Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Hi all! I have been using an air brush for ages on my bears and I don't think they look finished without it. All of this time I have only used the airbrush for shading, that is adding darker color. I use Dye Na Flow silk dyes and have been pleased with the results.

I have a bear now who has darker fur (mohair) which I would like to highlight rather than shade. Has anyone had luck with airbrushing  lighter color over darker fur? I'm not sure the silk dyes will work because you cannot really dye something a lighter color, but I am a wee bit afraid that a more opaque paint will stiffen the fur too much. Anyone care to share experiences?

P.S. nice to stop back in and "see" everyone.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Can't help on the airbrushing...wish I could..I have all the gear and have never used it!! LOL
However you may find that oil paints work rather well for this 'highlighting' ..as do acrylics....all used sparingly in layers of course...and allowed to dry till really fixed.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Hi, Jenny! Thank you. I was thinking along those lines. I decided to try Createx air brush paint because it is acrylic based. I mixed it with some water to make it slightly traslucent and I think it worked. I am not entirely pleased with the color as I was going for something a little warmer, but since the fabric is still nice and soft I think I can add another layer with some warmth. I was too impatitent to wait for an answer :redface: had to go experiment!

I have seen some amazing affects done with oil based colors, but have been afraid to try them because of something I was told in art class ages ago. The reason canvas must be given a coat of Gesso (an acrylic based primer) before oil paints are used is because the oil paint will deteriorate the fabric over time. I would worry the same would happen to the fur, and you couldn't very well "gesso" the bear!

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Hiya Tami bear_original I'm no airbrush expert as you know, but the shop I work at has Schminke airbrush inks and there's a white opaque that you can mix: there's also an additive for using it on fabric. Not sure how much use I'm being, but thought I'd let you know that that range has a fabric additive too bear_original

Board footer