Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Hi everyone !
I am making a little critter right now that might look cute with some unruly whiskers.  Do any of you have any tips on the best type of material to use?  I have used button/craft thread previously but it does not retain any "crinkle" or "bent" effect.   ( does this make sense ? )

I don't want the whiskers to stick straight out, nor do I want them to droop downward.... bear_wacko

Any ideas?    THANK you THANK you....any help will be greatly appreciated

Regards,
Lee Ann

bearyfun732 Cutiepie Bears

just use strong black or white string. i tried that once, and it worked real well.

LisaAP Arcas designs
Website

I use horse hair with my ceramic hair straighteners. It can be a bit fiddly but with a bit of perseverance you can get the whiskers to curl as much or as little as you like depending on how you pull the hair through the straighteners.  bear_original

Regards

Lisa

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I use 100% cotton quilting thread...says 200m on the spool.........I use this on my Woodland Wabbits  bear_thumb

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

how about the beading filament? Similar to fishing line. Can get black. you can get it to curl and bend using your finger nail

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Can also try dental floss or thread pulled through beeswax
Hugs
Gail

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I was going to say fishing line as well (great minds think alike Carolynn).  We have used it on rabbits and it was pretty unruly but added to the character of the piece worked great on cats and lions as well.

big hugs

Shane

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

I have used horse hair. It curls just like curling ribbon if you pull it(carefully) along the edge of scissors.

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

Gosh Shane :redface:  nice to be lumped in with a mind like yours   :dance:   I have huge respect for fishing line. Had to make an outfit for a designers graduation once, she bought ciffon and wanted the hem to make zig zags. Fed line into the hem and ironed it. It worked well. Used it on wings too, ok then i also used nail varnish on wings :crackup:  :crackup:

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

I used white artificial sinew last time I needed whiskers. This allowed me to actually sew the whiskers exactly where I wanted them. The sinew can be curled or crinkled to provide for that unruly look.

Hugs,

mjbears mjbears
northants

fishing line or jewlery  clear thread that can be coloured with pernament ink. also i have used pearle cotton strand with a little hairspray upon is also a great idea good luck

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Wow !  Thank you everyone for these GREAT suggestions. bear_thumb
He'll be done soon....will post his photo....

Thanks again
Regards,
Lee Ann

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Ooh, ceramic hair straighteners - sounds like a great idea!  Horse hair really seems to have a mind of its own.  bear_grin

Hugs,

Ellen

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Have you thought of wetting cotton yarn or thread and using a criping iron for hair to set it? I don't know but it may be fun to try.

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

These are all such great suggestions.  I ended up using cotton quilting thread pinched really hard between my fingertips .  I should have mentioned these whiskers were only about 1/2" on each side of the nose.  Rudy, my lion cub, is pictured in the gallery.  You can see, the whiskers turned out okay, but one is sticking straight up.    bear_ermm   I was just glad to get him finished  bear_laugh

Thanks for all the great ideas....
Take care all ~
Lee Ann

Board footer