Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I have been looking at the bears on this website and noticed that they are very very beautiful... my bears aren't near that “professional” yet.  How do I decide how much to charge for them? What do you base your prices on?

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

KBonsall,

I keep track of my time spent in bearmaking, and charge a price per hour, plus materials cost and a little markup for unaccounted for costs, such as transportation to the fabric/craft store, office supplies, etc.

Others may do it differently.  Happy bearmaking! bear_original

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Thank you for your advice bear_original  It is so hard to decide where to start first!

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hello!!

I struggle with this too.  I usually sell on eBay, what with working full time and having two children, I don't get time to do much else!!   I never sell my bears for much, I nearly always lose on my material costs let alone what time I spend making them.  I'm always being told, put them on for more, but I would be even more gutted if they didn't sell at all!!!

I'm going to be doing my first fair in October, and will have to put prices on them, I haven't got a clue!! 

I'll be interested in advice from this thread too, thanks for starting it!!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

:)Clare - I visited your website - gorgeous!!! I really like Sunset - If you dont mind me asking, how much did you sell it for?  Do you only sell them on Ebay???

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Hi!

I've been selling for ages and always work to a strict pricing code:

Materials (every single teensy weensy item!) + Labour (10-12 hours per bear ... no you can't charge more if you're slow unless of course, the bear is super duper clever stuff!) + profit margin (that has to cover all the 'unseen' costs of running the business ie admin/marketing/a percentage for premises etc etc etc) 

To sell to trade, I always lose my profit margin - groan. :(

It's not an easy business to make a healthy overall profit in, that's for sure!

It's also important to keep accurate records and receipts/invoices for all your business expenditure so that when the tax man calls, all your information is accessible ... and please don't ever think he doesn't call on us teddy bear folk - I've just had a tax inspection!  Fortunately, I was given a gold star (so to speak!) I can't tell you what a relief it was to told everything was in order.  Phew! bear_rolleyes

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

K . . . I sell bears by the inch.  When I started out 8 years ago, I asked a show promoter what the "going" price for bears was and she said $10.00 per inch - so that's the price I put on my bears.  A 10" bear cost $100.00, etc.  I've gradually raised the price over the years . . . now at $15.00/inch unless it has a handmade accessory like Hallie, then I go a little more.  Even at that, don't expect to clear much.  Teddy making is labor intensive and you won't get much for the hours you put into it.  That's just been my experience.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

bear_original Such good advice, Paula!  Geez, soooo much to think about, I mean other than creating the little critters!

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hi Again!

Thank you for your kind words, Sunset was a lovely bear made in really unusual gel mohair, but only sold for £33.00GBP, all that hard work!! bear_sad:(   He did go and live in the US and the collector was really pleased with him, so that makes me feel better!!!:D

One day huh...................!!?:rolleyes:

All my best wishes for your future success!!

Board footer