Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Kristina Kristina Bears
Edmonton
Website

I've noticed that I have two different kinds of cotter pins. One batch seems to turn very easily and the other I really have to fight with.

I of course do not remember where I bought what!!  LOL

Does anyone know where I can purchase the softer cotter pins?? I have very weak hands and I have a lot of trouble turning them.

I sure hope this made sense...... bear_rolleyes

Hugs
Kristina

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hi Christina,

Edinburgh imports has different "weights" of cotter pins: http://www.edinburghimports.com/shoppin … 92364=S034

(I had some from the hardware store that were only suitable for use by gorillas, I think.)

Becky

Kristina Kristina Bears
Edmonton
Website

:crackup: That's exactly it!! Becky

I didn't realize you can get different weights. I will have a look now..Thanks a bunch!!!

Hugs
Kristina

Us Bears Pennsylvania

What kind of tool do you use to bend them with?

My real job is a cinema technician.  I operate and repair movie projectors in theaters.  There are several parts in movie projectors that are held together with cotter pins.  Typically, I use a pair of lineman's pliers to start the bend and a large pair of needle-nose pliers to make them snug.

It will be more difficult to bend cotter pins which are made from harder steel but softer pins are more likely to pull out or break.  For use in machines, hard steel pins are often desired because they hold parts together better and they are less likely to fail.  For Teddy Bears, I don't see why you would need harder pins but, in terms of fit and function, I don't think there would be a difference except for the difficulty in bending them.  As long as they are the size you need, use them interchangeably as you see fit.

Board footer