Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

LionLamb_01-1.JPGLION_01.jpgLION_02.jpgLION_beforeAB-1.JPGHello everyone, I wanted to share with you a few photos of what a naked animal looks like from my studio and what he looks like after he has his colors.  Before and after airbrushing.

He does not have a name at the moment but he is a male lion made from short German mohair, with longer moahir main;   and needle felted fingers, toes, paw details including dew claws, and upper and lower eyelids area.   His friend is a lamb , also made from German mohair with needle felted face, inner ears, and hooves.  Her legs are jointed and have armature in each for full poseability.     

I used Golden Brand liquid acrylic paints watered down.  You cannot feel that he has been painted at all.

Any ideas for a name for him.  I am stumpted.  I wanted to call him Simba but I think Disney owns that name.  hhhhmmmmmmmmm

This was a fun pair to make.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

OH MY GOODNESS JUDI!  What a difference!  He is lovely by the way! WOW! I need to learn to do airbrushing!

Pipa UK

OH MY GOODNESS JUDI ! you are just spectacular !! your animals are AMAZING SUPERB and TRULY TRULY The most adorable things on the planet!

Roxanne Bear Paws by Roxanne
Odessa, Tx

WOW! Totally awesome  :clap:
How about the name KITO: Swahili name meaning "precious."

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

It just blows me away how you get the colours just so. I think your layering approach adds to the realism.
Forgot to say how about Theo?

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

How about Leo the Lion?

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

There just aren't words, Judi; an absolutely spectacular pair.  I love your lion -- the colors and shading are wonderful -- but I'm always in awe of your needle felting skills on a mohair base.  The lamb is just too cute for words.

Superb!

Meri Bears (UK) West Sussex, England

Truly amazing :clap: :clap:

I'd be so scared of ruining what would have already taken me a very long time to get the lion finished to the first stage. It really is astounding what a difference airbrushing makes.

Thank you so much for sharing these pictures, I find them really fascinating - boy, I wish I had an ounce of your talent!!!! :)

Kate
x

www.meribears.fotopic.net

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_flower I can't think of any words either!!  bear_flower

Thanks for the before and after, Judi. The pix really make your point!

I named a foster kitten Simba, and remain unsued. What about Aslan, the name of CS Lewis' wonderful wise lion?

Eileen

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Boy Judi...they are so very cute. Lovely work , shows exactly how the layering effect works besides practice, practice, practice and you too can do it..maybe, hee, hee.  That lambs smile is just precious .... Names, hmmmm...how about just a bibical verse quote ? or the quote along with the names .... Winney

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Your comments really mean the world to me. bear_wub bear_wub bear_wub bear_wub

Thank you too, for the name ideas.

I am thinking of calling the pair, "Let there be peace on earth"...but I also would like individual names.

I also have a photo in the bear showcase of this lamb with another bear...a farmer bear with needle felted face etc.....  not sure which to have the lamb with...

Thank you for the name suggestions. bear_original bear_original bear_original bear_wub

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Wow, I don't have any good lion names, but I think your right about Simba.
That lion is sooo beautiful! Thanks for showing us the process, looks much better all painted up.

But I really want to tell you how much I love that lamb.  What a face on that one!!!!!

Thanks for the inspriation,

Heather

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

coming from a person who cant even hold a paintbrush let alone airbrushing supplies WOW  - I really am in awe
love the lambie too!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Well, I'm speechless . . . your work is breathtaking!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Thank you Thank you Thank you ...., but I have to admit that the first picture makes me cringe..he is so ugly.  Sometimes I don't know what I am doing... I sit down at my airbrush and hold my breath......and see what happens......

next...a leopard

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Judi there are no words...you are simply the best!! I adore that lion,he is awesome but I'm totally captivated by the sheeps face.  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

WOW!!!! Judy, he looks FAB! I collect lions among other things, and boy would he look great in my collection. But funds are short right now.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRReat Job!

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Like everyone else Judi I am lost for words ..... your work is truely awe inspiring ...

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

FABULOUS!!! Hmmm...nup..that word won't do either...

Judi, thanks so much for the before and after pics...wow what a transformation! Do you cover the nose up when you are airbrushing?

I'm with Roxanne..I love the name Kitp and it suits him really well.

And..I vote for the lion and the lambie as a set..it's really striking! :clap:

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Judi , this is yet another stunning creation from your hands !  I'll never master my airbrush to create masterpieces like yours.  It's truly beautiful !!!!  I wish I could actually feel the finished product.   bear_thumb :clap: :clap:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Thank you all, again.  I am smiling ear to ear right now. bear_grin bear_grin

Hayley, I don't do any masking on these.  Just freehand and I work close to the surface. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Judi, you need to make another lamb! I think the farmer and the lion both need one !

Eileen

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

All I have to say is WOW!!!!

kraftyladies Beary Lovely ... Bears by Susan
Florida

WOW, I just wish I had the talent you have in your pinky finger!!!  awesome, but I can't think of a name, I like KITO too, though.   :clap:  :clap:

Susan

Dilu Posts: 8,574

What a good idea Judi

posting the before and after. 

Very impressive.

You are coming up with so many new wonderful critters, I am astounded, my friend, where do you get your energy!

Ahhhh  such talant on this board.

Thank you for sharing

Dilu

Board footer