Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Hi,  I was wondering if people tend to put labels or some way of signing on their needlefelted animals?  I use shrink art tags sewn in on my mohair animals, but don't know if that would be the best solution for the little needlefelted animals.

Hugs,

Ellen

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

That's a tough one - at least on miniatures. The nature of the work doesn't lend itself to the normal in-the-seam methods. A small tiny hang tag/shrinky/handmade 'something' would be next best, though that is no longer attached.

One could always loop yarn through a hole in Ultrasuede® and needle that into the work and it would be as firmly and permanently attached as a seam-sewn label; I guest it depends on the piece: on a clown ted I wouldn't mind seeing a label attached this way.

Many bears that I see for sale are shown only from the front: the head is tilted different ways from the right and left but it's essentially the same view - you don't see the labels.
I design natural/realistic looking animals and show images from all sides. I feel that any attached label would detract from my pieces so I don't attach labels.
My 'look' and other distinctive features that only I'm doing are going to have to be my identifiers.
I surely am interested in other's opinions too!

Bobbie

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Hi Ellen, this is a great question, and I agree with Bobbie's comments about tags detracting from your work.

I normally sew a shrinky tag or hang a shrinky tag around my critters neck when its sold to is new collector, up until then its photographed and displayed untagged.

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Thanks Bobbie and Karen!  bear_original   Yes, I decided not to put a tag.  Putting one around the neck on a cord sounds like a good solution, though.

Hugs,

Ellen

Fibreheart Fibreheart

Hi, I'm new here and I just wanted to give some advice to this question.  I used fabric tags on my critters.  I had them custom made and they are big enough to read but small enough not to be overwhelming.  I have been needle felting for about 4 month now and I put tags on my 1.5" and up critters.

Collages5.jpg

Collages12.jpg

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Welcome Mandy,

That's a good positioning, because it wraps to the back and kind of hugs the curve of the leg.

How tall are your pups?
I like the look of the way you add your fiber; adding it in randomly-oriented amounts rather than wrapping it around the project.
It gives a uniform surface that looks realistic rather than showing where each section was added and needled on.

Board footer