Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Hi everyone~ I have been studying the tips and techniques related to embroidered noses and have come up with a question.  I like the idea of attaching a felt template to stitch over.  I work primarily with recycled mink, and the nose area simply cannot take alot of extra stitching back and forth.

Question-when you attach your "template", light glue I suppose, how do you stitch under it.  In other words, if you are simply making your nose stitches between the actual muzzle and this felt piece, how can you do it when there is glue in there?

Hope this makes sense   bear_shocked  I have been using sculpted noses but would like to get back to embroidery if I can figure this out

Thanks so much !

Lee Ann

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi, Lee Ann.  Actually, the stitches should go into the nose area . . . through the mohair (or fur) and stuffing, then up and over the template.  Repeat that process until the nose template is covered and firmly attached to the fur.  Hope that makes sense.

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi Lee Ann,
When I do a real fur bear, I like to use a template.  I stitch the bottom part of the template to the bear using a backstitch or whip stitch then I put stuffing under the template.  When I have the nose nicely stuffed I finish sewing the template to the bear.  Then I do the satin stitch nose but I don't go into the leather of the bear.  I stitch through the stuffing in the nose.  That way I don't have all those needle holes in the leather.  I will put a few stitches through the leather but most of them are through the template stuffed nose.  I hope you can understand what I was trying to tell you.
Donna

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Thanks so much Donna and Sue Ann!  I really appreciate these tips.
bear_original

Board footer