Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

Paula,
I was just reading over your blog and bear-assembing tutorial, and first of all I would like to say how generous you are to post such wonderful information and photos of your bear-making process!  Great information!!!  I saw a few things I'd never seen before and wanted to comment /ask you about them.  First of all, lining your paw pads with batting - that's something new to me.  What made you come up with that idea and how does it help you?  Does it smooth out those pointy points that I hate???   Second, your curled cotter pins are absolutely perfectly curled!  I think I need a heavier duty "cotter pin turner" because mine twists around if I put too much pressure on it.......  Last of all, I thought it was interesting that you measure your arm sockets after you have assembled your head and body.  I always mark my body pattern pieces before sewing.  I guess your way ensures that your arms will be positioned evenly.  Great tips!  Thanks, Paula!!!!

Jane D. Teddies to Treasure
Midland, Ontario

I must have missed something but how does one get to Paula's blog? I would love to see the tutorial.The hardest thing for me is still stuffing the head.I have had so many tips from all the great helpers here on TT.I've read so many articles in books and mags and I still can't get a lovely even head-always twisted to one side.My shoulder aches from repeatedly stuffing the head over and over.If I didn't have such a huge stash of mohair (hidden all over the house!!!) I think I would just give up. It's a beautiful day here in Ontario-spring at last! Anyone going to the TBOV August show?Sincerely Jane D.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Paula, haven't had time to browse blogs lately but Connie's right; yours is fantastic!  I love that you put that information out there on the web for other bearmakers and collectors, too, to see and appreciate and learn from.  Great job!

Jane, the link to Paula's ALL BEAR blog is this:  http://allbear.blogspot.com/

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Paula, I was looking at your blog the other day and your have really done a great job with it! Beautiful pictures and writing.

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

I didn't know she had a blog.  It's fun looking at how she makes the bear, esp. for someone with zero sewing skills!   :crackup:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm blown away by your creative writing skills, Paula!  I suspect you have a novel inside that talented head of yours.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Oops, I missed this post entirely and now here I am reading (and blushing) three years after it was written!  Huge apologies to Connie and the rest of you!!! :redface:

I'm delighted you found my blog and enjoyed the content.  Sue Ann ... oh how I would love to and wish I had the imagination to do so!  Connie, the batting tip ... I really can't remember, I think it may have been passed on to me many years ago by a lovely bear maker in the UK called Frank Webster - it certainly does the job!  As for the split pins, I use heavy duty pins and both a round nose and a flat nose pair of pliers to curl them.  My method of measuring out where to site my limbs after the head is attached to the bear works really well and I think it's much simpler than than relying on marking out the joints prior to making up the bear. bear_thumb

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

Hi Paula,
I just peeked at your blog!  How fun to see all the Mum's Day Photos.  I don't know how you find the time to have such an amazing blog, website and handle everything with the Guild of Master Bearcrafters!  You are a wonder woman!
Hugs,
Janice

RaggyRat The RaggyRat Company
Weymouth
Website

your blog is certainly a feast for the eyes and mind, paula !
cat xxxx

Board footer