Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

baildon bears Baildon bears
west yorkshire

[img]I really want to add more depth to my bears faces, I make 4 inch bears so faces are quite small. I usually use fabric pens but I am finding them to harsh and also if I make a mistake it completely ruins the bear, is there something I can use to build up gradual colour. Hannah

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hannah, we have a very extensive Library (just above your post on the left side) that has a topic on 'Airbrushing/
Painting/Shading'.  Actually it's the first topic on the list.  You will find lots of information there.

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

pencils are good for shading small bears..it can take a while to get good colour..but it works well and is soft on the fur..good luck!!
Kerrilyn

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hello Hannah   bear_original

Try some Prisma Coloured Pencils - I use them all the time, even on my big bears.

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

Hi Hannah

Coloured pencils are a really good choice.  I started using those for my needle felted bears and they work great.  If you want a grey or a blackish shade use a regular HB or B pencils.  Another option is to go to an art supply store and pick up copic markers, you can get blenders with these which will thin out the colour.  Test it on a scrape piece of fabric.   Thin makers that you can pick up at a dollar store can work well too, they usually aren't very good quality so the colour isn't intense, and if you have a really light touch they can work well.

Hope this helps

Amber

sandra p skye rose bears
kent
Website

hi hannah,after trying absolutely everything i'm now happiest using prismacolour pencils,and i have some letraset pro markers that are pretty good,you can build colour gradually with both
:hug: sandra

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Hello Hannah
I have used dry eye shadow with good results. After reading the tips and techniques here, I also tried oil paints.  As it was said earlier, there is alot of great information on the site.

Good luck  bear_original

Lee Ann

sushi The Wild Things
Oer-Erkenschwick

I dip the color pencil into water before use, that helps to add the color at the fur. Or I use arylic paint. Take a small flat brush (not a round one) and dip it on a tissue before use. For very soft color I use pastels. Take a little powder from the pastels with you brush and bring it to the fur. The color is very soft at the fur and perhaps you have to do it 2 or 3 times. Susan

Board footer