Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Andrea Artemis bears
Devon

Hi everyone  i wonder if you can help me. I love using sparse and matted mohairs for older scruffy looking bears and the pile direction is often quite difficult to determine and seems to vary across the piece. Is this likely due to the storage of the mohair before i get it i tend to buy from ebay a lot. I often find the pile seems to run diagonally across the piece? This then makes it really difficult to get the head gusset straight and i end up with a side swept look on the nose. i always though that the pile would run staright up and down or across the width. Hope someone can give me some advice

Andrea x

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

If it runs diagonally then you could cut it diagonally..though to be honest it might mean you end up cutting it on the bias which means it will stretch....so why not try dampening it and blowdrying into place..I do that all the time.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I agree with Jenny. Dampening is probably your best bet.

I don't think it has anything to do with how the fabric is stored. Some pieces just have a lot of direction changes. What I do in that case is to dampen the pile and use my fingers to direct it. Then I let it dry and brush the pile afterward.

Becky

Andrea Artemis bears
Devon

Thanks for the advice i will definitely try that way, i was beginning to think i was going mad not being able to tell a pile direction!

Andrea

Board footer