Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Who watches T.V whilst sewing and what do you watch?

As I hand sew all of my bears I will often sit and watch T.V whilst I sew. I love to watch films but have two favourite programs from the USA that I admit I am addicted to. The first is Extreme Makeover Home Edition and the second is 24 with Kieffer Sutherland as Jack Bauer. I just wish we had a Ty Pennington here to help me get some jobs done or even build me a new house!
I would like a six bedroomed house in place of my four bedroomed house. It would have three reception rooms like I have now only much bigger. A games room with a snooker table for my son Simon. A fantastic kitchen with all mod cons fitted. Two bathrooms fitted with bath, shower, bidet etc, plus one must be ensuite to the master bedroom. Plus (not being at all selfish) a huge big craft room with loads of storage for my mohair stash etc.  A double garage and the gardens would have to be landscaped with a larger pond than I have now and a lovely patio twice the size of my exhisting one. My kids have stated that they want a swimming pool with a waterfall and of course a trampoline! See we don't want much at all. :rolleyes:

I know that in the USA you are well ahead of us with the 24 program as it is in it's fourth season here and at episode 21 so please don't anyone say what happens as I would hate to have it spoiled for me. My son David is also a huge fan and has made his own website about 24.  I know David would love it if any of you would like to check it out. The address is:

http://www.24hourbauer.co.uk

Now back to dreaming of the day Ty shouts down his megaphone "Good morning Martin family"

Jane in la-la land!!!!!!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

HI Jane-
I confess.....I am a closet newsaholic,  so usually I have it on a 24 hour news program.  But if the all-news-all-day is tooooo depressing, like endlessly going over gruesom details of a childs murder I will switch to something inane-a movie.

Also I put on music.  Because our house is dome shaped the accustics are phenomenal.  I just wish we had a better system-
The problem with great music is that I stop sewing in order to concentrate.

Also I made the mistake? of buying this cute little baby toy that plays music when you roll this little drum like thingy- and our parrot has learned to do this with great efficiency. So she expects me to sing the words along to her little songs.  It's nice that she is smart enough to interact, like a 3 year old, but I sometimes think if I hear 'old Macdonold had a farm' one more time I will no longer be merly wonky but will slid down the drain into totally bonkers.

I do the tv because it has commercial breaks, and when they come on I get up and do things that need doing.  It reminds me not to sew all day, and helps me remember that there is a garden to water and weed, and, heaven forbid, a house to cleam.

I am lucky that my hubbyhoney is oblivious, and could not care less, as long as everyone is happy, including the bird, then, he is happy.

For any newish bird owners out there, beware of putting your parrots name in a song, she/ he will want you to sing it all the time.

All the time.

All the......time.....

Dilly dally
sewing's right up my alley
but singing should never be done
with a voice like a frog
while I make Gollywog.
Life has never been so much fun!  :D:D

dilu:P

sockerplinga Sundsvall
Website

Yep, I do it too! bear_original

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Since my bears are mostly sewn by machine, I have to stick to my workroom.  But I have one or more cats to keep me complany, plus I listen to my favorite music.  Since my computer is also in my workroom, I just bounce back and forth throughout the day . . . computer, sewing, sewing, computer.  I do confess to watching one soap opera that I've followed since 1983 . . . "General Hospital".  However, I've programmed everything so that hubby and I watch GH while we eat our main meal . . . so I rationalize that I'm not wasting time (since I HAVE to eat!). bear_grin  Otherwise, I don't watch anything else on the tube until the 10:00pm news.  I'm lucky that Paul is as hooked on GH as I am or it might be a little harder to pull off!!  bear_grin

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

It's not that I'm NOT a TV addict--I love it. Latest passions are Stargate SG1 and Monk, old favorites are all the Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama and Southpark they can throw at me in reruns!

Since I'm online-tutoring and bearmaking at the same time most days, I bought myself a subscription to Audible. I can download novels, plays, poetry--most of the time whatever my students are working on.

This way, I don't have to put down my bear to "read"  . . . :D

Eileen

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

Dilu - What kind of bird do you have? I have an African Grey and your's sounds intelligent like mine.  bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I listen to the radio or talk to the dog. Tucker is a great listener. bear_laugh I've been thinking I should get some books on CD to listen to. Then I'd be multi tasking! bear_grin On nice days this spring I'd have the windows open and listen to the birds. Now it's 99 degrees and humid as the tropics so the birdies are chillin' in their nests and the house is closed up with the a/c on. I don't do TV much. There are a couple of programs each week I watch with hubby at night.... NUMBERS and NCIS and if I can stay up late enough I watch Judging Amy. We used to watch JAG but that's just been canceled after 10+ years. I can't sew and watch TV. I get sucked into the TV. Lucky for me I find the rest of the stuff on TV stupid. OK, the Home and Garden channel is interesting sometimes. And of COURSE animal planet. But I can't watch more than an hour or two a week.

Now, if I could use the computer AND sew at the same time I'd be in heaven!!!!! Heaven!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Daphne

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Well I guess I really am old fashioned.  I do not watch TV, but I usually am watching a video while I'm  sewing.  Here's the old fashioned part.  I watch The Waltons, Andy Griffith, Roy Rogers ...... get the picture?  Now I know why my bears tend to have that "old" look.  That's just my nostalgia coming out in them.

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

My husband usually watches TV non stop but it's spring and he moves out doors to the picnic table on our large front porch,, yeah !!!
I get so tired of hearing that TV all day and all night long that I have had to learn to " tune it out ". If I can't , like if I need to do the bills or concentrate closely on anything ...I move to my back sewing room by the window,  the light in there is NOT good at all. We live in a mobile home so sounds are hard to get away from.

Sometimes he is gone all day so in contrast that creates a "vacuum " , after about 2 hrs. I have to do something so I turn on the radio low to music I like  or I take a break and allow myself to get on the PC for awhile or I make a phone call or...put on a music CD I like . It breaks the monotony, at least I have a choice of what kind of noise I want, he, he. Oh ,I just love this spell check thing..it's kind of fun to see how many I get wrong ...Winney

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Winney,

Earphones for Father's Day? :D

My kids like their music loud and their TV low, so low that the the Old Dears can't hear at all!

Eileen

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Ear phones for me............. my husband won't wear them as he had ear troubles all his life. I even wear ear plugs when I go to bed as he loves to have the radio on then falls asleep ...but if I turn off the radio he wakes up and say s" Now, why did you turn that off ? I was listening to it "....agh ! I give up  ...Winney

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

When I sew, I enjoy seeing the (weedy) garden and the horses in the field next door at the horse rescue our neighbors run.  Bliss is hearing the wind chimes, birds and bees outside my windows, and at night, hearing the horses squealing to each other and their hooves thundering across the ground. Sometimes I play music CDs.

When Werner and I married 7 yrs ago, he had a habit of watching TV in bed.  Sometimes it would stay on all night.  I never felt like I slept well during those times.  A few years ago, when our church encouraged the congregation to join in a month-long time of (intermittent) fasting, as part of our fast we decided to unplug the TV in our bedroom.  A few months went by before we realized that we weren't watching TV anymore; nothing religious about it, we had simply lost interest.  Now when one of our housemates has the sound up loud in the "TV" room, I find it annoying and will shut the door or ask them to lower the sound.   Now, when you gals are discussing your TV faves, I don't have anything to contribute, as I'm out of the loop on that subject.  Shoot!  I have enough trouble staying focused on bear making with only the 'puter as a distraction. :rolleyes::D

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website

I have been known to watch TV while working with the bears, but I find that my eyes stray from the bear, then my hands stop working and I'm just sitting there watching CSI.

So I usually put in a tape to listen to with earphones as hubby usually has a basketball game going full tilt with the volume wwaaay up.   My favorites are the Harry Potter tapes.    I have all five and never get tired of listening to them.   I'm waiting for book numer six to come out on tape.    Occasionally I'll listen to music with nature sounds or classical/romantic piano tapes too.

I can sew, pin, trim, turn and stuff all while listening to the tapes.   I usually have a cat or two sitting on the sewing machine basking in the Ott light or on the little table beside me to keep me company.   Aaaah, heaven!!!

Wanda Carson
Carson Creations

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

Wow Wanda! Don't get me into Harry Potter! I'm waiting for 11pm on July 15th when my daughter Sarah and I will be in town waiting for the launch of the new Harry Potter book at midnight. I paid a deposit for two of the books month ago when they first announced it's release. Why two? One for Sarah and one for me! We can't wait for each other to finish the book so we have our own copies. Sarah has so many H.P. things in her collection including the books in Latin, Japanese, German and of course English.  She has the USA editions and all of the books on tape and CD, the USA version read by Jim Dale and the English version read by Stephen Fry etc etc, Oh the list goes on and on!  Enjoy the new book!

Jane,  still living in in la-la land waiting for Ty Pennington!!!!!!!!!!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I watch a little TV - always the news, but then it goes off for the afternoon and I play music LOUD while I work!  I play all kinds of things, but right now it's Jack Johnson, Joss Stone and I'm reliving my Eurythmics albums! bear_original

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Kirsten:

she is a blue and gold Macaw.and she is telepathic and toooo smart.  She is scarry sometimes.  All I have to do is think, THINK, chocolate and she starts her IWANT dance.

Paula:

I have the opposite problem with music-I start to really listen and then forget to sew.  And if it music that has words, or rhythm I forget to sew but sing and dance....not a pretty site.  I am not very discerning in my music choices,

I am partial to the three great "B"s of music

Bach
Beethoven
Beetles

or was that Bartok

or Brahms?

O Dear

Fortunately the critters arounds here aren't critics.

Although if I make a mistake on the piano, Kirah, (the parrot) squawks at me.  It's like being 8 years old all over again and trying to please mom.  Ha! :D

I can use bad movies or the news as background noise to tone down the ringing in the ears

And the ringing in the ears is the price I pay for years of Orchestra and band (oboe is a four letter word) rehearsals and performances

oh joy....isn't life a riot? 

You just never ever know what's going to happen next-but it is always an adventure and even the not so great adventures have their high points and glad happy joyous moments....

Dilu  bear_original:)

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I love the quiet... but sometimes I find that I slow down when there's no noise.  So depending on my mood... I'll pop in a DVD on the computer, turn on the History Channel on the TV, or put a CD in.  My bear work room has a small TV, the computer and my bear stuff. 

I tried books on CD and I just can't listen to them.  I'm a very visual person, and I guess I have trouble "listening" to words that were meant to be read.  But that's why I DO enjoy listening to DVD's (that I've seen before... and yes!  Especially Harry Potter!!) or the History Channel.  Because those scripts were MEANT to be spoken, not read by the "audience".  Don't know why it's that way for me... but it is! LOL!

When I listen to music, my taste is VERY ecletic... Heavy metal, "new" country, easy listening, jazz, classic rock...

In the evenings, hubby sometimes likes to relax by watching tv after he's done with his woodworking after he's done with WORK.  He likes to "channel surf" which drives me NUTS!  But I did find that if I'm working on something (like BEARS!) then I really don't mind at all if he surfs cause I don't pay much attention to what's on.  We just both enjoy being in the same room together. 

However, I do have to say that there's one show I actually WATCH... that's the new TV show on Fox :  House (a doctor show with a puzzle tossed in)  It used to be NYPD Blues... but I got hooked on House the week after NYPD Blues closed.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

Laura...House, I just love that character! I was watching the program last night...did you know the character of Gregory House, played by Hugh Laurie is British? I think he carries being an American off quite well don't you! But what the heck I'm British so how would I know what a good American accent is anyhow! :)

Jane.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Hugh Laurie definitely does the best American accent ever. I first heard it in the Stuart Little film. I'd watched him for years on Blackadder, and couldn't believe my ears!

Nicholasville, KY
Website

doodlebears wrote:

...did you know the character of Gregory House, played by Hugh Laurie is British?
Jane.

Oh my gosh!  I had NO idea!  Poor hubby!  He already knows I'm head over heels for that character!  If I ever heard him speaking in his British accent I'd be a goner bear_grin

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

Just for you Laura Lynn

gregoryhouse5vy.jpg
enjoy!
Jane.

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Oh My GOSH!!!!!!!!  Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  bear_laugh:D:D:D:D:D:D  Saved THAT pic to my computer bear_grin

Board footer