Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

smdogs gone to the dogs/sm dog designs
Kansas City Missouri
Website

real-fur-front-side.jpgreal_fur_front_and_back.jpgreal_fur_label_mark.jpgHi all,

What is it???????

I have a question about a piece of fur my mom bought at a Garage Sale. The lady said it was real fur, but did not know what kind.

The piece looks like it was a short hooded jacket. The lining was already taken out. It is a very pretty med brown color. The top is curly (it reminds me of a loop carpet). The back has all types of running stitches when it was sewn. They look like the fur was looped over ans was caught in the machine to make the curl. The stamp mark on the back says martin-rice ltd and then under that london.

I think it would make an very cute bear, but I am afraid if I cut it the loops in the fur may come undone and become straight again.

Any help or advice

Thanks

Sheryl

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website

it's Persian Lamb.  the curl is natural and won't come undone, although you might find it difficult to work around all the piecing seams

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

yup....Persian Lamb. They make beautiful bears, a  little difficult to work, but not too bad (not like rabbit that flies all over the place)

Pandamac

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Sheryl , it is for sure Persian Lamb,  it's not that hard to work with actually as long as the back of it is not to stiff. If it's soft and subtle you can make a bear as small as 8" with it.  We have done so many bears with them, I have seen them in black, grey, chocolate brown, the rarest I have ever seen was a very light tan colour. 

Good luck with your new purchase,  and no the curls are permanent and won't come uncurled.

big hugs

Shane

Kansas City Missouri
Website

Thank you all for your help.

I am really looking forward to working with real fur for the first time.

I do have one more question?
Do you think I need a lining for this bear I am planning on making with it?

Any other helpful advice is welcomed.

Kelly your vulture is just wonderful. Thank you again for your help. Any easy way to work with the piecing seams?

pandamac thank you again I hope I can do the fur justice. This is my first working with real fur.

Shane The back is very soft and flexible. There really is not much fur there but I think I might be able to get a 10" bear from it at least. I love the color of it a very pretty med to dark brown. The other colors sound wonderful as well.

I will have to post a picture when I am done.

Thank you all again.

Hugs to all,

sheryl

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Sheryl
Yes you do need to line it in order to protect the integrity of the fur and in order to stuff the bear without having the pelt seams come apart on you
Hugs
Gail

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Absolutely line it!!!  Even though the lamb tends to be robust, you'll want to fully line it for durability.   bear_thumb

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Yes Sheryl I would line it for sure,  with the persian lamb you will notice it is made up of lots sewn together pieces, lining it will help to keep them from coming apart. 

Love to see a picture when your done.

big hugs

Shane

Kansas City Missouri
Website

Thank you again everyone for all of your help.

I will be sure to post pictures when I have finished my new little bear.

Hugs to all

sheryl

Board footer