Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

We are having somewhat of a problem in Wagga Wagga, being a rather nasty mouse plague.  We have just come back from a two week holiday and as you can imagine (or not) the house was overrun and totally stinks.  Anyway we have cleaned what we could but I have just noticed the little  :twisted: demons have gotten into my mohair and have (how can I put this delicately) urinated on it and it stinks.  How can I clean it?  Can I wash and what should I use to get the stench out?  It was a very expensive piece so I really don't want to toss it.  Any suggestions???

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

I wash a lot of mohair as it tends to make it fluffier.  I just use woolmix on a warm gentle cycle and line dry.  sometimes I will buy a very sparse mohair and use this method to fluff it up and it ends up looking denser.  I can empathise with your mouse problem - we have had one here for months but so far they haven't been near my mohair.  If you need to catch mice look upmouse trap bottle on you tube.  It works we caught over 20 one night at our local clubrooms.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I wash mohair too.  I don't even agitate it, I fill the machine with cold water, soap, and you may want to use some baking soda to help kill the smell, then I agitate it by hand, and let the machine spin and rinse.  I have found that even on gentle if I let the machine "wash"it is tends to unravel too much at the ends.  Shake out and line dry.  You can dry it on low in the dryer too.  It will tighten the backing up, and make it fluffy.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I wash mohair all the time as well, it does make it nice and fluffy. Should take care of the problem.

big hugs 

Shane

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

For urine, I would start with an enzymatic cleaner (available from pet supply stores) to kill the smell. You'd just soak the area with the cleaner and wait a bit.

Then - off to the washing machine. If you have a front-loading machine with a gentle cycle, I'd go ahead and use it, along with a bit of detergent and borax (kills odors) if you have it. Front-loading machines don't do the same kind of rough agitating as top-loading machines. Then into the dryer (perhaps with some clean, dry towels) on low heat.

Becky

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I cleaned a carpet  with white vinegar at the rental house that was so urine stained that the house reeked.  Just sprayed it on, let it soak all the way through and let it dry.  With the mohair I would soak the area or the entire piece with white vinegar then toss it in the washing machine.  That should take care of the problem.  Check that it hasn't stained the color before you dry it. 
Donna

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Apart from a really good wash Leanne, I have no other answers, but I do send you my biggest sympathies - mouse smell is just awful.  Good luck.

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

Thank you all very much.  I have washed in Softly on a very gentle cycle and it didn't unravel and now it smells heavenly!!  Only problem I have left, and you may not be able to help, is that the rotten things have also done their business on my porcelain dolls.  I have thrown out their clothes and will make more but obviously I cannot wash the dolls.  Would anyone have any ideas apart from putting them in the sun?

Board footer