Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Laurie Brady Bears By Laurie Brady

I've been working on a bear that is "outside my comfort zone" since last November.  I am quite excited about how it's coming along, but,  boy oh boy, is  it out side my comfort zone!! 
I'm at a point now, where I'm searching for eye alternatives.  I am looking for a more human looking eye and want to add whites. 

One option I'ed like to try is to use a taxidermi type glass eye, (without whites), and play around with felt, leather, paint etc.  there is plenty of previous discussion on this topic, so alls I need only to get cracking on this matter!!

Now, my other option is to use realistic (or doll) flat, oval, glass eyes.  My questions are;

1. If I go for a flat, glass, oval eye (with whites) how do you attatch them?  Is  grazy glue with an eye lid going to do it?????   
Secondly, If I understand the sizing correctly, an 8mm oval glass eye has about 4mm of iris.  Would this size work for a bear that would normally use a 6mm traditional teddy bear eye?
And lastly, does any one have a favorite supplier?  I've searched the internet, and there is quite a range of prices with only a few suppliers offering the smaller sizes(equivilent to a traditional TB eye size of 6mm - 8mm).  I've narrowed  my choices down to a place called "Minni World" & another called "Schoepfer Inc"  Any one heard of them?

Appreciate any help.
Thanks
Laurie

FrizzyBear New York

These are all good questions and I would enjoy hearing from those more experienced.  I have purchased from Schoepfer a number of years ago.  They have nice eyes and the service was good at that time.  Good luck with your project!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Thanks Ladies,
Mini world has a good selection of small sizes and colours, but their web catalogue looked out dated.  I'll call them after the long weekend and  let you know what happens.  I figure I'll get a good range of sizes, sample the colours and go from there.
Laurie

Manuela Furry Critters
Website

Ok my english is bad but i try to anwer...
I have used taxidermi glas eyes without loop ( flat eyes) for my last fox.
You can buy this eyes here:
http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/
I have used apoxie sculpt ( or magic sculpt) a two-part epoxy putty to sculpt a wire loop on the back side of the eyes. Let 2 days dry and you can use it as normal glass eyes. You can paint the putty with acryl paint white.

hugs
Manuela

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I also use flat back taxidermy eyes from VanDykes.  I needle sculpt a socket, use good strong water based glue, and glue them in.  I then felt eyelids around the eye.
Joanne

Thanks all  -I can't wait to get started.  I'll be calling today for my eyes.
Laurie

Well, I orderd from Schoepfer's today - They were very helpful and I now wait anxiously for my order to arrive. I have flat backs and wired eyes coming in, so I'll be doing a lot of experimenting.
I'll let you know how it all turns out.
Thanks again for your input.
Laurie

enchantmentsart Feather Heart Creations
TX

Depending on the supplier sometimes if it says 8mm eyes it's talking about the iris only & not the whole eye, so be careful of that & it's good to ask the company.  I once ordered what I thought was 16mm eyes total around and it was just the iris so the whole eye was more like 22mm  bear_shocked
Also I glue my flat back eyes in.  I have done dragons where I cut sockets and then glue the eyes from the back side but it's more work than it's worth I think  bear_laugh I've used both needle felted and leather eyelids
And I get my eyes from http://www.glasseyesonline.com/

Yes, the iris:white proportions do vary between manufacturers, so even if they specify if their measurments are with whites or not, the iris may still varie considerably!

tindlebears Tindle Bears
Xenia, ohio

HI! I know this post is rather aged  :crackup:
but I have to say my favorite supplier of eyes is artistique.com  the colors are amazing! I used them exclusively for my reborns.  I would stay away from mini world, they seem to be slipping these past couple of years.
You could also slit the fur and push the eyes through, forming a natural "socket" just a thought :)
GOOD LUCK!!!
ren :dance:

That's a new supplier for me - I hadn't come across that site in my search.
I did get my order of eyes in from Schoepfer's.  They were extremly helpful and I was very pleased with the product.  I ordered a few different types and sizes, and I found their sizing description of eyes with whites  to be reliaby.  (their 10 mm for what I would normally have used a 7mm).  I intend on ordering more from them, but will certainly check out artistique.com .  Who knows what I'll find there! :dance:

Laurie

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

I just checked out artistique.com and the domain is up for sale.

Hugs, Jane.  bear_flower

Okayyy, so it's back to Schoepfers.

I love this place - saves a person so much time!

Laurie

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

Hi

Could www.shopartistique.com be the website Ren mentioned?
Regrds

Sue

Thanks for checking out that site - they have somereally neat looking eyes as well.
My show is this Sunday - After that, I'm onto the new bears and will be trying out the eyes I bought.  I'll let you know how they work out.

Laurie

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

http://www.pabol.com/store/view/3/acrylic-eyes/

This is a great place for eyes!  I use a lot of them with my reborns and I really like this place...

Board footer