Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Sheryl Tuckerbears
Colorado Springs, CO

I am in Texas right now because my "non legal husband" had to come down for work... Well, while he is at work I get to play. It is so pretty here!

The problem is.... it is too freaking HOT!

I was wondering... is it always like this? We have been to Austin and San Antionio and both are so hot that I sit in my hotel room and read. If I go anywhere I have to walk and just to walk a couple of blocks is not fun. He wants to move down this way in a couple years..... YIKES. How do you do it... do you get used to the weather???

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Hi Sheryl, yes it does get HOT!!! I'm from Texas, grew up in Odessa. That is west texas and the heat does not seem to be as bad there as it is in say Dallas & Austin.
I think it is just something you have to get use to over the years.
That is like me living here in Colorado now, I will never get use to the cold winters and the snow. I just freeze to death and I have been here for 5 years now.
The summers in Texas are tough but the spring, fall & winter weather is fab....sometimes you can lay by the pool on thanksgiving weekend.
Hang in there, wear cool light weight clothes and pin your hair up! :hug:

Sheryl Tuckerbears
Colorado Springs, CO

Thanks Tami..... Yes Colorado can be very hard to deal with. I grew up in the springs and hate the cold.... Thanks for the tips... my hair has been up all week. It is

WONDERFUL

here at night and if it is only this hot for a few months I might be able to live with it if we ever did move here. I just never felt this kind of heat before and the humidity is crazy!

I have to say after thinking about the last couple winters of shoveling snow it does make the heat here look a little better.  bear_wub

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm a Texas native, Sheryl, and live in the Dallas area.  Yes, indeedy, the heat is terrible in the summer and combined with the humidity, it's like being in a sauna.  Did you visit the River Walk in San Antonio?  Super great fun and beautifully festive at night.  Go to the mall right on the river and you can shop (or window shop) in air conditioned leisure.  Then there is the Mexican marketplace, "Mercado", where you can eat wonderful Tex-Mex food (Mi Tierra's).  YUM.  And Austin is terrific, too.  Just spend as little time outside as possible and enjoy the air conditioning inside.  Barton Springs is a great place to go in Austin, by the way.  Yes, one does get sort of used to the heat . . . I definitely prefer it to living in a colder climate.  And, as Tami says, the other seasons are hard to beat.  Although autumn in New England is certainly more colorful than in Texas.  Hill Country and east Texas probably have the best fall color.  Anyway, try to have fun.

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

How hot is hot???  Because I'm in Phoenix and it's 108 right now.  And, don't say it's a dry heat because there's puffy white clouds in the distance.  That means the monsoon season and humidity are here.  If there's a pool, stay nearby or stay inside!  Drink plenty of cold water and I hope you get back home and to cooler weather soon!

Hugs,
Alison

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Well in Dallas, it was 100 yesterday, 101 today, and supposed to be 103 tomorrow . . . 100+ on through the weekend with lots of humidity.  After the temp hits 100, it's just plain HOT!!!  My sister lives in Tempe and hates to come to Texas in the summer because of the heat + humidity - she positively wilts.

lulubears Posts: 280

I live in Austin, and it hit 105 yesterday.  We've had temperatures over 100 for the past 12 days now.  It was not supposed to get below 95 during the night.  I think it's just a matter of getting used to it.  The humidity in Austin is not as bad as it can be in Houston or even further East Texas.  It's pretty miserable there in the summer time.  On the flip side, I never wore more than a sweater all winter long here.

People are moving here in record numbers and I have to wonder how long they will last onc they've spent a summer with us.  LOL

We work outside as we do construction work, but are finding it much easier to start earlier in the mornings as it is a little "cooler".  If you find yourself in Austin, let me know.  I'd be happy to give you a tour!

Luann

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I'd like to come back for a visit Luann  heehee  I am in need of some BBQ. Maybe next spring we will make it back as our friends in San Antonio want us to come for Fiesta.  OH gosh  and I NEED  Pralines  yummmmmmmmmmmmy.   We will certainly look you up again when we are back in your neck of the woods.

big hugs

Shane

lulubears Posts: 280

Well, you guys just come on down anytime you are ready.  The door is always open, and the BBQ will be ready.  As for the pralines, no problem.  Maybe I just need to send you a "care package".   Hmmmmm.....Are you going to be at Daphne's Chicago show?  If so, I will bring some with me then.  If not, I can surely send you a box before.  Of course, I could always do both.  some for now, and some for later.

Luann

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Well I know for sure that Steve is going to be at the Chicagoland show, if we can save up enough money I may show up as well.  We are trying to save pennies as we have four shows within about a month of each other so lots of expenses with flights and hotels and such.  If you give them to Steve they might make it home to me  bear_grin  bear_grin .

big hugs

Shane

Board footer