Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi everyone,

I do hope someone can help me please.  I have recently acquired a bear which is not very old but which has obviously been kept somewhere with a combination of avery musty smell and a little doggy and the poor bear smells absolutely horrible.  bear_sad

I like my own home to feel airy and smell nice and fresh, but the appearance of this bear makes things change in a flash and we can't stand this smell. 
The bear has not got wet or anything, it's not mildewy, it's purely a smell of its surroundings that have got impregnated into the mohair - badly!!  So, poor bear is in the garage!  I have tried putting him outside in the very crisp fresh air that we have at the moment, but this hasn't helped one bit.

I have tried googling this but answers seem mainly for things which can be washed using things like vinegar or lemon.   As this mohair bear is not for washing, I was wondering if anyone could please recommend something which will get rid of this smell FAST!!   I do not want to spray the bear with anything though.  I am sure years ago people used to use some sort of crystals or something for this type of problem. 

Any help on this matter would be so much appreciated, and I'm sure the bear would be much happier too!  bear_original

Many thanks.

Hugs

Marilyn x

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub I can only suggest putting it in a box with baking soda and then vacumm, or perhaps in the clothes dryer with softner sheets. Those are the only things I can think of.  Thats too bad that the poor thing smells, must have gotten wet and than sat somewhere dark and dingy. Perhaps the poor thing will have to live outside.
Hugs Pat bear_flower

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I do know that if it is a mildewy smell you first have to kill the mildew.  The thing that does that is not just fresh air but direct sun.  Then after it is not growing any more it may be easier to use other products to help with the smell.

Joanne

Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi Joanne,

Thank you for taking the time to answer. 

No, it is definitely not mildewy in any way, neither has it got damp or anything.  This is purely a "smell" problem, nothing else.  It's just a case of the smell of its
surroundings that have got impregnated into it and need to be got rid of rather quickly.

Hugs

Marilyn

Geralye Belper, Derbyshire

Febreeze?

Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi Pat,

Thank you for your suggestion.  I am wondering whether the box has to be enclosed, bit like a plastic bag, then sprinkle some baking soda in?  I may try this.

Hi Geralye,

I think with Febreze, it puts some other perfumed smell into the item and I certainly don't want that.

I have noticed though that they do a Pet Odour one, wonder if that would work?

Many thanks both of you.

Hugs

Marilyn.

Dawn J Hugs Unlimited
West Yorkshire
Website
Barling Bears wrote:

Hi Pat,

Thank you for your suggestion.  I am wondering whether the box has to be enclosed, bit like a plastic bag, then sprinkle some baking soda in?  I may try this.

Hi Geralye,

I think with Febreze, it puts some other perfumed smell into the item and I certainly don't want that.

I have noticed though that they do a Pet Odour one, wonder if that would work?

Many thanks both of you.

Hugs

Marilyn.

Hi Marilyn

Lavender wipes from M & S are perfect for this. I know that some old bear restorers use them on old bears - they are brilliant. They are like baby wipes, but are intended for use on delicate upholstery. You will notice a lavender smell for a couple of days, but when that fades, the bear will just smell nice and fresh.  I agree about Febreeze - I really dislike the smell of that.

Hugs
Dawn

smdogs gone to the dogs/sm dog designs
Kansas City Missouri
Website

Hi Marilyn,

I have pets and even though I can not smell very well due to my sinus problems I know that I have a few dog odor problems. So I did a little experiment of my own. I found that spraying Vinigar on items or just as a air freshiner or pouring a little bit in a jar leaving it open in a room works very well.
I just use the Viniger in a spray bottle and give the Bear or other items that are not washable a good spray. Let it dry and then you can brush out the bear. You can repeat as often as you like. Vinigar is a natural product and it does not hurt the fabric.  I have used this on some old bears that I have had for years. I have also used Baking soda, in some what of the same fashin. Just spinkle some soda on the bear or other items, let set for about 30 minutes inside or out and then brush out. You may have to repeat a couple of times. The internet is full of ideas on how to use Vinigar and Baking Soda. 

I have also found on the internet that charcoal like for barbiques or fish aquariums works well for odors. You would have to put the bear in a box or bag and just set some charcoal in something open for the smell from the bear to be absorbed. Do not get the charcoal to close to the bear it might leave a black stain.

Sheryl

Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi there!

Oooh, many thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

Dawn,  -  thank you for your input.  These sound a nice option, especially as bear restorers use them.  Thank you.

Sheryl  -  thank you for all your help.  Yes, I have been googling away and saw that vinegar was good but I am a bit afraid of spraying even lightly on this bear, but may try the open jar way in a sealed bag.  I did read about the soda which appears to be brilliant for 1001 things, sounds as though you can throw out most of your household cleaning chemicals and just use this stuff instead!  I am going to sprinkle the bear tomorrow morning with it but will try on some spare mohair first.  I did find some soda crystals in a cupboard a few minutes ago (I remembered my Mum had given me some for my drains many moons ago!!).  So the bear is currently sitting in a sealed plastic bag with a container of soda crystals inside, hoping that it may absorb some of the smells.  In the morning, when I release the bear from its trappings, if the smell still knocks my socks off then I will douse it with the soda and let it stew in it a while and hoover the poor bear a little later.  Charcoal sounds good too!

You learn something new every day!!

Many thanks once again.

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower

Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Ooops forgot to ask you Dawn in my last bit, are these wipes the ones used for carpet and fabric stain removal, as they are the only ones I can find online, or are you talking about some general wipes for your hands etc?  Sorry to be a pain!

Hugs

Mrilyn

Dawn J Hugs Unlimited
West Yorkshire
Website
Barling Bears wrote:

Ooops forgot to ask you Dawn in my last bit, are these wipes the ones used for carpet and fabric stain removal, as they are the only ones I can find online, or are you talking about some general wipes for your hands etc?  Sorry to be a pain!

Hugs

Mrilyn

It;s the ones for carpet and stain removal

Hugs

Dawn

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub Back again, I do not think I would put the bear in a sealed bag due to moisture that may still be in the bear.  I would put closed box with the baking soda. Or like one person said out in the hot sun for awhile to really dry up the odor. Poor thing could be damp in its innards.  I am sure your head is swimming with ideas by now.  Also the closed bag would smother the poor baby. LOL
Hope something works.  I also heard of the charcoal bit for absorbing odors.
take care
Pat bear_flower

Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Dawn  -  thank you.

Pat -  thank you,  I am pretty sure that the bear is not wet or damp at all, but I do take your point that probably there is no need for a sealed bag, so maybe best to let some air flow around stinky, so I will get a box instead tomorrow.   Had a good laugh about popping the bear out in the hot sun  - unfortunately we have been up to our little armpits in snow and it's hovering around zero at the mo!!  bear_grin  Any thoughts of sun and warmth seem a million miles away!! 

Thank you ladies, most helpful.

Hugs,

Marilyn bear_flower

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

He Canada we can get a smoke remover that comes in a container and inside is a large sponge full of something LOL. You just open the container in a room and it removes the smoke smell from the room. The sponge attracts the smoke and traps it. I don't know if the sponge has an actual smell to it or not. But wondering if something like that might work as well.   I did a google search and found these, sounds like they are very similar to the ones we get here.  http://www.thebadairsponge.com/smoke_odor_remover.html

Sounds like it might help

big hugs

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hi Marilyn,

I'll add my experiences with sealed plastic bags and baking soda, which is that they work great sometimes, and that you won't have the bear in there for long enough to worry about moisture.

When a smelly vintage toy used to arrive at my house, this worked well--especially for tobacco smoke odors, less well for pet odors. I'd try to submerge the toy in soda (as far as that was possible) in a big zip-lock bag. Over two days or so, I'd shift it around to distribute the soda. Then I'd brush off the toy very well (and the vacuum sounds like a good idea, too).

Here's hoping,
Becky

Us Bears Pennsylvania

First brush him with a soft, short bristled brush.
Brush in short strokes.  Get any loose dust or dirt out of his fur.

Next, wash him with warm water and mild soap.  Use Woolite or Dr. Bronner's.
You can buy special "Bear Bath" at any Build A Bear shop.  Gund markets a Bear Bath, too.
Surface wash, ONLY.  Do not soak the fur. Just wet the cloth, wring it out and wipe.  Wipe again with a damp cloth without soap.  Let the Bear air dry.  When he is dry, brush up his fur to make it fluffy.

If the Bear still has an odor, wash him again.

Use Fabreeze but don't go too heavy.  Give him a light spray.  Just mist the fur.  Rub it in well.  Let the Bear air dry again.

Keep the Bear in a well ventilated place so he can air out.  Give him a few days.  If he still smells spritz him again and let him air out for some more time.

It could take a long time for the smell to go away but it usually does.

We often rescue Bears from places where they pick up smells.  This is how we do it.

Just be patient.  It will work.

Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi everyone,

The Bearguys - many thanks for your thoughts.   Smoke odour is not the problem (I almost wish it were!).  I looked up the item you were talking about but it is still mainly to do with smoke, which I know is fairly easy to eradicate.  Nice thought though and will certainly keep these in mind.

Becky - thank you for all your help.  I am thinking that this is the safest method to try first.  I did read somewhere that the baking soda could be placed in a bowl inside of a bag containing the "article" so I did that last night with the bear sealed up.  I opened the bag this morning expecting to smell great things - wish I hadn't sniffed!  choke!  He!  The mohair is quite long on this bear so maybe immersing it in soda completely will make the job of getting rid of the soda difficult.  The soda I have got, although called soda crystals, is just a fine powder.  Actually Becky, do you have to throw the soda away afterwards, or does the smell disappear when you have finished with it over a few days?  Just wondering.

Us Bears - thank you too for everything.  I will also give this a go.  I think a combination of everything suggested here has hopefully just got to work!!

Many thanks to all of you, your help is awesome as usual and very much appreciated.

Hugs to all.

Marilyn x

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I have direct experience dealing with smelly Bears.

Melanie and I have rescued several Bears from a home where the elderly occupant didn't take very much pride in personal hygiene.  (If you get my meaning.  bear_whistle )  The entire house and everything in it smelled like a nursing home during a health care strike.  Take a second to imagine what that smells like.  It was B-A-D!    :o

All the Bears got taken home to our den and they were set up to air out for a while.  Then we set out cleaning them as outlined above.  It took time and effort to get all the Bears de-scented and spiffed up but they are all safe, happy and smell-free.

If you look at the Bears' website, they are most of the Bears who sit on the stairs.  They are all very happy living in our den.  They all breathe a lot easier now.  They don't have to run around pinching their noses and trying to hold their breath all day long.  bear_happy
http://web.me.com/randystankey/Bears/Bears.html

Every Bear who comes to live in our den who has a smell problem gets the treatment I outlined above.  We have a very high success rate but it usually takes two or three treatments if the Bear smells really nasty.

If you end up washing multiple times, be sure to let the Bear dry out completely between washings.
First, you don't want to saturate him with water.  You need to let him dry out.
Second, you won't know how much of the smell you took out until the Bear is completely dry.

I wouldn't use a lot of preparations.  The only thing we use is Fabreeze and, then, it is only as a last resort.  Most of our de-scenting is done by good, old-fashioned washing.

We've probably done a couple-few dozen Bears this way and, we just received a whole raft of new Bears who may need to be cleaned up.  It'll be work but, unless you like a smelly Bear Den, you have to do it!  bear_happy

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Marilyn wrote:

Actually Becky, do you have to throw the soda away afterwards, or does the smell disappear when you have finished with it over a few days?

You'll probably want to throw it away, or maybe use it for cleaning (not for cooking). The soda absorbs the odors and holds onto them. Yuck.

Becky

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Just keep in mind that baking soda is not a very good odor absorber.  It's a myth that has been promoted by manufacturers like Arm & Hammer as a way to sell more product.  Nothing more.

While baking soda can neutralize odors by chemical action through direct contact with offending substances, putting an open box of baking soda in a fridge or in a room can not have a great effect.  The baking soda needs to be applied to the offensive article or it must be directly exposed to the odor producing substance.

Baking soda is an alkaline substance.  Many odor causing substances have a slightly acidic base.  As you might know, acidic and alkaline substances neutralize each other.  Since all smelly substances are not acidic, not all smells will be neutralized.  Even then, the effect will not be great since baking soda is only of moderate strength.

A better thing to absorb odors would be activated charcoal.  It is porous and will absorb the smells into its pores and hold them there.  You can get activated charcoal at any aquarium shop.  It is used inside fish tank filters to keep the water clean.  It's not very expensive.

I would not keep used baking soda for cooking.  It has been exposed to the moisture in the air and has probably crusted over.  Like Becky says, it can be used for cleaning but not cooking.

Honestly, the best method for removing smells from Bears or any item is through manual cleaning.  My best recommendation is the judicious application of a little elbow grease and liberal application of tender loving care.  bear_original

Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Becky - many thanks for all the information, very kind of you.

Us bears - wow, I couldn't believe the number of bears you have around your home!!!  Loved listening to the delightful tune for  "Teddy Bears Picnic", always makes you feel up beat doesn't it.  And thank you for all your help and information too.  I will be getting down to sorting this poor fella out tomorrow so we will see how he spruces up!

Thank you everyone.

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Marilyn,
A shop owner once told me about a bear maker who used to supply her with bears.  The bears always came in stinky!  She had dogs and smoked.  She said that the only thing that would get rid of the stink was setting them outside for a week or two!  So, try putting the stinky critter outside for quite a while.  She was upfront with the lady who made them and told her not to expect to see them on the shelves until they were completely aired out.  You can always give it to a person that to feel obliged to give a gift to but don't really like!    bear_whistle

Hugs,
Alison

shiniker Little Leaf Bears by Shanna
Loveland

You probably already know this, but just in case I thought I should mention that wet mohair has an odor all it's own.  It goes away when it dries, but that takes a lot longer than I would have thought.  I typically rinse my mohair before I make a bear out it, but the first time I did this Alison from teddy bear mohair got a panicky phone call from me because the fur still smelled even though it felt dry.  Several more days just hanging out and the wet dog smell was gone, but I didn't want you to get disheartened too soon!

Good luck
Shanna

Board footer