Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Thomas,
Where's the photo of you hugging the statue?  bear_original

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio
ThomasAdam wrote:

I never cared for Carebears myself -- way too girly and commercial for my liking.  Paddington Bear is where it's at, and remains, too [1].  :)

-- Thomas Adam

[1]  http://www.vagabondjourney.com/2008-1/0 … n-bear.jpg

Paddington is totally where it's at for me, too, but I must say that I have a soft spot for Care Bears. This is because my son Brendan went through a phase of loving Care Bears when they were re-introduced a few years ago. ( I thought the newer ones where cuter than those of the 80s) It started when he was three of four and lasted a couple of years.  He had a green one that he carried everywhere called he called G'Luck Bear (Good Luck Bear) and I made him an adorable green Care Bear Halloween costume and a Care Bear birthday cake.  He had them in all colors and would line them up in "rainbow order" at the foot of his bed.

I have introduced my both of my  sons to Paddington, of course, and Brendan not only read all of the books and did a special project on Paddington for school--when he made his first Teddy Bear last year, he made Paddington. I've posted this picture before but...
Brendan.JPG
Yes he really did make this bear himself and his coat and hat (with minimal help from me)
lighttest4.jpg

Murrieta, California

Oh my Tami !!
He did a fantastic job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bear_original

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

Hubby's bear is called Kenny (short for Kenworth).  This is a photo of Kenny_1.jpghim on a recent holiday

Murrieta, California

Great picture Clair!!
lucky bear!! bear_grin

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

I have really enjoyed reading this topic and agree how incredibly important a special item, like a teddy bear, can be in comforting someone, be it child or adult.  I sometimes think the appeal to a child of a teddy bear is that from a strictly design point of view, their eyes are looking directly at you, which is a great initial "emotinal" attachment, and also most teddys are designed to have their arms outstretched, which makes them look like they are ready to be held and given a hug.

When you look at a teddy with outstretched arms, I think you have the urge immediately to pick them up and respond with a cuddle.  Perhaps a little more than say a toy horse or duck or whatever, that doesn't have that "arm" body language talking to you.  Am I making any sense at all?

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Oh, goodie!  We're posting Bear pictures!  :D

BearsWedding.jpg

As I said, our Bears were in our wedding.
We don't ask personal questions to our Bears but we're pretty sure they got married too.  ;)

Out of all the different types of plush animals, Teddy Bears are the most human like.  As such, they promote a more human emotional connection than other types of animals that aren't.  Big eyes and round faces promote bonding.  There is something hard-wired into the human psyche that creates this reaction.  Basically, it is the instinct to protect and care for our children.  The shape of a Teddy Bear's face stimulates this instinct.  This is probably why Teddy Bears are so popular and why they become wildly popular in times of unrest.  The "protection" instinct is strongest then.

Tami, your son's Bear is AWESOME!  He doesn't even look like a home made Bear, let alone like the first Bear a kid ever made!
Sure, it helps that he springs from a Bear-making mother.  I'm sure you advised but it is clear.  Kid's got talent!   :thumbsup:

Clarebear, it looks like Kenworth had a good time on holiday with you.  Do Bears travel with you often?
There is at least one Bear with us whenever we travel.  We went to Wal-Mart and made a dog tag from one of those engraving machines they have in the vestibule.  The traveling Bear wears that tag around his neck on a shoelace at all times when he is away from the den.

It's always so difficult to pick which Bear goes traveling with us!   bear_wacko

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow, Randy . . . very nice wedding photo!  You and Melanie make a great looking couple as, of course, do the bears.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Yes I agree, your bears fit in to the wedding party just perfectly., one of the family.  My sister also had at teddy bear themed wedding,  I made the bride and groom bears., the bride bear had a dress just like the real bride.  They were happily placed at the head table.
Joanne

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

I love the wedding picture.  That is so great that you had bears with you.  I too made a bride and groom set when our son and daugter-in-law were married 18 years ago.  I made the clothes for both of the bears to match what the bride and groom wore.  The set sat at the head table and were photographed with the couple.

Board footer