Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I've read a couple of posts from John Port that indicate his mom is with him these days.  Most of you probably have heard of Beverly Port.  In my opinion, she practically started the whole artist bear movement herself . . . a true pioneer in the industry we have all come to know and love.  Correct me, John, if I don't remember the details accurately, but Beverly was making dolls back in the 1970s and wanted a little accessory to put with them.  A teddy bear seemed to be just the right one, so she created them to go with her dolls.  The bears turned out to be as popular (or more so) as the dolls, and the rest is history.  The whole Port family became involved with artist teddies - John's dad sold them at his pharmacy and both John and his sister, Kimberlee, became bear artists themselves.  Beverly's imagination, talent, and hard work certainly were huge factors in jump-starting the popularity of individually designed, handmade teddy bears.  John, if your mom is close by, please tell her how much I've admired her spirit and her work for many years.  Hugs to you both.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

katiecountrymouse1 KatieCountryBears
Bolton-le-sands, Carnforth
Website

Hi Sue Ann,

For my ignorance I'd never heard of Beverly Port...but thank you to yourself for bringing this to my attention.
So its big hugs to a wonderful lady for giving us what we have today. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Love kayx. bear_wub  bear_wub

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I'd like to add my hugs and appreciation for Beverly too!  Thank you for your determination!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Sue Ann,

What a great idea to post this message about Beverly Port  bear_thumb .

I will admit though that I hadn't heard about her until July of this year, when her son John Paul, posted the following reply on a question about the origins of the term "hug of teddies".  I answered that I thought the term was first used by the famous teddy bear promotor Peter Bull and John Paul wrote :

"In 1978 my Mom received a gift from Peter Bull----it was a revised copy of his first (1969) book, "Bear With Me."   Since it had a lot of new material and pictures, it was re-copyrighted and  renamed  "Peter Bull's Book of Teddy Bears."  The dust jacket of the book shows Peter Bull with                                                            himself as a Teddy Bear, holding a tiny bear. Also enclosed,  an invitation to visit him and  to attend the first "Great Teddy Bear Rally" to be held at Longleat, England on May 27th 1979, at the home of the Marquis of Bath. In their conversations about Teddy Bears, it was generally agreed that a "Hug Of Teddy Bears" was "as many as you could get your arms around"---"or in a big room"----"or in an apartment"---"or in a house"----or, or, or, or, or......................................"

So she must definitively be one of the pioneers of "arctophilia".  If John Paul is reading this, I would love to hear some more stories about your mother and the Marquis of Bath (another famous teddy lover) and the early days of bear loving collectors.

A very special hug and congratulations to Beverly for supporting the teddy bear cause !! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Hugs,  :hug:

Peterbear

puca bears puca bears

Another ignoramus here :redface:  - how lovely to read about Beverly, and to realise just how much we owe to her.
Big huggies to her, and lots of thanks!
Maria :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

I did meet Beverly Port in San Diego, Linda Mullin's Show. Back then we all knew her and acknowledged her as a pioneer in the art of the teddy bear. What I remember most about that meeting was her wonderful smile! And of course her experience and wisdom.
Karen

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I too would like to add my appreciation and thanks to Beverly Port for her contributions to the teddy bear world - we wouldn't be where we are today if it hadn't been for her! Many thanks and bear hugs, Beverly! :hug:  :hug:  bear_wub

Angela Angela's Bear Garden
St. Catharines, Ontario

I will add my thanks and appreciation to Beverly as well. Her work in the teddy bear industry over the years has been truly inspirational! Thankyou to a modern day pioneer! :hug:

John Paul Port Posts: 214

A big Thank You to Sue Ann----and everyone who has posted !!!    Yes, my Mom actually began the "Art of The Teddy Bear" in the 1950s to 1960s----alone in calling them "art" at that time.  She was given a book about Peter Bull,  for Christmas 1969,  with the comment:  "Here is someone like you, who is 'CRAZY' about  teddy bears!"    She started writing about them in the 1970s,  for National and International  magazines, Convention books and Slide programs.  When interviewed, she termed herself a "Teddy Bear Artist"---after all she was an artist.   A multi-media artist:  drawing, painting, sculpting, fashion and fabric design, etc., since college----and an International "doll artist."          :hug:  :hug:  :hug:       from Mom-----and me !!!        JOHN

I WILL BE AT THE TEDDY, BEAR AND TOY SALE----AT MY SALES BOOTH----AT THE SAN      FRANCISCO MARRIOTT ON SUNDAY, SEPT, 26----TO ANSWER THOSE WHO HAVE PHONED AND EMAILED ME----I CAN  "TALK TEDDY BEARS,"  AND ABOUT MY MOM, ( BEVERLY PORT ).   I AM GIVING A MAIN PROGRAM  ABOUT BOTH  DURING THE CONVENTION,  AND HAVE AN ARTICLE   IN THE CONVENTION BOOK.   THIS IS A UNITED FEDERATION OF DOLL CLUBS EVENT----THEY HAVE HUNDREDS OF    CLUBS, INTERNATIONALLY----AND THOUSANDS OF MEMBERS !!!!  THIS IS ONE      OF THE PLACES SHE GAVE A PROGRAM IN 1976, AND ALSO HAD AN ARTICLE IN THE CONVENTION BOOK, TOO----33 YEARS AGO !!!!   SHE WAS ALSO  "GUEST EDITOR"  FOR THEIR INTERNATIONAL "DOLL NEWS MAGAZINE" IN 1976---"TEDDY BEARS" WAS THE THEME.  AND THEODORE B. BEAR,  PETER BULL'S FRIEND,  WAS ONE OF THE WRITERS FOR IT.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'd love to hear your talk next Sunday, but San Francisco might as well be on the other side of the planet.  I know all will go well for you at the convention.  Your mom has been involved in so many interesting activities over the years, and I'm really pleased that you are continuing to inform doll and bear aficionados about her important contributions to the industries.

Mom thanks you !!  and I thank you,  too !!    To Peterbear,  who asked about The Marquis of Bath----yes, The Marquis collected bears and his favorite teddy bear, "Clarence",  was shown in a picture during the Great Teddy Bear Rally in England, in 1981.

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Hi John!!  Hi Beverly!!
John, it was so good to catch up with you in Portland.  I have a picture.....just need to post it....  Thank you again for your kind gift to our little Macey.   bear_wub

Beverly,
Schuco bear has gathered some friends along the way.  He's still my favorite.....and has such a lovely story to tell.  You are forever in our hearts!  bear_wub

Warmest bear hugs, :hug:
Aleta

Theodore B. Bear Posts: 114

bear_flower  bear_flower               "BEVERLY PORT BEARS"      WERE THE FIRST-EVER ARTIST BEARS-------AND

IN  AUTHOR'S BOOKS ABOUT THE HISTORY OF THE ARTIST BEAR.   bear_flower  bear_flower

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Huge thank you to you, Beverly! I remember well your writings in the magazines and your lovely bears pictured with those of your children. Such an inspiring legacy! :hug:  :hug:

bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower                THANK YOU VERY MUCH, BRENDA !!!               bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

YOU MAKE ADORABLE BEARS  bear_flower

lombardbears Lombard Bears Australia
ALBANY
Website

A Big Thankyou to you both!!! What a wonderful difference your mum has made to this world of ours...not many people can say they have helped to put the arts and artists out into peoples homes and bring all that warmth into our lives.......a special person indeed is your MUM!!! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :hug:

bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower             THANK YOU, LINDA-----WE HOPE TO BE DOING MORE THINGS TO KEEP

TEDDY BEARS ON THE WORLD MAP !!!      ALOT OF WORK,   AND FUN , TOO !!!       bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:         A HUGE THANK YOU TO DEBORA-----FROM  ALL OF US AT "THE BEARKIN

HOUSE"-----"THE TIME MACHINE TEDDYS"  AND,   "THE REMEMBEARS"  !!!   (COPYRIGHT 1950-2010)

Board footer