Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Jaina, thank you so much for highlighting this problem from another perspective  :hug:

You see, to me, if you feel that a purchase was below par for any reason, you should be able to give an appropriate rating, ie to mark as you see fit and thats right  bear_thumb 
Ebay in a way is influencing the marks you give (the whole reason for getting rid of seller feedback was to enable buyers to give honest feedback) Now you know that anything below a 5 could endanger that sellers ability to list again. So possibly affecting the star rating that you would give, I know it will me in future, when buying........................does that make sense

To me a 3 should incur a warning to the seller and say that they have the next 10 listings to increase that average

So  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  :hug:

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

I didn't know this about ebay and hope others that didn't know learn something.  I've only bought 1 or 2 bears on ebay though.  That stinks that happened to you, Karen.

amybajk Posts: 1

New ebay policy- 5 free listings

Ebay is now offering Free listings- with a catch of course- you have no choice but your first 5 listings of each month are free- but when the final value fee is calculated it is at the 8.75 percent for the whole purchase price instead of the original 8.75 for the first $25 and 3.75 for the remainder of the auction- so my auction that ended at $149 which was listed free ended up costing my $13.12 instead of the $7-$8 it would have cost me before the free listing- so the only way to win I was told is to do the 5 free listings for either very high listings $1000 or over or very low listings under $25- you have no choice you have to take the free listing

Old Policy

* Listing fee - $2.00
    * First level commission (8.75% of first $25.00) - $2.19
    * First level commission (3.5% of the remaining $125) - $4.38

The total cost under the old policy for selling your $150 PVR would have been $8.57.

New Policy

* Listing fee - Free
    * Commission (8.75% of total amount) - $13.13

The total cost under the new policy for selling your $150 PVR would be $13.13 or a whopping 53% more.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

There IS a way to opt out of the free listing... I can't remember where it is.  I just list 5 patterns for sale instead.. easy bear_original

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

You are right Laura Lynn but I don't remember either.
If you call eBay from your My eBay Page they will walk you through it. bear_original

ThomasAdam Thomas Adam
Southampton
Website

Well, that's bollocks -- well done EBay.

The problem isn't the damn number a seller gets (1 - 5) it's the fact that the entire rating means nothing because it is open to complete abuse -- with the requirement that a buyer is not obligated to give feedback in that regard -- I know I shamefully haven't when I have used EBay (all two times, I might add.)

To be honest, this is only giving other potential auction websites notes on what *not* to do, with the prospect of rival companies starting out.  Good, I'd say.

What a complete load of bunkom.  My suggestion would be to part with EBay --- yes, I appreciate that's where the masses go to look for stuff, but with things like etsy -- you've at least got a captive audience guaranteed.   :)

-- Thomas Adam

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Hi
I only list one bear a month and I've been worried about this new rating system. I have always sent alot of emails, keeping the buyer updated, but recently I decided to go with free shipping also.

I'm sorry you're having to go through this difficulty Karen.  It sounds like there are some other great sites to check out for your sales until you can list again on eBay.
Lee Ann

artbyrjandreae artbyrjandreae
Johannesburg, California

If you import your listings  through Auctiva or a similar service the final value fee and insertion do not change. However. Auctiva has recently started to charge money for their service. I believe the lowest subsription is $2.95 a month for 15 listings and 500 mb storage. So it makes sense to list through them if your average monthly sales is $150 or more.

Karen. I'm a bit late on this discussion. Some sellers include a note in their package that explains eBay's DSR policy. I should be doing the same.  I understand if you don't want to list through eBay anymore. I would list other places. But eBay has more visibility and buyers. Good luck and I'm sorry this happened to you!

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Thank you :hug: , everyone for the concern about my ebay sales and the whole convoluted story! I should have continued with a follow-up but I wanted to drop the subject and not bore TTer's with the whole saga. Here's the outcome-
eBay update:
I worked out a deal with eBay. It took a LOT of work and I had to talk with many people. Finally eBay understood what I was saying and reinstated me, December 2008. At first I felt validated but chose not to list for several months. Then I began to get emails from eBay customers asking what had happened to me? Many collectors whom bought my pieces on eBay do not shop anywhere else. THey don't attend shows and they don't subscibe to the magazines and anything I suggested was not what they wanted to hear. I did  relent and started listing, about once a month at first. Now eBay is an important part of my sales. I list about once every two weeks but I have LEARNED! I can't rely on eBay, I'm entering shows, selling on my website, advertising in Teddy Bear magazines. I still believe we have to support those who support us  bear_thumb
Karen
KJ Lyons Design

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

This is ludicrous!  I haven't been listing on eBay much and didn't know this was their policy.  They sure have ruined a good thing.  I'm sorry Karen, you must be very frustrated!

Hugs,

Alison

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

It sounds like Ebay has really lost the plot!  I am tempted to agree with those who think that Ebay just doesn't want the business of small-time artists.. a bit like the banks, really!  Ebay seems to be going in a whole 'nuther direction from when it started and maybe it really is time to wean ourselves off of it...

Karen - do you do web updates for the collectors on your mailing list?  I find this is a very good way to sell (and also makes for that special, personal invitational touch which I think people appreciate).  I like it because I can control the whole experience, from the way the page looks to how I choose to describe a bear, without worrying that the Ebay police will pull my auction for some obscure 'policy violation'. 

It may also be worth looking at sites such as Etsy.  Probably not for selling your lovely cats as I don't think the community has evolved to the extent that it understands high end artist plush, but, if you have other, cat related items of lesser value, you could use Etsy as a shop window from which you could guide people to your website.

I really hope you manage to find a solution!!
Hugs,
Christine

Mandicrafts Mandicrafts
Oakville
Website

Hello
I am an eBay seller and the DSR ratings are unfair and eBay doesn't plan on revising them any time soon.  Sellers ratings are calculated to TWO decimal points however, buyers can only leave round numbers - ex: 4 or 5

What many of us have done, is note this in our listings.  This is what I have in EVERY listing:
"Please remember I am in CANADA and I do not set Canada Post rates which can be high.  When leaving seller feedback though a 4 out of 5 rating may seem good (says "satisfied") eBay considers ANY seller star rating below 5 as under par and punishes the seller with extra charges!  Please email concerns to be resolved before leaving under par feedback!!"

The shipping charge DSR is always the hardest hit.  I always refund if I am able to save on postage and never "make money" on shipping.  Other than a small $2 S&H fee which I note up front and doesn't really cover all the tape, boxes, peanuts, bubblewrap, gas to go to the post office, printer ink etc etc., at least most don't seem to mind this small fee once it is explained (if they ask).

In addition, when I send an invoice I ask for 5 stars and use a similar statement to the one above, and ask for an email prior to a buyer leaving underpar feedback to resolve any issues.

I put a note on my packing slip inside each parcel I ship, also talking about the 5 stars and what the implications are to a seller.

As most of you have indicated, buyers don't understand how important giving 5 stars is to a seller and 4 out of 5 does seem good to the average person!  Explaining the realities has increased my ratings so that I can continue selling!

I use the SALE tab on items in my store frequently, and usually have at least one category "on sale" at any given time.  I combine shipping for buyers to help them save on the shipping postage.

eBAy is certainly geared toward the buyer rather than the seller though they would have NO SALES without sellers!

enchantmentsart Feather Heart Creations
TX

This is just one of the many reasons I've stopped selling on E-bay.  I'm guessing you have but I'll say just in case, have you thought about selling on Etsy or another site?  I've had so many issues with e-bay in the past, issues with fees, return policies, shipping terms and on and on.  I can't believe they now  don't protect their sellers! with out the sellers where would e-bay be?  I've been pretty happy with Etsy no complaints so fare but I still get more sales off my website. The new rating system is completely stupid in my opinion & I doing get how it helps sellers or even buyers.

Board footer