Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

ellen ontario, canada

will anyone share pictures of their ear pattern pieces?
i keep making the same old ears.  haaa!  no matter what i do they all turn out the same.  i'd like to do some big round cupped ears but i'm not sure what pattern shape to start with.  please don't tell me to start with a "big round supped" shape!
bear_laugh

ellen ontario, canada

"cupped" either.
:doh:

Pipa UK

well my ear pattern i guess is like a circle cut in half  bear_grin

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

ha ha ha very funny Ellen  bear_grin  bear_laugh  bear_grin  bear_laugh

My ears are usually - sorry, my BEARS ears are usually shaped at the bottom like a half moon so that they wrap around the head better and are slightly U shaped so they stick up away from the head.
I would draw a piccy but i can't be arsed and i have a crappy cold thingy so just be grateful girl that i can be bothered to get this far!

bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  :P

Ask me more if you want Ellen, i can just about hold me head up over the computer O the pain, the pain

Ain't i brave

Penny - dying  bear_wacko  bear_cry

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

DSCF4328.jpgEllen, tou mean ears like this? I was doing that bear patterns for a gift so I can share MY ears with if you like :whistle:

Julia

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Another way to make your ears look bigger and rounder is to enlarge ears. If I want bigger ears I just use my regular pattern and enlarge only ears, say 10-.....%.  I always get the result I want.

Huggs, Julia

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'll work on a pic but yes, like Poor Pen, the botton of the ear is sort of half moon shaped.

Also, if you cut the ear out with the nap pointing up the ear will LOOK bigger.

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Hi Ellen,

I usually do a half circle, but lengthen the 'straight' part at the top and bottom of the ear just a little... so it looks like a capitol D rather than just a half circle.  Also, like Daphne said, cut the ear so that the fur lays pointing outward, toward the tip of the ear.  If I want him or her to have big ears, I just draw out the size I think I want, then cut another 1/4 to 1/2 inch larger than that, and I always get the bigger ear I wanted (but that's because I'm a dork and when I draw out a pattern, I usually don't allow enough extra for the seam... call me new!!)  Then (and this is probably 'duh' info for you and everyone else, sowwy!) I make sure the ear has a good cup to it when I pin it on the head, and I make sure I follow that deeper cup when I start sewing. 

I hope this helps; if not then just tell me to go back to my corner!! lol

beary warm wishes,
Kimberly Whitlock
'Bear' Bottoms Originals
www.picturetrail.com/bearbottoms

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original The ears on my avatar bear are the second version.

Once I'd messed with and more or less mutilated the first version, I saw that what I needed was what everyone else is describing--an elongated 'D' with a half-moon base. This time I got big-enough ears with a good cup.

Once they've had time to recuperate, the first-version ears will come back to life some day as a mini!!  :whistle:

Eileen

ellen ontario, canada

aww poor Penny!!  have a few cups o'hot "stuff" - whatever "stuff" will make you feel better!  thank you for even reading my post let alone giving me advice! - i DO appreciate it!

Julia - WOWWWWW!!  what big ears you have!  thank you too!

Daphne - thanx for the tips - i knew there had to be some "trick" and now i realize the half moon bottom edge will do the trick!

Kimberly - thank you!  that's not "duh stuff" and you don't have to go back to your corner - you nutbar!!!

Eileen - thank you!  it's good to know i'm not the only one that has "stray ears".  welp, you know what i mean!

cheers!
bear_flower

Board footer