Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

SGFOLKART SUE GORRIE FOLKART
West Coast

Does anyone have some tips for working with velvet?  I am trying to make a cotton lined velvet coat for my bear and am finding it a challenge not only because of the stretch of the fabric, but the pile affects the sewing.  Trying to do most of it by hand, but it's still hard to get it just right. It looks okay, but not as nice as I had planned.  Seems I end up with more or less fabric in one area making it uneven in the end, running out of lining or velvet. It's as if the pattern pieces were different sizes.  Perhaps my stitches are too tight? It ends up looking like the lining is gathered in some places.
Velvet_coat.JPG
Anywho, it's VERY frustrating!    bear_wacko
Any suggestions to making working with velvet easier????
Thanks
Sue

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Hi Sue,
   Don't know if this helps....maybe someone more experienced will post....But, I have used velvet to make a bear and had similar problems. I hand sew .....I used very small stitches and for every five stitches I used a locking stitch. This helped keep the "gathering" from happening to me.   I'm sure there is better advice out there.....and your little jacket looks great to me!   bear_smile

Hugs,
    JeannieB bear_original

Nimbly Bears Nimbly Bears
The Great Bear Rainforest
Website

Hmmm....  Hoping you would have had some answers to your question as enquiring minds want to know.  I often have the same problem and had my velvet edges just fall apart as it sheds so easy.  On another note, I really like the shade of blue you've chosen and think the jacket looks darling.

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website

I treat velvet the same way I do pile fabrics and mohair - I fray-check every edge of the pattern piece, shave the seam allowence. and I don't use pins or alligator clip, which can crush and mark the pile, but 1/2" binder clips from Staples, which hold tight. flip off easily and don't leave marks if you clip to the seam allowence.

fray-checking will help stop the shifting and streching of the fabric and stablize it, much the same as it does when you coat the inside of knit=back furs

for more tips on working with velvet:

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Sew … Velvet.htm

Angela Angela's Bear Garden
St. Catharines, Ontario

Great advice! I was going to suggest to always baste your pieces carefully before sewing to prevent the garment fom slipping or puckering. The link kellydean left has excellent tips!

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Shane and Steven of the Bear Guys could most likely help you with this as part of their penquin costumes was velvet- try tp pm them
Hugs
Gail

Taiwan Angel Love Bear Forever

Your coat is beautiful. I have some experience in velvet and hope those will help.

1st While cutting the velvet, make sure you will have your cut piece in all same direction (one way cutting).
( Because if you cut in 2 ways, it will have different shade happen in your coat.)

2nd while sewing the velvet with and un-stretch lining, I suggest -
1. Sew from inside out. leave a hole at the bottom then turn it front so it is more easy for you to control the sewing.
2. Pin the cut piece before your start sewing. So while you hand sewn or machines sewn you will not pull the velvet fabric and make them un-even.
    Pin will not destroy the fabric so do not worry about it.
3. Soft fusing interlining add in placket and collar. With the fusing interlining the velvet fabric will not be stretch.

Hope this will help.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I also fray check but very carefully and try for just the edges. I dont pin but I put in little basting stitches and knot them in all the key points. I do this with all my pattern pieces regardless of what fabric or what I am making.
And I do it this way when I make them little coats. Works for me. The stitches can be removed after its sewn.

The Rabbit Maker The Rabbit Maker
England
Website

Velvet can be a nightmare because of the nap, that's why your seams can end up different lengths, it creeps as it sews. Make sure you have notches/ marks on your pattern pieces to match the pattern, and transfer these onto the fabric pieces. This way you can make sure your pieces are matching as you sew. If you sew on a machine, usually a machine with 'differential feed' is used this prevents the creeping.

You could try putting a strip of tissue paper between the fabrics as you sew, this may help, and make sure you match up, this will help to know where to ease in the fabric, if neccessary. If you can neaten the edges before you start sewing, this will prevent fraying. Either hand oversew or zig zag on a machine.

I love velvet it does look great, but it is a nightmare.

I made  an outfit from velvet once, in my art college days and I actually glued the hem with a fabric glue, it worked a treat. So if you get really desperate you could just glue it together ?

mickeyflip Sunshine Coast, QLD

Can you not iron a non-stretch backing onto the back of the velvet?  Like the stuff from Sassys...dont remember what its called!

SGFOLKART SUE GORRIE FOLKART
West Coast

Here's my new bear wearing his little velvet coat. Thinking of putting him up for auction, but I really want to keep this one!  bear_wub  Hope he goes to someone who will give him some love and kisses and not just keep him in a glass case.
Thanks to everyone for the tips! I did try out thicker thread. That helped a bit. I think I will glue the seams next time as I did have them tacked every inch and it was still a problem. To iron the collar flat, I used another piece  of scrap velvet on top with a cotton dish towel over that on low heat, so as not to crush the pile. Velvet definitely requires alot of patience!
SG_bear2.jpg

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

WOW doesnt he look handsome bear_thumb  I can understand why you would want to keep him. He looks like he would be just the right type of bear to tell all your secrets to. A trusted discreet bear.
That jacket looks like it was worth all the pain bear_thumb  Theyre wonderful together Sue.

Board footer