Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Cathy Forcino Apollo Beach, Florida
Website

Does anyone know how to import a web page to the description section of an ebay listing?  I've tried putting the web address in the html tab as well as pasting the entire source code in there.  Nothing.  No good.  I would love to have the ability to build my listing on my website since I know that program.  Would be eternally grateful for the answer - I know there's one out there   :hug: 

Here's a sample page of what I want to be able to do:

www.CathyLynnForcino.com/duffyspecs.html

I'm just being stubborn and don't want to learn Auctiva, Seller Sourcebook or anything else.  I won't, I won't, I won't!  Unless I have to..........  I already know WAY more about this stuff than I want to know  :crackup:

Hugs,
Cathy

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Cathy,
     I use my own template and I do exactly what you described, but I do it in Auctiva.  I always have trouble when I use Ebay directly.  I just copy and paste the html into the area for the description.  I have had glitches a few times, but for the most part, its a breeze.  Did you know you can import your own template through Auctiva?  I find it much easier than Ebay.  Sorry if this doesn't help you.

hugs,

Brenda

Website

Hi Brenda,

I was under the understanding that with Auctiva you can only use click to enlarge photos.  Is that the case?  At least that's what they told me. 

Hugs,
Cathy

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Kathy, I always make my listing elsewhere (Robshelp.com) and just copy& paste the code into ebay.  It works fine for me.   Does any of your listing show up at all, the text part maybe?  The photos do need to be stored somewhere with a link to them in the listing.  You can't just have them on your computer and then inserted into the lsiting text.   I use photobucket , but there are several to choose from.   Does that help at all ?

EDITED TO ADD: 

I just tried your code from the link you gave in a test ebay listing , the text does show, but the photos & outer background aren't there.( You can see the text and black background if you click on "STANDARD" instead of "HTML" in the description area after you paste in the code).   I think saving those photos elsewhere and just inserting the link where the photo code is should help.
KATHY_F.jpg

Website

Hi Tammy,

Thanks!  I did copy and paste and it worked perfectly.  Except it starts at the very top of the auction and covers up the listing info.  In other words, all the specs on seller, the bidder box, everything is covered up.  Grrr.  This really should work, but I'm missing a vital part somewhere.  Boo hoo.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Sounds like you know more than I do Kathy bear_original  I'm sure it has to do with the page alignment coding etc., but all that html coding is over my head  bear_wacko .  I'm sure someone can help you though.

Website

Thanks Tammy, but I WISH I knew this stuff ;-)  I know a bit about html, but apparently not as much as I need to know to get this done.  Shoot, I'm almost there!

Website

Hey Tammy,

I did the same thing with my test page, only I copied and pasted.  It worked great - all the photos were there, etc.  BUT, it started at the very top of the page.  Wierd, huh?  Like I said, I think I'm missing one key thing here to make my life a breeze :crackup:

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Cathy,
I can't help you but my friend Janice Woodard, Booh Bears,  knows how to do this.  She's out of town right now but when she gets back, email her.  I would try her next week.  She's a member of Teddy Talk so you should be able to send her a private message.  She's so sweet and I'm sure will help you if she can. 

Hugs,
Alison

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Hi Cathy,  I finally broke down and paid for Seller's Sourcebook.  I ahte the way ebay does their listings now and Auctiva does supersize all pictures and you have to have that carousel.  Seller's Sourcebook was super easy to use and I am happy with their templates and the way they post their pictures, everything. May be worth the time and save your aggravation.
Joanne

Website

Thank you Alison,

Let me know when you hear from her.  Hey Joanne, do you have any active listings right now?  Maybe I should have a look at Sourcebook.  I signed up but if I don't have to use it, I'd rather now   bear_rolleyes

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi Cathy!

I used to use Seller Sourcebook but stopped when I went on sabbatical a few years back AND decided to cut back on eBay sales and concentrate on sales from my website.  Around that time I'd also decided to try my hand at html coding.   

With hand-coding, I like that I can custom design every aspect of my auction listing.  But I don't have an easy way to code my auction page -- I use Notepad, ack!  So primitive! -- and I admit, I REALLY miss the ease of Seller Sourceboo, where everything is "check this box" or "drag and drop photo here."  In fact, I miss that ease so much that if I ever finally get back on the fulltime bearmaking bandwagon on eBay, I've already decided the convenience and ease of use at TSS will make it a worthwhile business expense right off the bat.  After setting up just one auction, it's pretty much a breeze to use.  AND you can create an About Me page to match! 

All this... Just FYI, if it's the learning curve that's worrisome.

Website

Thank you Shelli!

I am going to have to do just that - get on Seller Sourcebook.  Boo hoo.  My web program is so nice and easy and I already know it, but Cyndee's hubby said I can't really transfer some of the language properly to ebay, so it will be sloppy.  OH NOOOO I can't have that.  So, I do just what  you said.  I'm crying uncle  :crackup:

Hugs,
Cathy

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Hi Cathy bear_flower I use an auction layout that was made for me by Penny Davis quite awhile ago.  I had tried so hard to do my own, as it sounds like you are doing, but just couldn't get it to work.  It was almost right (sounds about the same as yours, actually), but pictures would be over the top of other things and all messed up.  Anyway, Penny told me at the time that the coding for eBay is difficult....they don't accept most things and are very particular about how it has to be written.  Lucky for me, Pen made up my template for me and saved my bacon.  Also did the About Me page for me, bless her heart.  Perhaps Janice Woodard will be able to help you as Alison suggested.....I know Penny is unavailable these days (miss you, Pen!).  Otherwise, maybe someone else can step in to help.  I just wanted you to know that it's not you or any major lack of understanding on your part; it's eBay that makes it extra difficult.  Maybe they want people to use their templates and things, so there is a reason things are so particular? Anyway, find someone who understands the code well enough for eBay's specifications, and you'll be okay.  It is so much simpler to be able to make up your auction yourself and just paste it in, instead of having to build it on eBay, or even Seller's Source Book as that has a membership fee involved.  I used to use SSB, and found it very easy to use, but hated having to pay the membership when I don't list very often.  I was very happy to finally have my own template.  Best of luck to you getting this sorted out! :hug:

Website

Thank you Tracy!

Now I don't feel so stupid -  :crackup:   Hmmm.  I like the idea of having a template made for me.  Or two or three!  I'm going to see if there is someone on eBay selling them - has to be, don't you think?  I sure appreciate all the advice.  Everyone is so helpful!

Hugs,
Cathy

Bloomsburg, PA
Cathy Forcino wrote:

Thank you Alison,

Let me know when you hear from her.  Hey Joanne, do you have any active listings right now?  Maybe I should have a look at Sourcebook.  I signed up but if I don't have to use it, I'd rather now   :rolleyes:

Yes Cathy I do, here is the link if you want to see it
Joanne
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … RK:MESE:IT

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Hey Joanne,
I went to your link and it's not working but I did click on your eBay under your name and it took me to your auction. I wanted to see your bear too!! Cute!! I love the bunny!! bear_wub

Bloomsburg, PA
Bubble-Up Bears wrote:

Hey Joanne,
I went to your link and it's not working but I did click on your eBay under your name and it took me to your auction. I wanted to see your bear too!! Cute!! I love the bunny!! :love:

Thanks Cindy,  I fixed it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … RK:MESE:IT

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

I'm going to see if there is someone on eBay selling them - has to be, don't you think?

Oh, most certainly, I would think so! bear_thumb   If not there, then perhaps on Etsy?  I wish I understood it all well enough to help you.  All I'm able to do is take out my old pics and description and put in the new each time.....all the while leaving the other stuff alone.  If my template ever really gets messed up, I'm in trouble! bear_ermm

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Cathy,
     I use a template that was made for me by Penny Davis as well - it's too bad she isn't dong them anymore.  Like Tracy says, it's so easy to build your auction and then just copy and paste it in.  As I said, I use Auctiva cuz it's soooo simple AND free!  Can't beat that LOL!  Good luck with finding a template or two that you really like and you can use on Ebay.  Here's a link to my last auction if you want to see mine.  The pics don't enlarge, but they are big to start with.
http://tinyurl.com/dlgkde

hugs,

Brenda

Murrieta, California

Hi Cathy,
This lady has some nice templates in the victorian style that you like.  Right now she is having a sale. Buy 2 and get the 3rd free.
Hugs,
Cyndee :)

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/In-My-Cedar-Chest

Murrieta, California

Oh and sorry Todd couldn't figure it out for you!!
He stayed up until midnight and I made him quit trying and go to bed!!  He had to get up at 3 am for work!! He gets going on something and you can't drag him away!! Gotta love the guy though!  bear_wub

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh, reading some more in this thread of course these other bear peeps are right.  You can BUY a custom template which makes it a bit easier.  I've not done that personally but I know there are a billion people selling them at good prices.  You might check Etsy for that, too; there are a lot of designers selling graphic and web design products there, customizable to your needs.

www.etsy.com

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I used free template makers then just copy and paste into the html part, easy peasy. I then purchased a lovely template (just click ebay under my avatar to have a look, the details are at the bottom) that I now use. I use Photobucket to store my photos and just change details in the html part, it really is easy and explained when you get your template.

Densteds Densteds
Website

Hi Cathy,

I use these free templates, just click on whichever one you want and the HTML code will come up, then copy & past and I use photobucket as my picture host.
There's some for autumn/winter, summer/spring, & Christmas/holiday.

http://www.isdntek.com/demo/fall/templates.htm

http://www.isdntek.com/demo/spring/templates.htm

http://www.isdntek.com/demo/holiday/templates.htm

Board footer