Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

bearbottombears Bear Bottom Heirloom Bears
Nova Scotia Canada

teddy-talk-1.jpgI love making diorama's!  bear_wub  This is only number 2 but I think I'm hooked! It takes me back to art scool when we got to work with all kinds of materials. Pip is 7" made from semi sparse mohair.  He has open and close eyelids. Now that I've finally fingured out how to do them I want to put them on all my bears. He has an open mouth with a dusty rose ultrasuede tongue. He has bendy arms and wobble legs and is weighted.  His feet are sculpted and shaded.  Squeek is 2 1/2"-  a little felted mouse with ultrasuede wired tail and ears. I made his tiny fingers from wire with epoxy and paint. The mushroom...oh I love making mushrooms, is made from styrofoam, sculpy and paint... and so on and so on... can't wait to start my next project...after my back and neck recover  :crackup:  So, what do you think?
Gail G

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

Gail what a sweet pair!!!!! bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

Adorable!  Looks like you had a lot of fun with this art piece!!   bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Nova Scotia Canada

Thanks Melisa and Lynn...I was at a point where I was ready to give up bearmaking. I was in a serious rut..so I decided to try to think outside the box. The challenges that I've set for myself are really motivating me. Don't know where it'll take me...but the trip is fun. And your kind comments will keep me going.
Gail G

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

WowGail, this diorama is wonderful. You are very clever and just throw away the thought of giving up, your work is fantastic. Clever you working out how to make your bears eyes open and close, I've tried many times but I'm not as clever as you. Well done...I love the mouse he looks real.  bear_wub

Hugs, Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Nova Scotia Canada

Thanks Jane. I appreciate your confidence in me!  I have found this site  inspiring.  I figure if so and so can do it, so can I.  And with that thought in mind I keep plowing ahed. Keep trying Jane, you may just wake up at 4:AM as I did with a new idea that works!! :crackup: I've had to hide the mouse from my two cats.  They also think its real
bear_tongue  Hugs
Gail G

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

I think you have done a wonderful job with all the gorgeous little piece that make up this lovely group.  Miss Mousey is great.

Nova Scotia Canada

Thanks Christine, "Miss Mousey" was my first mouse.. felted or otherwise.  It was fun, but working with such small bits sure is dangerous to the fingers! I poked myself way too many times.  Must get some metal gloves for the next one :crackup:
Gail G

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Brilliant!!! I luv it luv it luv it bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  especially the mushroom, bear and the rat. hahahah YEP luv 'em all!! :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Nova Scotia Canada

Thanks Matilda,  Squeek is just a simple field mouse who has taken on the task of watching over Pip while he sleeps in the woods under his favorite mushroom  bear_tongue
cheers
Gail G

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

You might think that Gail but I reckon Squeek's up to no good.  bear_grin  Don't let him fool you possum. bear_grin  bear_grin

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:clap:  Lovely!!! I adore diorama's and this one is so sweet  bear_wub   I'm so glad you rose to the challenge...its turned out beautifully  :clap:

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

That is absolutey beautiful, well done. I can imagine you had loads of fun. Cant wait for the next one.

sanibear Florida

i think you did a beautiful job!!!! very nice the cute little mouse is fine,too..
how did you do the eyes?? any tips for the rest of us????
great bear + mouse i really like it
sandra

Nova Scotia Canada

Oh Matilda, I think maybe Squeek is hoping for some seeds in payment for being such a good little watch mouse.  bear_innocent But you're right, mice can be devious little critters, just cleaned out a whole nest of the little varmits in my garden shed!  bear_angry
Debbie and Carolyn, thanks for your comments...I did have loads of fun.  Got into all kinds of messes before I was through with it.. clay, and plaster and paint and glue...Nice change from just sewing.
Sandra. The eyes on the mouse were simple .. small plastic eyes with a shank that you poke in with some glue. The bears eyes are something I've been working on for a couple of years with several BAD ideas that didn't work...I only just recently figured out how to do it. So just keep thinking about it and trying things.  I don't think there are any shortcuts.  I'm not sure that anyone is "teaching" it yet. It's too new. I also think that no two artists approach it the same way. I've been making bears since 1994, and I am just now figuring out a lot of the advanced techniques..   Take the time to read the various threads on eyes and cheeks and muzzles etc on TT. And subscribe to some of the teddy bear magazines. I stopped my subscriptions a few years ago, thinking (wrongly) that I didn't want to be influenced by other artists work. Needless to say, I fell behind.  There is a lot of really good information available especially for a new artist. It's clear that you are eager to learn Sandy and that's half the battle. Good luck.
Hugs
Gail G

Board footer