Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

sandlalouer Luxembourg

Hi all,

I need your help. I would like to buy a sewing machine, but no clue which one... Can you please give me some advices? I will use it for clothes but perhaps also for mohair ... Perhaps is there already a post on that subject?

Thank you for your help,
Beary hugs,
Sandrine

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

Hi,
I use my Singer Featherweight for sewing bears (mohair, alpaca, synthetic) and I love it!  It makes the tiniest little stitches just perfect for bear making.  I use a Brother for clothing and Home Sewing.   I would highly recommend a Singer Featherweight for bears, though!   Cathy Forcino has some lovely Featherweights on her website:   http://www.cathylynnforcino.com/sewing%20machines.html
Good luck!
Janice

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Yes, we have discussed machines before. Everyone uses something different. It depends what is available near you. You'll want to find a brand carried by a local dealer who can also repair it should it need to be serviced. It also depends on what fits your price range. It is best to go and try machines out. If you plan to sew mohair on it take some scraps with you when you try out machines.

Some brands many of us use include: Viking/Husqvarna, Janome, Bernina, Pfaff and if you don't want a lot of stitch options but a machine that will out live you consider an old fashioned Singer Featherweight as Janice mentioned above. I bought mine from Cathy (see the link in Janice's post) and love it. I also have a Viking... a basic model that does just enough pretty stitches and has all computerized controls and sews mohair and fine silk beautifully.

You can click on search up near the top right of the screen and type words into the keyword box like "sewing machine" to find previous discussions on this.

Board footer