Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

NancyL123 Nancy's Menagerie
New York

version2.jpgThis is a first draft of a pattern. I can't decide if the proportions are correct. I figured there are lots of experienced artists here that maybe can give thei opinion on what I should change.

hugs,
Nan

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Make it up and see what you get!  bear_grin  That's the best advice I could give. There are no 'right' proportions in my book -  for example I like big tums, narrow chest and huge feet. To me, the head looks like it may turn out a bit small for the rest of the bear - I love the arm shape though. turned down paws rule!

The other thing my experiments taught me was that finished bear parts look narrower than the pattern, so you may find your bear goes a bit thin at the ankles (I did)

Get some cheap, non stretchy material and give it a go. I think most people use muslin for mock ups.

funnyfelter Posts: 4

Hi, I'm new and would really love to know how to go about making my own patterns.  I don't have a problem with drawing but I have no idea where to begin drawing a pattern?

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

I got some cheap fake fur to mock up my first bear, which worked well.  Like Julia I think the head looks a little small, but you'll only find out when he's there in the fur in front of you  bear_original   I'm sure I read an article or piece in a book at some point suggesting proportions in anatomy, but unfortunately I can't find it at the moment, if I do, I'll post it up.

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

bear_grin  I'm not an experienced artist but I love your pattern.  I do think the head may turn out a little small.  Do you have a gusset for it?  Of course I have seen a lot of baby bears with shorter snouts that look great.  I am right now trying to shorten up a snout for a curly haired baby bear.
I do love the arm and would love to have a copy of it to look at when designing my bears.  Would you mind sending me a pic of the arm?  I promise not to use your arm, just look at it.

New York

Ok, I'll make the head a little bigger then! The good thing about using a computer to design is it's easy to make changes :)

Gail...I'm taking a design class at ebearz university.

Leonora...yes, I've made the gusset, it's a wide one because I wanted her to look on the young side if possible. You can right click on the jpg and save it if you want. The arm was just a combination of circles and ovals. I had been planning on doing a straight arm with wire for bending, and have about 10 different arms, but I liked this arm alot, so I'm going with it, I think.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow
funnyfelter wrote:

Hi, I'm new and would really love to know how to go about making my own patterns.  I don't have a problem with drawing but I have no idea where to begin drawing a pattern?

There's quite a lot of free patterns around online that would give you an idea of what sections look like, then it's a case of adapting to fit what you would like - try mixing and matching a range of patterns to make up the bits you like, if that's easier.  I find one of the curve rulers invaluable in ensuring that my paw pads will fit my feet, and my head gussets will fit my heads.  Other than that, as above, get some cheap fake fur and experiment  bear_original

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Folks looking for pattern tips?  Our library is full of information about patterns and many other subjects.  It's located just above Nancy's post, on the left side.  Click on whichever category you are interested in and have fun.

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

bear_grin  Thank you so much Nancy...I have a bear with straight arms and I was just thinking last night that I would like them bent with the paws turning back.  I am going to try it out...

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Hey Nan, I'd be interested in knowing what program you used to draw out your pattern. 

I think everything looks good as well, but I agree the head will likely need to be made bigger.

hugs

Shane

New York

Shane, I'm using a combination, Adobe Illustrator and Wishblade "Create n Cut". With some experimentation, I realized that the software that was made for scrapbooking is perfect for patterns too! It has an outline feature, that lets you put in your desired seam allowance size, and it automatically draws the seam allowance around the pattern shape. Also, if you have the Wishblade or the Quickutz Silhouette, you can have the machine cut the pattern pieces out for you, exactly on the lines you choose. Also, it imports eps or ai files, so you can draw your designs in other drawing programs and import it into the Wishblade software. It stays vector, so you can resize and layout the pieces easily.

I'm new to bearmaking, but I'm a fanatic about graphic software, so I try to learn them all :)

hugs,
Nan

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Ooh, Nancy - that looks like wonderful software!  Thank you for sharing.  bear_original  Along with the machine, it looks like a big time saver, too. 

I agree that the head could be a little larger, but the best way to tell for sure if it's what you want is to make up a sample.  You can use muslin and factor in the added width of the fur or you can use cheap fur fabric to get a closer rendition of the finished bear in your desired fabric. 

hugs,

Ellen

Board footer