Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Laurie Brady Bears By Laurie Brady

Now,  I hope this question has gone to the correct place -

I've been experimenting with an open mouth teddy.  She has a light pink ultra suede tongue, and I've coloured the roof of the mouth with a black copic marker.  The problem is that the black is rubbing off, onto her tongue.
What am I doing wrong?  Is there a better way?

thanks
Laurie

teeeej Brisbane

Try setting the copic marker by heating with a hair dryer. I learned this trick at a class I took once, it stops the copic marker from continuing to spread as well.

I'm making a bear with an applied bottom jaw myself at the moment. The roof of the mouth is felt sewn onto the bears head. This is then needle sculpted to give the roof of the mouth a bit of shape.

----------
Therese

Therese,
Thank you for that tip. I'll certainly give it a try.

Is the felt piece set in (like a foot pad) or is the felt simply sewn ontop of the mohair fabric?

I've not had much experince with sculpting, but I would imagine that a felt roof would be easier to sculpt that the mohair fabric.  (I've probably over stuffed the head for sculppting purposes)

My bear's mouth is quite  small - I'm not sure if I could work an inset, felt mouth though.  I have a little fabric to spare - I'm going to give it a try -
Thanks again - I'ed love to see the bear you're working on.
Laurie

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

When I do an applied open mouth I've sometimes needlefelted the black felt onto the top of the mouth instead of sewing it.

Marion

teeeej Brisbane

In my case the felt is sewn on top of the mohair (the area is shaved). You do have to be careful not to stuff the head too tight - I found that out the hard way. It doesn't sculpt as nicely. I'm just putting the final touches on my bear - actually he is a puppy. I will post a picture as soon as I am done.

Needle felting would be a nice way to do it as well. I suppose you would sculpt the area a bit first then do the felting, making sure its not too thick or your bear would end up with a big fat upper palette.

Therese

Therese, thanks for clairifying - I'll give the wool felt a try (I wasn't very keen on colouring such a large area)

Marian - needle felting sounds interesting too.  I bought my daughters a bunch of wool and needles to keep them occupied over last summer holidays They made some surprisingly beautiful creations - (surprising because of their age,  5 and 8 yrs.) Any way - I have the stuff - I might just give this tecnique a go as well!

Laurie

forgot to ask - Marian, do you needle felt the wool overtop the shaved mohair fabric?

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

yes, I shave the mohair, but instead of using roving I use a piece of wool felt (not acrylic felt) and needle that on. You can cut it to the size and shape you want and it will needlefelt on nicely and not be to thick. You can then do your needlesculpting on top of that and if you need to hide any stitches, needlefelt a bit on top of it.

FrizzyBear New York

Wow, that's amazing that you can needlefelt over shaved mohair.  I was wondering how artists were getting this to adhere to the muzzles and paws of the bears I have been seeing.  I thought they must use some kind of glue. 

Am I getting this right?  How fun!

teeeej Brisbane

Yep. You do not need any glue at all!! The needles push some of the wool into the muzzle and this is what helps it stay there.

Therese

I thought about doing the same thing!( felting a piece of wool felt to the mouth) but wanted to try the suggested ways first - next one I'll give it a try.  Just have to add ears and my bear is done.
Laurie

Board footer