Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

AussieFelts AussieFelts
South Australia

Sorry if this is a silly question.

I thread joint most of my needle felted critters.  I'm wondering if anyone has tried or has been successful with any other form of jointing a completely needle felted piece?  I have NO IDEA how cotter pin joints even work but do you think they would be possible to use?  I don't want to use a wire armature to give me movement in limbs.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hmmm... I'm sure it's NOT a silly question. It's an interesting thought. Maybe if you tightened your joint on the limb side rather than the body side...

There's surely someone out there who knows for sure, but just brainstorming here... What if you needle-felted a disk with a bolt or cotter pin sticking out of it into the body (so that the felting covered the disk but left the bolt or pin sticking out). Then you'd have to needle-felt the limb in a sort of flat way, slip the flat felted "fabric" and then the disk over the bolt or pin, tighten the joint, then finish by needle-felting the limb "closed" around the joint.

Can't wait to hear from the experts!

Becky

artbyrjandreae artbyrjandreae
Johannesburg, California

That sounds like it would work. Becky!  I usually thread joint mine, too, if they're jointed. I've also ran a wire in through the limbs and one going from  one side of the body to the other. I then took my jewlers pliers and made an eyelet and passed the wire sticking out of the limb through that and curled it with my pliers until it was tight. Here's the finished  piece that I did that with.
toadpic2.JPG

AussieFelts AussieFelts
South Australia

Very good ideas Becky and Robin!  I think I could probably have a go at both and see what happens.  Thanks so much for your input!  bear_original

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
Fabulous Frog, Robin!
Such a savoir faire/cavalier attititude!
And the 'tude says it all!

hggzzz
Bobbie

artbyrjandreae artbyrjandreae
Johannesburg, California

Thanks, Bobbie ;-)!

Board footer