Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I've been trying to make droopy eyelids for the past several days...I CAN NOT DO IT.  I get one perfect and the other one is CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!

My poor bear thinks I hate her/him!!!!

bear_cry   bear_cry   bear_wacko   bear_wacko   bear_angry  bear_angry

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

:hug:   :hug:   :hug:  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  Sorry your having such a hard time. Wish I could help but I don't think I know how to do droppy eyelids, are they top or bottom? Here's a hug though. Oh and eat chocolate and do yoga, that should help  bear_flower   bear_smile   :hug:   :hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Awww Shantelli....haven't a clue, but am sending you great big gollyslobberkisses....and papertowels to clean up after the slobberkisses.....

hugsnstuff

di

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Do you WANT to discuss the techniques you are using and get advice or just have a tantrum????
I'm ALL for temper tantrums!!!! u055.gif  a020.gif
Feeling better yet????
a136.gif  e076.gif
How about now?
:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Willamette Valley Oregon

I just wanted to throw a tantrum...I'll get it.  I THINK my problem is that my left hand has decided to start trembling and I'm having a hard time holding everything...it's just frustrating.

I may need to work larger and move smaller once I have the technique itself down.

I'm over myself...I cleaned out my dresser...first by throwing everything on the floor...then cleaning it all up and tossing old stuff.

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Maybe he could be winking???????  :crackup:

One eye is always easier to get right than the other depending on whether you are right or left handed etc. Try turning him upside down when doing the diffcult eye Shantell.

Good Luck - chill out girlfriend  bear_wub

PenPen

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Sorry about your eye troubles, Shantell. A good old-fashioned fit always makes ya feel better though! bear_happy

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

A trick I use for balance is using the mirror.What you see in there is really amazing.When something looks balanced it will show up as so when you see the reflection . Try it with another bear.The slightest off ness ( not a real Word) will show up and you can change it .I am not sure if your are doing an upper lid but this may help you a little.

Jodi Falk

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Shantell: Don't foget to stomp around like King Kong for a while...Than put your chin to your chest, narrow your eyes, hands on your hips and go tackel that other eye girl........

Michelle

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

PEN - Your avatar bear seems to have a tickle in his nose! :crackup:  Too funny! Love it!

JODI - I HATE a mirror..... waaaaaaaaay to honest and revealing!!!  :doh: Seriously, a good tip though!

Willamette Valley Oregon

I haven't even gotten to the part of inserting the eyes into the head...I could however hold them both up to the mirror until they are straight.   :crackup:   :crackup:

I've given up for this bear...he/she is just toooooooooo wide awake for drooping lids.

I do use that mirror trick...and I curse every time I do.  bear_original

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

shantell wrote:

I haven't even gotten to the part of inserting the eyes into the head...I could however hold them both up to the mirror until they are straight.   :crackup:   :crackup:

I've given up for this bear...he/she is just toooooooooo wide awake for drooping lids.

I do use that mirror trick...and I curse every time I do.  :)

Oh my , do this : put a pin with a bigger head on it into where you would want the eyes then move them till they look good to you. Then slightly pull them out but not all the way and mark the hole with a magic marker. You will punch the hole there any way . You will love this easy method!!!  Some times I like to do the nose first because then you can balance the eyes to that . Then the ears. It will all line up then. bear_grin

Jodi Falk

Willamette Valley Oregon

Jodi...you're cracking me up!!   EYELIDS...I can insert the eyes all balanced and where they belong...it's the blessed droopy lids that gave me fits.  I've moved on...another bear will have to have EYELIDS!!!

:crackup:   :crackup:   :crackup:

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sorry girlie !! Ummmmmmmmmmmm well. I don't know what kind you are doing?? A cord kind? A thread kind, a glued on wool felt kind . Need more info .... But I know you will get it !!!

Geralye Belper, Derbyshire

I tried the single eyelid once (ultasuede) to get a wink.  The poor bear just looked lecherous!

cheers,
G

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

Do we have a tutorial on eyelids?  I don't have a clue how to do them but it sounds great...

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

lovenshire wrote:

Do we have a tutorial on eyelids?  I don't have a clue how to do them but it sounds great...

Yes, Lenora, in the library.  The category is "Eyes/Eyelids".

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Are you gluing the eyelids directly onto the eye or applying the eyelid after the eye is inserted.  I do applied eyelids on a regular basis and might be able to give you a couple of hints if that is the technique you are using.  I know you've moved on, but let us know what you are doing so we can help if you feel like going back to that bear.

Hugs,
Alison

Missouri
Website

Oh I like the temper tantrum myself...king kong sounds great...throwing things always appeals to me.  I may just throw this bear I am working on and her eyes and nose are complete.  Would you believe it is the ears that always give me problems.  I saw one book where they make a slit for them and then just sew them in with the machine!  Sounds great but I like them curved.  Then, I went and put the eyes in and tied them in the back where the knot would be hidden by the neck joint...if I could get the neck joint in now that the eye knot is there!  Oh boy, this bear is doomed.  She was supposed to be for my Mom for Valentines day!  I need a brain...do you suppose the wizard is still in OZ?

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

Hi!
Id just make a pirate and put a patch over one eye!! then u just have to do one!
Kerrilyn

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs
kezjoy wrote:

Hi!
Id just make a pirate and put a patch over one eye!! then u just have to do one!
Kerrilyn

Must be the way us Aussies think!  I have made many a bear with one eye and either put a patch on the other or aged the bear and given it a button or couple of stitches instead - I started doind this after a lot of my bear eyes went the way of the socks!!

Missouri
Website

Clever save I think!

Board footer