Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

shiniker Little Leaf Bears by Shanna
Loveland

Hello everyone-
  I went to a local art store to buy more Prisma markers for shading, but the gentleman there who was helping me, informed me that Prisma would not be a good shading tool on bears as it is subject to shading and is not permanent to light.  He suggested instead that I use Acrylic ink and showed me where they were located.  I purchased one bottle of FW acrylic artists ink, but they were out of white in the FW brand and the same gentleman told me that the Winsor & Newton ink would work just as well.  This store only allow returns on unopened product and I wasn't sure if ink has been used by anyone before.  I thought I ought to check as this man was knowledgeable about supplies, but not the art of making teddies.  Can anyone help me out on this on?

Thanks!
Shanna

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Shanna,
Not true! First there is no such thing as acrylic ink, it is acrylic paint. The most permanent ink I have found is India ink. Every brand of ink or acrylic I have tested has a mix of fade resistant and quick fading colors. I've even had a red color turn green! (None of these went out to collectors.) What I did was take a square of faux fur and I mounted it on a piece of cardboard. I drew a thick line of color for each ink or paint I was testing across the fur. I then put a piece of cardboard over 1/2 the line (cutting out light completely). Then I put the fur/cardboard in a bright window. After 3 months I took off the cardboard, compared the two halves, and checked if the color had faded or changed. Then I placed it back in the window for 3 more months. Prisma Colors fared the best and of the Prisma Colors only about 6 were unchanged. Using my tested colors I have pieces I've created over 10 years ago that have not changed in color.

Loveland

Thank-you!  I really like that you tested this, wonderful!  I will plan on returning these then and getting some Prisma colors instead.  Can I ask you which colors of Prisma performed the best?  Thank you so much for this valuable information!

Shanna

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Shanna,
I didn't mean to sound so harsh about FW and acrylic ink. It's a fine brand. I just think it's worth doing at least a 3 month test on any color and brand you want to use. I use Faux fur, the tests might come out differently if you use mohair or alpaca? I also know artists that swear by art pencils or powder pigments.  I wish there were a place we can look to find the best fade resistant and waterproof inks/colors but I have never found such a list.
Karen

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Karen, is it the Prismacolor Art Markers that you've used? (I'm not sure which of their products you mean.)

Becky

Fallenrose near Cologne

Karen,
I've got a question, too, if you don't mind. Do you know a good online source for the prismacolors? I want to buy some but don't find them where I live...

Hugs and thanks, Ariane

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Shana, Becky, Ariane,
Here is my source for individual Prisma Art Markers ~http://www.dickblick.com/products/prismacolor-premier-double-ended-art-markers
For my work I use all the different French greys, black, some cool greys, tan, burnt ochre, terra cotta and a few others.
Karen

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Thank you, Karen!

Becky

Fallenrose near Cologne

Thank you so much for the link as I need to shade one of my creatures (Zakumi) soon; haven't started with him yet as the materials only arrived yesterday, but nevertheless, it is good to know where I can get those Prismacolors.

:hug:  Ariane

Loveland

That's what I've been using.  We have several store locally that sell them which is nice.  I'm going to go tomorrow to exchange this ink and acrylic paint and get  some more Prisma colors.

Thanks again Karen!!

Shanna

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

The inks will fade design or prismacolour markers are best. If you don't want to use acrylic paint try gouche (not sure if I spelt that right) it's an opique water colour that comes in a small tube. You can use it straight out of the tube or water it down in a tiny container till it is runny like ink. Best thing about it is you apply a small amount if this and you can leave it to dry and still blend it later by adding a little water to a clean brush. Windsor and newton is the best brand you can buy others but they aren't great quailty and don't apply nicely. Best part about this stuff is you can blend old or new colours in years later with just water. I have paintings I did almost 15 years ago and the colour is almost the same as the day it was done.

Fallenrose near Cologne

I was wondering.. they have some design markers here at my local craft store. I was told that they were like copic markers (but only a bit more inexpensive). They're form the brand Pro Markers - does anybody kno these and know if I can use them as alternative to the prismacolors?

Hugs, Ariane

Ivyworks Ivyworks Artistry
Ottawa, Ontario

Are Copic markers as good as Prismacolour markers for shading? Does anyone know if they fade at all? I'm using pencils right now, but am looking to start using the markers. Glad I found this thread, lots of useful info, thanks ladies  bear_grin

ScaliWagGrrs ScaliWagGrrs
Denver, Colorado
Website

I like the Prisma markers. I haven't tried the Copic. I have tried a variety of inks, paints and dyes on mohair and alpaca with limited results. Many seem to rub off.I used ink on synthetic with wonderful results but when I used it on mohair or alpaca it rubbed right off. I haven't done fading tests like Karen has done--I guess I should--great Idea!  I have found the prisma color markers to be one of the best at not rubbing off on mohair and alpaca. I don't just shade areas--I sometimes airbrush entire dogs markings on white mohair or alpaca. I have about ripped my hair out on trying to get things that don't rub off. I am now trying dyes in the airbrush and some of those even rub off. I don't like to use paints as they can be felt on the fur.  It is a lot of trial and error!
Beth

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

For those of you who are new or don't know about our library (right above Shanna's first post - on the left side), there is a topic called "Airbrushing/Painting/Shading" that has tons of information on markers, pencils, airbrushing, etc.  I get my Prismacolor markers from www.carpediemstore.com as they have the best prices I have found anywhere.

The Artful Fox The Artful Fox
Nottinghamshire

I used copic markers to add markings on a mohair ginger cat and they faded really after only a few months :-(

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I have heard that copic markers fade easily.  I guess maybe for shading a whole body, airbrush would be the way to go.  That is too bad about your cat, it must be a huge disappointment.

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

When using copic markers on your critters, the copic ink needs to be heat set.  I have used the copic markers to do spots for giraffes over the years.  The color has held up on the ones that were heat set.

Kelly1976 kellys bears
newcastle upon tyne

I use pro markers and they have worked fine on faux fur they don't work so good on suede though !

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I am so pleased to see this topic discussed again; I'm proud to say that I was one of the first to bring shading to minis back in 1992 & 3. Before that we just stitched the bears together but I wanted to put depth behind the eyes and into some of the body creases. We used mainly Malden Mills'® long nap fiber (the shiny nylon stuff) and I found the best color application was with Prismacolor® pencils, rubbed in in several layers, w/rubbing off all excess in-between with foam rubber makeup sponges. Sepia was my go-to color base color for everything.
From there I went to the Prismacolor® markers and found the Prismacolor® Sepia-shade marker to be consistent with the pencil and used that for both synthetic and natural fibers, even after switching to wool/animal fibers of needle felting. Copics® didn't have the same range of available colors, though they were the first to bring out a Color Blender, which helped fade out the marker deposit from ink-to-nothing in almost no distance. I liked the warmth Sepia gave rather that the cooler grays.
Kudos to you, Karen, for your intensive 'lab' testing. You do create Heirloom work!

Board footer