Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Sapphire-Light Posts: 41

Hi all  bear_wub

I have some problems with a faux frabric, you see is my first time working on a feathered fabric, this one has a 2" pile and the hair is very fine and thin, the hair is very flat and only goes in one direction (down)

But I don't know how I can cut the pieces whitout cutting too mush of the hair and leaving a mess of hair over the house.  bear_cry

Of the other fabrics I brush it on the oposite direction, it helps a bit, but I stilll leave bald areas on the pieces.

teeeej Brisbane

Make sure when you are cutting the piece of fabric that you cut the backing only. To do this lay the fabric fur side down. Then slide your scissors as close to the backing as possible in between the fur. Make sure you cut the backing and don't cut into the fur. This way should minimise the amount of fur that goes flying.

-----
Therese

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Another thing is to use very sharp scissors with small blades.  Slide the point of the scissors only between the backing and fur and take little cuts.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

No matter what you do you are going to end up with some fur flying.  When cutting faux fur, as soon as I cut, before I even really separate the fabric, I brush the fabric along the cut lines.  Use a dog slicker brush.  It will prevent the fur from flying.
Joanne

sonblestbears Son Blest Bears
Geetingsville, Indiana
Website

Hi!  I would like to add that for synthetics, especially the thicker ones or ones that have the suede backing, I use a razor blade.  It is so much easier on my arthritic hands than scissors.  I don't have to worry about cutting the fur either and it's really faster than using scissors too.  Just make sure you have a new sharp blade and of course...be careful  bear_happy  You will still have some fur that will come off around the edges but I really don't think there is any way around that no matter what you use to cut your pieces out  bear_original  So far with the razor blade I have never had 'chunks' of fur missing like you do if you use scissors and accidentally cut the fur.

Sapphire-Light Posts: 41

Thank you everyone so mush for the tips  bear_thumb they are helpfull.

Bear Hearts Bear Hearts
Las Vegas, Nevada

I agree.. take small little clips... works like a charm!  I think its fun to see the fur flying all over the place! Maybe I'm a little wacky  bear_original    bear_wacko
:dance:

~Robert

Geralye Belper, Derbyshire

If it's very fine, you might need to protect yourself.

I used one once where I coughed so much I had to wear a decorators face mask from the DIY shop so that I didn't breath in the fibres.  The faux fur looked great and felt wonderfully soft when made up, but was also a health hazard!

cheers,
G

Board footer