Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Hi I wondered if anyone had any tips for me for making patterns when trying to re-create a specific bear?

So far I have made a few of my own patterns, with a rough idea of what to do - e.g. I have wanted a wide head, so have changed the gusset; same with a short nose.

I haven't had a precise bear that I have been trying to make - just a rough idea of features.

Now I want to re-create a specific famous bear and haven't a clue where to start.

I haven't got a model I can drape to re-create the bear from, just a couple of pictures.

What advice can you offer me to help?

Here's what I'm going to attempt to re-create - hopefully!

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5467843

What is a good material to make a 'test head' out of? something that will hold the form similar to mohair but obviously, nice and cheap and easy to sew as all my bears are 100% handsewn.

bearyfun732 Cutiepie Bears

tape paper together to make a quite reasonable model of the bear's head.

tindlebears Tindle Bears
Xenia, ohio

You're gonna need a concept drawing! LOL Draw what you want your bear to look like, as acurate in proportion as possible. It doesn't have to be detailed but you also want to keep the original concept piece by tracing over it when you need to make adjustments.
There is a book called desigining the doll by susanna Oroyan.  It explains a little bit about casting a pattern from concept art.  You could also try a book by nancy tillberg called 101 bears to make. Great book, but you'll have to get it  from your local library unless you got 100 bucks to spend.
It explains proportions, and some pattern development. 
Email me if you have anymore questions bear_original ren
www.tindlebears.artfire.com
tindlebears@yahoo.com

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Thank you. I have 101 bears, it is a great book  bear_happy  I also own "A bear of my Own" and "Teddy Bear Art" so i do have a few books on the subject, it's jut a scary prospect.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Some (though I never tried it) make a head out of clay and sculpt  it the way they want it to look. Next drape it with paper towels to make a pattern. That might help.

Board footer