Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Seraphim Seraphim Bears
Belleville
Website

Hi all:

I am just wondering if anyone knows of a a supplier for Kapok? I found one on eBay but the shipping is too high and I know I saw a supplier on line and now I cannot find it. If anyone is willing to share I would be very grateful.

Thanks
Michele

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hi Michele,

This link is from an Internet search, not someone I've worked with, but the price looks good. They're in the US: http://www.zafudesigns.com/pages/kapok_ … DAodtlirdw

You might try your post in the Tips & Techniques section rather than here, though. More members might see it there.

Good luck!
Becky

Seraphim Seraphim Bears
Belleville
Website

Thanks Beckie! That is a big help... however I thought I was posting in tips and techniques? Thats what it says at the top of my screen? Oh well, your information is a great start! Thanks so much!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

The post is in the right place now. I found it in "Technical Help" this morning. (Not sure why.)

If you do try the Colorado kapok source, or if you find another source that you like, could you please let me know? I might like to try an alternative to polyfill.

Best regards,
Becky

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Have you tried CRS craft supplies?  I'm not sure, but I think they may carry kapok.

Seraphim Seraphim Bears
Belleville
Website

Hi Becky: Sure if I find somewhere I would be happy to let you know. I can tell you that currently I used ginned cotton and never polyfil and I LOVE it. My bears are very old in feel and it lends well to that. It is a bit heavier and firmer than your polyfil so you might like to try that for a change of pace. It can be found at Gerry's.

Seraphim Seraphim Bears
Belleville
Website

Hi Nina

Unfortunately they do not seem to have any Kapok and only have fiberfil and plastic beads - too new for my liking.

Thanks for trying though!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Thank you, Michele, for the tip on cotton stuffing. I'll check out Gerry's.

Like you, I want my bears to feel old. I recently tried wool stuffing in a bear's head, and I love the weight and firmness. It also takes to shaping and needle sculpting much better than the polyfill. It is pretty costly, however. (The search goes on!)

Best,
Becky

artbyrjandreae artbyrjandreae
Johannesburg, California

Wool is fairly reasonable at http://www.weirdolls.com It's under core wool.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Michele, I found this post in our library under the "Stuffings/Fillings" section.  http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=4275

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I LOVE wool for stuffing.... if you get the right wool.... some is just too bouncy. I've been wanting to try cotton and will look for a US supplier at some point... it sounds like a wonderful alternative! I did NOT like kapok! End result is nice but it's miserable to work... in my opinion!

eatcakevintage Eat Cake! bears and vintage
Ormond Beach, FL

The wool and cotton I get at Gail Wilson's site is the best I've worked with http://www.gailwilsondesigns.com/catalog/supplies.html. The wool is also the least expensive and highest quality I've worked with. A little goes a long way. Even though I don't make dolls I love looking around at her site.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Gail is a lovely person and her work is so much fun to look at! Her pattern instructions are incredibly detailed... takes an engineer to decifer it all (well, I had to get my hubby's' help once - he's an engineer! LOL) I believe she gets her wool right here in New Hampshire. bear_thumb

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Great tips! I know that the topic got away from Michele's kapok question, but it's been very interesting to read about all the stuffing options and to find some good suppliers.

Thanks to everyone!

Becky

Seraphim Seraphim Bears
Belleville
Website

Thank you so much everyone. It has been a while since I checked back into this thread but I was thrilled this morning to spend my sunrise surfing through Gail's site! What fun. I use to be a doll maker and still love my primitives and might just have to take one of her on line classes for old times sake... cause I have soooo much spare time.... not! Anyway it really was a great morning and seeing as how I am very fond of my cotton stuffing I am planning to try some of Gail's and some of her wool also. I will let you all know how it goes. I currently get my cotton stuffing from Gerry's so we'll see how they compare.

Have a creative day!

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

I don't care for kapok. Too much lint!
I use excelsior to stuff my heads firmly, it takes needle scuplting well, holds its shape, and it is much easier to push a needle through.
You can order it through uline, they also have a great selection of shipping supplies.
Here's the link to the excelsior:
http://www.uline.com/BL_1972/Excelsior- … =excelsior

Board footer