Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

bear_laugh I just started making teddy bears last weekend...  I have completed three so far and am eager to learn and make more.  I would like to start selling them (once I feel that they are good enough) on E-bay but wondered if I need to register my “brand” name for my bears…. I have thought of some names but didn’t know if I could just call them by a name or if  I needed to register or trademark… any ideas? bear_laugh

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

Hello:).
That's a good question:).
I have no ideas, but I feel concerned bear_happy (I have the same problem as you).
Amitiés,
Marion

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I have my name idea and ideas for hang tags and tush tags and such but I don't know where to start.  bear_ermm

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

KBonsall,

Hi, Welcome.  Do you have a seller's permit?  Here in California, there is no initial charge,  and then at the end of the year you send all the sales tax you collected to the State Board of Equalization.  I also had to file for a fictitious Business Name and advertise it in the newspaper because my business name didn't contain my own personal name.

Hope this helps.
Furry Bear Hugs,

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I didnt know I needed a "seller's permit"  bear_ermm My "brand name" for my bears kind of contain my name....  I work in a lawfirm so I probably could find out... I know that filing anything in a newspaper is ridiculously expensive though!  Only problem is that I am just starting out and don't have the money for all that yet....

sockerplinga Sundsvall
Website

If it is not your own pattern, I dont think you are allowed to sell the bear without premission from the maker. But if it is your pattern, then there is no problem.
I hope you can sell your bears soon!

Hugs,
Jossan

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I cant wait to start selling them!  Right now I am just doing "test" bears but everyone that I showed them to is shocked that I made it!  It is quite exciting - I know how happy I am to get a new bear and I would love to bring that kind of happiness to others!  bear_laugh

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

KBonsall

Welcome!  I started selling bears last year.  I did not realize that I needed a seller's permit, aka vender's license, until the show coordinator asked for my number.  It did not take long to get one though.  You may find the info you need on your state's tax dept. website.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

bear_original Millie - I will have to look into that!  Thanks for the info....

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

A big welcome to this message board, KBonsall!  Wow, 3 bears made in one week's time . . . I think that is great for a beginner!!! bear_laugh  I have never "registered" my company Past Time Bears officially, but did a search to see that I wasn't using a name that someone else was already using.  And yes, in the state of Texas, I have to have a Texas Sales and Use Tax Permit in order to sell my stuff anywhere . . . but I didn't have to advertise in a newspaper.  So, in that sense, I guess the name has been filed with the state government as a business.  I would imagine that the rules are different from state to state.  You may want to copyright your patterns after you start designing yourself, but I've never done that.  Also, if you go to shows out of state, you will have to pay that state's sales tax.  The paper work seems endless!  Have any photos of your bears you can share with us? bear_laugh

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hello hello Ms Kbonsal  !

Welcome to the board and the absolutely looneytune fun we have here.  I have to say I am amazed!  Wow!  3 bears in one week!!! and your very first week!!!  You are really getting going fast!

Good for you...the girl knows what she wants and nothing is going to stand in her way!....(or guy....)  kinda hard to know.  :/

We are so happy to have new voices here, with new ideas.  Look forward to getting to know you.  :)

Dilu  bear_tongue

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hello Sockerplinga

I believe you are our first Swede.....which is fine by me....maiden name Jacobson, married name Lundgren, I do believe in ethnic diversity, but somehow I ended up in another Swedish heritage family....:D

I would really love to know what kinds of styles you folks have there in the bear range.  I get doll catalogs and the dolls by the Swedish artists are quite different, unique and beautiful.

Perhaps if you have time you could post a picture or two?

Anyway so glad you are here, and I hope you share a lot with us

Dilu bear_original

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Welcome, Jossan . . . hope you have lots of fun here.  We will enjoy posting with you!!:) bear_original

sockerplinga Sundsvall
Website

Thanks for your warm welcome!!

Dilu.. Oh, to be honest.. I think that there are more people making nice porcelein dolls (or whatever they use to make them) then there are people making bears. bear_ermm
And when you tell people that you are making bears, they look at you, and ask what that is. Its like you make a bear = you make a toy. And what is that for kind of job?!
And when you say you collect teddy bears, they think (most people anyway) that you are nuts. Especially when you are my age I think. Im only 20 years, and a 20 year old girl that collect teddies, whats wrong with her? Im supposed to go out party, and stuff like that! Be more interested in my look then in teddies..
But I dont care, I love teddies, and my boyfriend likes them too, and my family has accepted it.. :)

But I think that bears do look the same all over the world, when they are "Made In Taiwan" (I dont mean anything bad or mean). And with artist bears.. Its the same there too, they have their own personallity and stuff. I think its pretty much the same like in the states.. But I will see if I can get some piccies and show you.

Oh, and Dilu, my mum´s mothers maiden name is Lundgren.. Who knows...? :P;)

Hugs,
Jossan

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Welcome, KBonsall and Jossan bear_grin

KBonsall, Good luck to your bear making :D

Jossan, hello !  I think I will be the super  nuts person  in your area bear_angry I make bears, I collect bears, only thing I talk about is bears ! hee hee
I'm glad you join here ! bear_grin

Bear Hugs/Marie

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

In the state of New Hampshire I did have to register my business name as a Trade Name with the state. This is so that, heaven forbid, I should ever get sued, I can at least prove first off that I am a registered business in the state of NH. (What good that'll do me I don't know but my business would be considered legal.) Secondly and more important to me is that no one else in the state of NH can use my business name or anything too similar to it. We don't have sales tax here so that was not a reason to register. I did not have to do anything further as far as the state is conecrned. I am a legal business just by registering the name and paying their minimal fee to keep my name active.

I do have to apply for tax id numbers from any other state I sell my bears in (at shows) and submit taxes with each of those states.

Definately consult the Penn. Secretary of State's office to find out what your state requirements are.
Good luck and welcom to the wonderful world of bears!!!
Hugs, Daphne

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Hi Kabonsal! It's a very good question. I will tell you my story.

We incorporated a company "Raspleberry Creek Inc." and paid to trade mark our name bears by beesley.

bearsbybeesley.jpg

It was a very expensive venture. I am not so sure that I would do it this way again. I am not so new to designing and making bears but very new to going into business with them.

We unfortunately have more debt than profit at this time which tends to take a bit of the fun out of it. When you start off in debt you feel a great need to sell sell sell.

I realized last week when I was so down in the dumps that the reason was because I am expecting perfection and quick sales because of how we started out. I have just finished a new design and baby bear today that I am very proud of that has not yet debuted but I have decided to relax and have fun with it.

Because I love it so and it is my passion since I became ill and disabled 4 years ago and no longer able to drive or work. Anyway sorry to go on and on but my advice would be to make your bears have great fun with them, get your name out there and perfect your craft. It will all come in time. HAVE FUN FIRST and foremost.

Hugs Louise and Garnet

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Gee... you guys are great - by the way, I female!!! I too collect bears, it started out with Boyds - I have 75 at least - I have two Lonnie St. Martin bears and got my first Knickerbocker yesterday.... With my love of bears, i figured, why not make them?  Art is my passion (not drawing or painting but pottery, jewelry making and now bear making!!!)  Although my bears are not what i hope they some day will be, everyone is very excited for me and can't believe that I made them, I am well on my way!!!  bear_laugh

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Okay guys, then I must be totally nutso...I have so many bears...I talk to them, and sleep with some of them and a few even travel in my car with me.  This is the norm around my house...if I leave the house without Bob and Sasse (two 10" bears)...my daughters will say ,"Wait , Mom!!!"...... and the run into the house to get them for me.:)

You get used to people thinking that we, bear artist's, make "toys"....ahhh but what expensive "toys" they are indeed!
I too, have often found myself explaining that what I do is a form of art...then I whip out the minin photo album...I like to let my bears do the talking.:D

Welcome Jossan...we have "met" already:D  and Kbonsal!

In Wisconsin we too have to register a Business name so we can pay taxes...BUT...at the same time everything I buy for my bears is a tax write-off too.  SO it works both ways.  It is wise to register because the LAST thing you want is a tax audit.   bear_tongue

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Welcome, KBonsal & Hi Again, Jossan, :D

Omigosh, Judi--

My husband has been urging me to register my 'business', and I keep saying that I haven't sold anything yet, so why not wait. I've got to check the Ontario rules&regs and find out if I can deduct supplies I've bought before actually selling anything. Taxes make me dizzy :(

Thanks for the inspiration . . .

Eileen

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Hi KBonsai and Jossan..... Welcome to the best bunch of teddy people I know, you will love it here.

I don't know much about registering , etc because I have not done it.

A doll reproduction maker I know told me long ago..."don't register until you have to"...because the start up costs will eat you alive..She said here in Oregon you don't need count your business dollars to claim for tax purposes  until you have sold over $900. In other words you are not considered being a " business" but you are in the" craft ,  bizarr catagory " in sales. Oregon has NO sales tax either.
If anyone knows any more than this on Oregon, please post...Winney

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Winney - I work in a lawfirm and asked one of the lawyers what he thought and suggested that since I am starting out, not to register my name yet - but if I become "famous" in the future to do so.... Like I said, I am just starting out so I dont have spare cash laying around - maybe some day though!!! I can always dream !!! bear_laugh

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Whew ! Thank's for that bit of information KBonsall....Winney

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

I just wanted to welcome you to the board Kim.  I'm sure you'll love it here.  We'd love to see one of your bears!!

I'm in Australia, so I have no suggestions to make regarding registering etc - but I just wanted to wish you luck with it all.

Board footer