Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Owl New York City, NY

So I've been making bears for several months now, and with each one I've worked out a few more problems until there is only one big issue left - I still can't embroider a nose.

I'm doing vertical stitches over a felt template, working out from the center. When I reach the end,  there is always a little "ledge" at each side of the nose where the thread slips off and won't cover the template. In an older post several people suggested using layers of templates with the largest one on top, and that definitely helps but doesn't solve the issue for me - I still have felt showing. I also tried thinning the felt in the problem spots, but I can never get it thin enough to fold down and disappear.

Anything else I can do?

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Hi Owl.

My suggestion would be to gradually tighten your stitches as you work to the outside of the nose, this should help to keep the thread in place and stop it from slipping.  You don't say if you are only doing one layer with the floss, if you are I would suggest doing a second layer over the entire nose starting with the edge of the nose you finished at (I hope that makes sense)

hugs

Shane

Laurie Brady Bears By Laurie Brady

One source to the problem may be that your bear's snout (- the mohair part) is the rong shape - (possibly too pointy or not centered), causing the stitches to fall off the nose template. 

Another reason may be that ithe snout is too loosely stuffed, in which case,  the stuffing may be moving as you work the embroidered nose.  Try different stuffing types in the tip of the nose, until you find one you like the feel of and can get the stitches through nicely.

Noses are a big challange, so don't get descouraged.  And don't be afraid to cut out a job you're not happy with - the nose is on the best part of your bear!   Practice, peactice, practice.  (boring, I know, but it really is the case).

Good luck
Laurie

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I've always had the same problem using a felt template, so I don't use them.  There are other methods out there as well.  I like to stitch the outline of the nose shape first and use that as my template.   Laurie is right... keep practicing,  it really works  bear_thumb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Those corner stitches that fall off drive me crazy! I began needlefelting a wool template onto the muzzle instead of using a piece of felt. This way I don't have a thick piece of felt underneath that might move around or buckle and I don't have those thick edges on the sides that my stitches want to fall off of! Yet I still have something under the embroidery to keep the little mohair fibers from poking through and to make the surfece nice and smooth. It works great and now I don't think I could ever go back to felt.

All you need is a little wool the color of the embroidery yarn you are going to use, a #36 felting needle and little piece of foam to shape the wool loosely into the nose shape you want before then poking/felting it onto the muzzle. You don't need to be a needlefelter to do this! You can buy basic felting kits at lots of yarn/fiber shops and on line - Edinburgh sells them and you can find them on eBay!

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

I never did get the hang of embroidered noses and now needle felt most of mine. Sandi Smith of Bearlysane does wonderful noses. Here is a link to a tutorial she did in  Australian Bear Creations. It is a pdf file so you have to have adobe reader. http://www.woodlandspublishing.com.au/a … 20tech.pdf

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

I just use a pen that is air erasable - so with time the pen marks just disappear. I draw my nose on and stitch over - although I do have the advantage of some 5 years + Cross Stitch experience.

Owl New York City, NY

Thanks for all the great tips! I have a lot of things to try now, and I'm sure something will work well. I like the felting idea especially. And I'll definitely keep practicing. bear_original

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

I agree that the nose embroidering is the hardest tp perfect...I have tried vertical stitching, needle-felting but at the moment I am trying the Ted Menton way...horizontal stitching and then I am applying nose shine.

I am still practising and learning.....

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Denise:  Where do you get the nose shine produce...does it have a name?

I've tried the template, tried outlining the nose first as Laura does, but still have trouble getting things straight. The bear I'm working on now...I used Paula's techniqued which is just to begin stitching from the middle to the left, then the middle to the right. I had to go over it more than 2 times, but I do like the way it looks. Practice, practice, practice. I'm going to keep trying this method til I can do it in two passes as Paula does.

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

Nose shine can be bought from any good bear supplies or you can water down craft glue and use that (I think it is a one part glue to 3 parts water) Just paint it over your stitches and while the glue method isn't as shiny it still works,

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

Thanks Clare....yes I bought mine from a bear fair.    I have used the watered down PVA too

It doesn't hide uneven stitches though,   so don't use it to hide things!!!

customteddys Custom Teddys
Juneau, Alaska

This is a very informative thread, as noses are challenging for me also. I got the nose gloss from Sassy Bears.. http://www.sassybearsandfabrics.com/. Vicki

Board footer