Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Kristina Kristina Bears
Edmonton
Website

I tried to do a search but didn't find what I was looking for.  I generally use ultra suede for the whites of my eyes, I would like to try to use something else and I heard about liquid paper being used. I think it was a pen of some kind, But for the life of me I can't remember who said it or where I saw it. I thought it would be a neat way to try!
Does anyone know what I'm babbling about???  :pray:
Hugs
Kristina

K Pawz Guest

Hi Kristina, white acrylic paint works really well to!

Hugs
Krista

Kristina Kristina Bears
Edmonton
Website

Thanks Krista!!  :hug: 
I was just thinking if a white paint would work and what kind to use.....aaahhh great minds think alike!!!
Hugs
Kristina

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Crappola!  :doh:  I can't find mine.  I think they are just a liquid paper pen.  You should be able to find it at a office supply store.  I would go to one and tell them that you need liquid paper in a pen and I bet they take you right to them.  Sorry I couldn't be more help.  If I find mine, I will email.

Hugs,
Alison

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

Hi I have used uni-ball Signo which is used in cloth doll making for the whites of the eyes and it works well too.

Hugs
Raewyn

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

Another idea to try....I have been cutting felt and then apply craft glue and then using a dolls needle to push under the eye area......a bit fiddly as quite often the felt pieces are very small..

Must give the old liquid paper pen a try....

Kristina Kristina Bears
Edmonton
Website

Thanks for the tips!!! :hug:
I will be out later on today I will have to check it out. I think I may give the white acrylic paint a try also. I'm in the mood for experimenting...moooohahahah.... :crackup:

Hugs
Kristina

julie1313 Posts: 2

Hi Guys  bear_original

I am a total novice and new to this site.  I am enjoying scrolling through all your comments and tips and I am learning so much. May I ask please were I can buy those adorable eyes that look up at you showing white at the bottom.

Julie   bear_original

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Hi Julie, if you look at the top of the thread on the left hand side, you'll see a drop down list for the Library, next to the wee guy with the waving arms.  If you look up eyes in there you can see how to make them (you can't buy them like that)

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Hi Julie - Welcome to the most comprehensive forum online!! You'll find every type of textile discussed here, bearmaking and beyond: as Katy recommended just go up to to the upper left-hand corner to that fly-out list titled LIBRARY and you'll find every type of topic listed there, gong back in the forum's archived history.

On the whites of the eyes, many artist create perfect circles to place under their eyes by using 'punch tools'. I don't know what size bear and other creation you work with: mine have always been minis. The prices online and styles of the same punches vary widely—prices from $20 to over $100 for the same product.
Your heading doesn't show whether or not you're located here in the States... I recently purchased 2 from 2 different companies for $20 each, they worked quite differently: one takes much coaxing to slide down the barrel and much twisting my wrist - horrible for this arthritic to use though the circles are perfect with both. The second tool rides smoothly down the spiral grooves and the circles are also cut perfectly.

These are sold with a mind towards cutting out perfect circles, whereas we are interested in the actual circles cut. Depending on the leather or Ultrasuede® you cut into you may get a few straggler fibers around the bottom edge, which can be quickly brought into the circle by rolling it between your fingers for in few moments.

Here's the link where I bought the better one - Intern'l Design (I've ordered from them twice in the past month and they do ship quickly!)
http://www.ids-la.com/search.asp?keywor … earch.y=14
Pattern Making Tools:
http://www.ids-la.com/Pattern-Making-Tools_c_13.html
and the tool,
http://www.ids-la.com/Screw-Punch-with- … p_491.html

I ordered 2 extra punches in a 1 mm and 1.5 mm size from another company, which sells extra bits. Most punches are sold with the standard 5 included with this punch, which I found luckily through Amazon.

Here's the link for the extra bits: I use the punches for the teeny tiny toe pads on my realistic bears:
http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/ … ctID=18830

If you make standard sized and larger bears, perhaps others can tell you where they they bought the larger punches.

julie1313 Posts: 2

Thank you that is really helpful. I am starting to make 13" bears or roundabout. Its very adictive lol. I am in the UK by the way. Thanks for the tips re using the site and finding info.

julie bear_original

Lyn Parker Bears
Kristina wrote:

Thanks Krista!!  :hug: 
I was just thinking if a white paint would work and what kind to use.....aaahhh great minds think alike!!!
Hugs
Kristina

I use Pentel liquid paper which comes in a pen form with a metal nib. I have also used acrylic paint very successfully but find warm white is a better colour (not so stark).
Hope this helps.

Bear Hugs
Lyn

Boogaloo Bears Boogaloo Bears
united kingdom

Hi

I use white perle thread if I want my smaller bears to have the 'cute factor'. I just make one stitch where I want the whites of the eyes to be, ensuring the stitch is as close as possible to the eye.

I hope that makes sense!  bear_shocked

Hugs

Lisa x

suburban Chicago

Yes, sometimes carefully placed thread works just as well—or better—on minis to impart expression through the eyes, depending on where you stop and start the thread around the bead, as that gives the different expressions.

I used a light grey, heavy silk thread on this panda for a winsome, knowing sort of expression.

PandaEyeliners1.jpg

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

Does any one know where I could get the punches for the larger eyes? - 12MM
I have looked all over and found something that works but is not ideal.

Sandi

suburban Chicago

Does any one know where I could get the punches for the larger eyes?

Doesn't 12 mm work out to be around ½"?
I found some today! Receiving the Tandy Leather mail order flyer, they're having a sale on their hole punches, through 30 June 2011.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com

Punch1.jpg

Punch2.jpg

Punch3.jpg

thondra rosenheim / bayern
Website

i use something simular to this :
http://www.amazon.de/Mannesmann-M-667-L … pd_cp_hg_1 (sorry is german)
i am sure you find something like this in your area too
this things come like a tong, in sets with lots of diffrent sized cutter pieces to screw onto a handle ....
and all are very cheap

suburban Chicago

Yes, same thing - THX!

http://www.amazon.de/TOOLTECH-9-teilige … d_cp_diy_3
and
http://www.amazon.de/TOOLTECH-9-teilige … _sbs_diy_4

This type looks as if it goes into a socket set of some type:
http://www.amazon.de/BGS-Henkel-Locheis … _sbs_diy_5

The first two are hand-held and just hit on their ends with the mallet or hammer, without the need of inserting into another piece of equipment, like my screw punch in my first post about the very much smaller sizes.

Just google 'hole punch' or 'screw punch' and they are available and in different sizes. It just takes a bit of searching sometimes....

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I needlefelt the whites of my bears eyes.  It's about the only thing I do in needlefelting... must change that LOL!

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

Thanks for web links.  I can't wait to check them out.

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Needle felted, Ultrasuede, wool felt are all okay, but liquid paper? NEVER in a million years!!

Don't you know that liquid paper discolours in avery short  time ... if you are making bears to sell PLEASE give some consideration to those who are purchasing your bears thinking they will stand the test of time.

As a collector, I would NEVER purchase a bear from anyone who takes short cuts with glue or liquid paper when it could be beautifully done with thread and textiles!!

I'm all for being innovative and creative, but OMG where are we headed??

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

I'd have to agree with you there Sandi! Who knows what they put in that stuff anyway, could have an adverse affect on the fabric over time. I'm very leery about using anything chemically on fabric, including hairsprays and gels for gettin the hair to sit right. Besides I think the white of liquid paper is waaaaaay too stark!

Board footer