Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Kristina Kristina Bears
Edmonton
Website

Does anyone know what kind of software program creates this look?? I bought a new puter and would like to get some kind of photo program.

I LOVE this look...not to mention her critters..lol..

http://elfenpulver.blogspot.com/

It looks vintage and I love the little writting on it!

Any ideas???
HuGS
Kristina

Us Bears Pennsylvania

The "retro color" look can be created with Photoshop fairly easily.

Image > Adjustments > Photo Filter...
Then apply the "sepia" filter to the image and adjust the strength to your taste using the slider at the bottom of the panel.

However, I might suggest that you duplicate the image into a second layer on top of the background then apply the filter to that.  This gives you a lot more flexibility.  You can adjust the transparency and blending mode to create the look you want without having to apply a filter and "undo" ten times until you get what you want.  This also gives you a bit of a safety margin because you are not working on the original image but a copy of the image in another layer.  If you totally screw up, all you have to do is delete the layer and you're back to the way you were before you began.

The text and curlycues on top of the images were simply put in via layers.  Just draw what you like and layer it on top of the image.  The "text" tool in your tool palate allows you to type text right on top of the image.

The rest of the image effects were just done with low-key lighting.  Just adjust the lighting levels between the foreground and background to suit the visual effect you are going for.  It is possible to simulate this effect in Photoshop but it requires making layer masks and adjusting brightness/contrast curves for each layer.  It's probably just easier to achieve the effect in the camera.  Honestly, so many people will fuss with Photoshop for hours to "almost" get the look they wanted when they could have achieved the same thing with the camera in about 30 seconds.
bear_happy

Kristina Kristina Bears
Edmonton
Website

Thanks a bunch for the info!!!
HuGS!!
Kristina

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Just a little bit of shamless self-promotion:

I am able to do small and medium sized jobs like this from home and I would enjoy the opportunity to do work for others.  I would do it for a donation to my PayPal account or we could work out other mutually beneficial arrangements as the situation dictates.

Send an e-mail or PM if you have questions.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

You may want to try picnik.  It is an online photo editing program.  Can't do cut and paste but you can do vintage coloring and lettering.
I use Photoshop for the big stuff but I use this site for all the other stuff.  I have a premium account that costs about $20.00 a year but there is a whole lot there you can do for free.

Joanne

http://www.picnik.com/app

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Joanne,
Thanks! I'm pretty good with Photoshop but the site, picnik, has a lot of cool special features that I have been looking for!
Karen

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh, wow! I've never heard of Picnik before... it's awesome! I just spent 1/2 an hour playing (I should have been wrapping Christmas presents! Sh!) I use Paint Shop Pro for all my photo editing and graphic design but Picnik looks like a lot fun for quick editing and fun graphics. Thanks, Joanne!
bear_thumb

Kristina Kristina Bears
Edmonton
Website

Hi Joanne!!
Thanks!! I used picnik for making my blog header and love it! I guess I should look a little more into it...lol...
HuGS
Kristina

Board footer