Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Well,. I expect great things from my photos now, the hubs found a light box.

And that is why I am writing

e-bay has several sellers that sell tones of light boxes.....soft ones that fold up into nothing (which given the size of my house sounded beary good to me) and also ones with acrylic panals.  There are a ton of sizes too.....and if you get go to the oldest stuff first, where the auction is almost over and no one has bid....well your competion is considerably lessened.

Anyway, for under 40 dollars including postage you should be able to get a good sized light box.......Some of the selllers are making up for prices in postage, it would seem, however if the price is low enough....hmmmmm

anyway, just passing it along

als for those who are late to the party like yours truly, they also have laminators....all kinds of laminators......enough laminators to cross your eyes and dot your Ts.  :rolleyes:

ok......nuff said

bear_tongue bear_tongue

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I've seen those on Ebay Dilu and wondered if they were very good quality.  Let us know how you like yours once you start using it. 

Shantell

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

I got sick of looking for the PVC pipe to make my own...it seems no-one here in Aussie land has it. So I just bought a light tent off ebay too. It just arrived this morning and I am thrilled with it (haven't taken any pics in it yet so stay tuned). I am in the same boat as you Dilu in that I really have no spare room at all, so I bought one of those fold up ones that's kinda like a spring loaded frame. It folds down into a package the size of a dinner plate..perfect! :clap:

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oooh I'm glad to hear you purchased one Hayley and Dilu.

Would you both pleasssssssse send photos when you have tried it out and let us know what you think?!?

Danni

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I love using a light tent.  It has really improved the quality of my photos.  I bought mine from ebay.  They have several available.

Australia

Will do Danni...at the moment, I am having an argument with it. I doesn't want to 'collapse' like it's meant to.! I know you are meant to grab the corners and twist, but I don't want to force it in case I break it. I've got it folded flat, so if that's the best I can do I'll be happy with that, but would be happier still if I could get it back in it;s carry bag.

OK Gossip time. 

Whenever I say "Judi says...."  The Hubster sits up and takes notice.  I think he has a crush.

So the other day I actually spoke with our Miss Judi on the real phone and one of the subjects was light boxes.....welll the next thing yu know.....

Wooohoooo......now what do I need that i can talk to Judi about?  bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin
Nothing like a quote to get the ball rolling!

:hug: :hug: bear_wub bear_wub  Thank you Miss Judi...... bear_wub bear_wub :hug: :hug: Mr. " you spent a lot of money this summer"  is watching a laminator and won the light box today.

Now, I really have to be good.....havetohavetohavetohavetohaveto......... :twisted:

bear_tongue

Australia

Lol! Dilu...my hubby is the same!!! I think HE has a crush on Judi too! When I mention her name, he says, "Oh, is that the foxy blonde!" :lol:
He's lucky I love him so much!
I don't dare show him the one of Judi with their cow! bear_wub

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

I was just researching and reading an older post about light boxes, then what do ya know...everyone is talking about what I"m looking for. My fiancee was trying to explaing to me something about taking pictures. He said he was going to build something for me...and apparently it's one of these light boxes. Well, I'm not going to hold my breath for him to build it quickly, so it would be great if you gals who just got one would let me know how they work out for you.

Hellllloooooo Miss Sandi!!!  Pleased to meet you!  We haven't met, but I do love your avatar bear.  What an absolute doll!.

Hmmmm.....you're right of course, he isn't a doll he's a bear, but oh such a cutie pie bear!  bear_wub bear_wub

Hayley! you made me laugh out loud  bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

We could have a sub forum.....hubbys who have crushes......She's so talanted and sweet and loving and beautiful....I would rather my hubby have a crush on her than just about anyone I can think of.

Awww Heck....I have a crush on her Too! :hug: :hug: :hug:

:P

and now that we have embarrased her we better change the subjerct.  And it is 84 F in here.....the wood stove works to good....beter reopen the door.......yikes....84.....but if you add in hot flash equations doesn't that make it like 104?

bear_whistle

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Thanks, Dilu
I've been sneaking around here for a few weeks. I finally decided to register! Please do let us know how the light box works out for you.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Right girls. I have used a home made light tent which is now a long way past it's sell by date so i am going to buy a new folding one. What size would you reconmend for taking pictures of my bears. The biggest bear being 18 inches. Anything over that I use my friends studio.

Jane  bear_original

The one the hubs got is something like 38" square.....or is it 36"  I don't know.....but he analyzed my largest gollies and largest bears and said that was the sizer I needed.  Doesn't this just sound like a retired engineer?  He is so cute when he does this stuff.

Me i would have just said 'yep....that one"  and gone on about my business

I will most def let you all know how it works when I get it.....

Dilu

Australia

tent2.jpgThe light tent I bought is this one....it's 24"X24"x24".
I make bears up to 14 inches and was a bit concerned that it would be a tight fit. I was worrying needlessly....I could fit an army of bears in this tent and still have room to swing a cat. Okay, well not an army....

Anyway, I think this size would be fine for bears up to about 18 inches, but if you sometimes add props or like to photograph more than one bear at a time, then go for a size bigger. I *think* the next size up is 30" or something like that.

I did a quickie experiment outside yesterday. Just plonked the tent down on the grass in the back yard and placed a dark brown bear in it...just the white tent, no background. The sky was overcast. I gotta tell ya, I was having a nightmare photographing this bear, but the pics from the light tent show true colour and I can see all of this bear with no shadows. Every other time I have tried to photograph it, I have ended up with a blue colour cast and the pics have been really washed out. I am looking forward to setting the tent up with lights....I just know it's going to make a huge difference to my photos having this light tent.
AND the best this is...I succeeded in folding it back into it's little pouch...which once again, is the size of a small dinner plate...perfect!

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Hi Girls,
I bought my light tent on eBay for about £20 - it's 36" x 36" and is absolutely perfect for the job. I can't recommend them enough, if you can afford one get one - they really make a difference to the photos you take.
Mine have gone from totally crappy to just a bit crappy - not bad eh?

Penny  bear_rolleyes

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Wow thats cool, do you have a link for a seller on ebay? :pray:
I don't have much room either, storage is a problem for me too, this looks like a great idea.

The guy I bought from is in California....so it shouldn't take too long to get here....it can't weight very much...After reading Shellis info on photography again and then everything here.....and having so few days of sunshine between September and June I think it will be a big help.  I don't usually use props, but then I thought it might be a good 'excuse' to have fresh flowers in the house all winter.....

Hi Karen

maybe you can find it from here

http://photography.listings.ebay.com/Li … ngItemList:?

bear_tongue

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

HI Karen, just type in 'light tent' in the eBay search box and you should come up with loads of them - if not try photographic equipment.

Penny  bear_rolleyes

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Me too! Me TOO!!!
I am watching 6 or 7 light boxes right now!!
:pray: I want one too!!!
:lol:
Kathy

Deb Upstate New York

Hehe ... you cracked me up Kathy!

I did the PVC thing, but since I have all of about $5.00 invested in it, wouldn't feel bad about replacing it.  It folds, but is a little awkward (I didn't glue it ... yet).  We'll see.

I'm very interested Dilu, in that whole "Honey, Judi says ..." concept.  I'll have to start working on that.

I could fit an army of bears in this tent and still have room to swing a cat.

I'm going to remember that one!   bear_grin

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I'm soo glad this has come up. I was looking at those light tents on ebay a while ago, but the light tent was only $1 and the shipping was crazy expensive. So I got all weired out and never bought one.
Maybe I should though, they sure do sound good, and I really like how they fold away. That is the main reason I never built my own.
Thanks
Heather

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I could fit an army of bears in this tent and still have room to swing a cat.

Has anyone ever tried to actually swing a cat? It's not as easy as it looks...especially if you have a Manx.

:lol:

Marion

Marion,

I am laughing, with a Burmese on either side, of me, they don't like it when I laugh though....disturbs their beauty sleep. 

Swinging a manx.....by the whiskers?  :/

Sounds like a recipie for cat scratch fever.....

bear_tongue

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

What are you all talking about what is a light box, i never heard of it what dose it do am i missing out on samething should i have one.

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Dilu, thanks for a lot of light box information !!!  :dance:
I need the light tent too! 
I tried to make one by my self but I gave up..... I have no talent
to creat anything other than bears. (Oops..  :doh:)

Hayley, thank you for your photo !
Now I kow what to look at E-bay,

Hi Fran, Light box = Light tent.  :whistle:

Hugs/Marie

Board footer