Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

rosebearcottage Rose Bear Cottage
Lake Gregory, California

I'm torn! bear_wacko In the past I attended shows where it was best to have the option of a credit card payment, I originally started my dolls/teddy bear sharing on eBay and was one of the first ebayers to offering PayPal. I had my concerns at first with Paypal due to it being a new payment process, but do I like it now. :dance: Due to circumstances, I have not been able to share my creations at shows over the past few years. I have the desire but did not have the time to get to shows. Long story short, I have long ago met my obligation of the contract for credit card service, yet am paying  monthly fees until I send the equipment back or get back to sharing at shows. The question is would you continue to hang on to the equipment or are other options available? bear_ermm

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Hi Debbie,
I owned a pet shop for many years and of course paid for my equipment because it was well worth it to offer to my customers the ease of paying with plastic.  This was in the 80's but even back then everyone wanted it and of course I continued until I sold the shop in the 90's.
But as a Teddy Bear collector when I go to shows I want to only carry a plastic credit card to make my purchases. Sometimes I will carry a little cash but when it runs out if the artist isn't taking credit cards I don't buy. I spend when going to a weekend show thousands and I'm not going to carry that much in cash. Nor am I going to carry a check book. Besides when buying a bear for hundreds of dollars and some even a few thousand (when the economy was good) most artist were more comfortable in taking a credit card especailly if they didn't know me. If you were going to get back in to shows or open a shop I would say it's worth it to have but if not what would you now be using it for if I might ask? Your website?
My advise would be to get back into shows!!!:) But I'm being selfish when I say that.  bear_grin

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Most of my show sales are made by credit card these days.

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I just participated in a Webinar from my credit card accepting company. After hearing all the information, I am thinking of dropping CC acceptance. There is a lot to worry about with CC thefts. I have been accepting CC for about 5 years, but with the expense, I am not sure it is worth it, since I seem to only process about 10 CC a year. My website accepts PayPal and that works for me. For live shows, it might be (for me anyway) cash or checks.

If you want to know more about the info. I am talking about, PM or email me.

Ellen

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

As a show promoter and artist doing 5+ shows a year I can tell you that the majority of purchases are made using a credit card. Transactions paid by check have a higher rate of default than credit card transactions. Lots of bouncy checks out there it seems and it's not always possible to get it resolved with the collector. I've had one problem with a credit card in the last 3 years that I accepted at a show but didn't process until I got home. I don't have all the 'equipment'... I have a phone in account and one of those slide imprint thingys from the old days. I can call in for an authorization while the customer waits which I do on purchases over $300 or I can call in all my credit card purchases from a show once the show is over. I did a lot of research to find a credit card processing co. with the best rates.

Paypal offers merchant services where you can accept credit cards at shows then process them online. Their fees for this service are competitive and believe (not 100% sure) that you can just open this type of account when you have a show coming up so you don't have to pay monthly fees even when not using the service.

There are a lot of options out there now for accepting credit cards.... check 'em out!

I'm all for not having to schlepp anything more to a show than necessary or for incurring any more fees than necessary but I'm also all for accepting credit cards because they are the primary payment method at shows and no more risky than accepting personal checks!

I'm a collector too and have to agree with Cindee.... I don't like to carry cash - especially large amounts needed to buy artist bears. Just plastic! bear_original

Lake Gregory, California

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I do plan on geting back to shows and revamp my website. I too like to use my cc to purchase since I don't like to carry cash. Ellen, I will also look into your advise.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

In the UK there are very few places that accept cheques any more due to fraud, chip and pin, ie paying by plastic, or cash are pretty much the only way to go.  I have to say I always hated cheques because you never knew when someone would cash it.  I work in the IT department of a bank, and I have to say you'd be amazed at all the tracking of cards etc that goes on to try and reduce fraudulent activity.

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

I don't do many shows anymore but when I did my credit card service had the option of "turning it off" when you were not using it saving you the money in fees.  You might want to check it out with your credit card service or go through a company like Discover Card (I think that's who I had mine with -- it was two years ago) Merchant Services.

Lake Gregory, California

Thank you Lisa!

Lake Gregory, California

Thank you Katy! I was recently a victim of fraudulent activity on my bank account.  Fortunately I check my bank account activity often and caught them a few days in. It was still a pain getting the transactions reversed.  bear_cry I am very casual now.

Board footer