Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Has anyone ever noticed prolonged bleeding in his/her dog?  Our little cairn was running in the back woods and evidently scratched his ear on a briar thorn, or something.  It's the first time he's ever had an injury that broke the skin and it bled - and bled - and bled, etc.  I don't know how many cloths we used on him trying to keep it from bleeding.  When it seemed that we had it stopped, Bailey would shake his head and blood would fly everywhere, opening up the wound again.  When I finally was able to really tell what kind of injury he had, all I could see was a little scratch on the tip of his ear and the blood just poured from it.  Hemophilia?  We will take him to the vet this week to get it checked out.  Any thoughts?

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I do know there are some areas that tend to bleed and appear much worse than they really are.  If I remember right, it is because the blood vessels are so close to the surface.  And I think the ears are one of these areas.  If so, chances are that it is nothing serious at all.

BFB-Lyn Brimbin Forest Bears
NSW, Australia
Website

bear_sad Oh poor Bailey and a little scary for you too. I think you will find that dogs ears are bad bleeders, the mouth is another one. I remember when I was clipping one of my dogs I used the clipper on her ears and I accidentally nicked the edge of one of her ears and it just bled like crazy and there was hardly a mark there! To stop it I just put some pressure on it for a few minutes.

Hugs Lyn  bear_original

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

As a former Vet Tech, I can tell you that ears definitely bleed a lot. Also dogs will shake their heads and cause it to start all over. Do you have any styptic powder? If not, just patience and pressure.

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

A friend of mine had a Boxer with Haemophilia which wasn't diagnosed until after his op for desexing. Poor Jordan's ball bag swelled up to the size of a football!!!  bear_shocked  bear_shocked

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Oh Linda,  I just about spewed my water all over my monitor when I read your post  :crackup:  :crackup: ,  I mean I feel sorry for the poor dog but I wasn't expecting to read about Jordan's ball bag in your post.  Thanks for the unintentional giggle,  I"m off to bed now.

big hugs

Shane

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Poor, poor, Jordan!!   bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_tongue   Thank you all for your responses - we feel a little better now after the comments about ears bleeding so readily.  I did get on the internet and research cairn terrier health concerns.  There is a genetic disease called von Willibrand's that is characterized by prolonged bleeding due to slow clotting . . . but it is fairly rare in cairns, so we've decided there is no big problem.  I appreciate your help, my friends!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hi Sue Ann,
Yes, ears bleed a lot!
Do call your vet to run what happened by them just to be on the safe side.

Seems it was Cairn Weekend: My parent's younger cairn was in the doggy hospital this weekend... he'd been vomiting and had loose stools - turns out he had an obstruction and had to have his tummy pumped, IV fluids overnight, etc. He's fine now. Nothing foreign in his belly but vet says its from eating too much snow and his dog food swelling so much it caused a blockage.

Hope that ear has stopped bleeding for good now! Do let us know if its anything more serious!

Hugs! :hug:

Stellajella Wien

Oh SueAnn!
First of all: if it´s a small cut, no need to worry, but I guess, if it had been a big one, you´d have viosoted the vet already. The ears bleed so much, because they are so much more supplied with blood.
Still, I´d see the vet, so he´d put on some medicine to prefent an infection.
My dachshound had a time, when her hears bled a lot, and the vet showed me, how to wrap it properly. Duh! She came home, went to the bedroom, shook her head and teh blood went allllllll over the place. Even the ceiling and wall. ( Looked like I had killed somebody*G*)
All the best for Bailey!!!!

Gaby bear_flower

puca bears puca bears

Hi Sue Ann
you must be feeling reassured by now - but it is a scarey thing to happen.  I remember once one of our Wolfhounds tried to say hello to a squirrel - next thing he was POURING blood! I eventually found he had the tiniest nick on his bottom lip..........
and then our Bloodhound (one for GABY!)........their huge long ears are rather vulnerable, and one day he managed to rip a small piece off the edge of one - not much blood at all, but he was trotted off to the vet who stitched up the edge and told us how lucky we were that the blood vessel which runs around the ear hadn't been cut. Then he bandaged Humphreys ear to the top of his head, told us to be very careful as the slightest knock would start a bloodbath - and then went on holiday! Anyone ever tried to keep a big heavy ear bandaged????????? I had to resort to strips of band aid and just stick the ear on the top of the poor dog's head! and very fortunately - we had no problems.........
huggies
Maria

Stellajella Wien

Maria, oh, wow, you had a wolfhound! Amazing!
Now, what you write about bandaging Humphrey: it´s hard to keep the bandage on the ear so I gently pulled the ear over her head and slid the piece I cut from some panties over the whole thing to keep it tight. Did help for a while....

Gaby bear_flower

Us Bears Pennsylvania

My father raised hunting dogs when I was a kid.

The dogs got their ears cut up from running through brush on a regular basis.
They'd come back looking like they'd been through a war.

Lay them down, pet them and keep them calm.  Apply direct pressure with a clean cloth.
Don't try to clean the blood off the wound area until after the bleeding has stopped.
It'll take a while but it will stop.

Do Cairn Terrier have naturally floppy ears?  Or, are they naturally pointy at birth?

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

OOOOH Shane I hope I didn't give you nightmares!!!  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:
And Maria you sure do like 'em big dontcha?  bear_wub  bear_wub

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Oh, Sue Ann.  I hope you figure it out and he gets better soon.  Cairns are just adorable.

Big Hugs!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Hello, again . . . a call to our vet assured me that it was nothing to worry about.  He only supported what you've all said - the ear does bleed profusely and unless it was torn/ripped, it probably wouldn't need any treatment.  So, thanks to you all for the advice and support.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: 

Randy, cairns' ears are usually floppy at birth, but gradually become erect and pointed during their first year.  Bailey's never did - they are still floppy - and he's three years old.  Every once in a while, one of them will stand upright for awhile, then flop over, so he's not up to the 'standard' requirements of a cairn.  But in all other ways, he fits the breed type.  A BIG dog in a LITTLE body and soooooo cute!

Bailey.jpg

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

That is great news SueAnn, what a cutie he is!!!!  bear_wub
Glad everything is ok  :hug:

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Lop-eared dogs are sometimes more prone to ear injuries in the field.  That's why cropping the ears came into fashion.  It was to prevent them from being hurt.  Nowadays, since most people don't hunt with their dogs, this is just a useless tradition.

I wouldn't recommend it.  Bailey looks good just the way he is.
At three years old, I wouldn't do it anyway.

Most of our dogs had floppy ears.
We had English Pointers, Brittany Spaniels and one English Setter.
The spaniels and the setters rarely got hurt ears.  It was the pointers that got hurt because they had short hair whereas the others had long.  The hair acted as a kind of protection.

The down side to the longer hair comes when the dog gets into the cockleburs!
It was always us kids who had the job of picking them out of the dogs' fur!  ICK!!

We also had a couple of German Shepherds.  They had pointed ears.
We never hunted them.  They aren't hunting dogs.
But we did take them out and let them run with the other dogs on occasion.
They never got hurt like the other dogs did, even though they usually ran in the same pack together.

Anyways...  I'm glad Bailey is better now.  bear_original

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Daphne, I hope your mom's and dad's cairn is okay?  I bet that was scary, too.

Board footer