Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Nikki79 Old Country Bears
Los Angeles, California

Hi,

Sorry to bug you guys again, but does anyone have any advise on creating teddy bear patterns.  I have made many kit bears and simply don't know where to start with my own.  Is there a good book out there?  Is it trial and error?  It strikes me as really tricky when you take into account the sizing of say the side head pieces and the head gusset and the shape/angles involved in these.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.   bear_original

bearyfun732 Cutiepie Bears

if you look at the free patterns section of the site, you will see that sue ann has created a very good pattern for a teddy bear callled Goldie. take a look at those pattern pieces. they are the basic shapes and sizes of an average (regular) teddybear. the other wrinkles and stuff are created with effects such as trapunto pawpads, needlefelting, fabric sculpting-and lots of it if you want to make a realistic teddy bear. if you have trouble lining up the head and the gusset-im sorry, i have no suggestions for you. i learned that mostly by trial and error. i only can approxiamate. hope this helped. bear_grin

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Thanks much for the compliment, Medlyn!  Nikki, check out the library (right above your post on the left side) under the "Patterns" section.  There are several threads that might be helpful to you.

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

I found the encyclopedia of teddy bear techniques very helpful when learning proportions of pattern pieces -

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Tedd … 474&sr=8-1

It has a great, simple easy to follow instructions and I am still finding it useful - some of these sellers have it second hand for $4!!

There are many great books out there, but this is a good, easily affordable start!

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Hi Nikki
Between kits and creating your own pattern, I suggest using a pre-made pattern like Sue Ann's Goldie, which has already been mentioned.  It's fairly easy and makes a lovely bear.
Then try altering the pattern.  Baby steps.  It's how I learned, although I never did a kit.  But there's nothing wrong with using other's patterns, for your own enjoyment. 
There are many good bearmaking books.  I know, I have most of them!  bear_whistle 
   :hug:

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

I started by using someone else pattern.   Seeing I had been sewing clothing for my family for many years, it was easy to start with a pattern, then altering that pattern and after a while just being able to create what I wanted instead of what someone else had done.  I also bought lots of bear making books.  I have drawers full of other peoples patterns.....someday I should give them away as I don't even look at them anymore.  Like Laura said baby steps and you will soon be creating patterns in your head.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

My most FAVORITE book for learning how to design teddy bear patterns is Teddy Bear Art:  How to Design and Make Great Teddy Bears by Jennifer Laing.

If I was only allowed to have one book, this would be the one that I kept!

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA
Laura Lynn wrote:

My most FAVORITE book for learning how to design teddy bear patterns is Teddy Bear Art:  How to Design and Make Great Teddy Bears by Jennifer Laing.

If I was only allowed to have one book, this would be the one that I kept!

I agree with you Laura Lynn, a very wonderful book!

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I'll also agree with Laura Lynn, if you can get your hands on the Jennifer Laing book it's one of the best.  The Teddy Bear Encyclopedia is very good as well for learning new techniques.

One can never have enough teddy bear making books  :crackup: .

big hugs

Shane

Bloomsburg, PA

Amazon has this book, the least expensive used is $42.00.  Here is the link.  She really does focus on designing, which is what you want.
http://www.amazon.com/Teddy-Bear-Art-De … 280&sr=1-3

Los Angeles, California

IMG_0048.jpgThank you sooo much guys.  Again super helpful.  I will check out those books and start designing as you all suggested.  I had a free afternoon the other day and I was itching to make another bear.  I had no mohair left so I cut up an old pair of jeans and made an inside out denim bear.  Not a cute, conventional looking bear, but if you wanted to make an evil, scarey looking bear, then this is great fabric to use! Thank you again for your advise.  :hug:

Los Angeles, California

IMG_0049.jpgCouldn't resist adding this one of my cat Sally who is not afraid of Scarey Bear!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Awww!  That guy is definitely cute!  He's just not fuzzy bear_happy  NOT evil or scary at all!

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Hey Nikki
I like your denim bear!  It's original and I like original.  He's not scarey at all.  Does he have a name, besides Scarey Bear? He needs a happy name! 
Thanks for posting the pics!
  :hug:

Bloomsburg, PA

Not scary at all, very sweet.  This is a great idea for when you are designing.  You can really see what you like and don't like about your pattern before you use the expensive fur.
Joanne

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I like your bear. Certainly nothing scary about him. He is rather clever. I like the way you think.
Very creative! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  bear_thumb
Wendy

karenaus Melbourne
Website

cute and very clever of you- I love how you used the rivets for the eyes and the yellow thread for the nose, very creative! Look forward to seeing some more of your ideas bear_original

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Nikki: Your bear is so cute!! I can bet you will design fantastic bears...I recommend Ted Mentens book (along with those mention above)...

http://www.amazon.com/Menten-Teddy-Stud … 237&sr=1-1

kerrenmorris K M Bears
UK
Website

Hi,
That is how I started 12/13 years ago, I bought a basic pattern made up the bear and then used the dimensions to make patens of my own.
Then progressed to making the whole pattern my self, I had hundreds of different patterns, only last week I went through all the patens I have ever made and threw awayall the old ones. Now when I make a new bear I make completely new paten, I use cardboard cereal boxes to draw my patterns on. I keep them in zip wallets.
Beary hugs Kerren

Los Angeles, California

Thanks guys, as always  super helpful.  bear_wub

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Nikki
You might also want to consider taking the online course  on designing your own bear through EBearz University
www.kranbearys.com
Hugs
Gail

Figartteddy Posts: 14

Hi everyone, I would be grateful if someone out there could give me some advice or instructions on how to calculate measurements to make my own teddy patterns, for example if I wanted to make a pattern for a 16in bear how would I do that? I have tried to find tutorials on this but have been unable to find any. I would like to make my pattern freehand rather than computer aided as I am hopeless on computers, any advice would be much appreciated, thank you in advance!Mary.

Board footer