Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

Hi,

I have read alot of ebay listings where people say that the nose is sculptured directly onto the face and is not sewn or glued and is not an attachment - for the life of me I just can't work this out (bet its obvious bear_grin)  How do they do it?  I would just love to know.   Curiosity is killing this cat  bear_grin

Many thanks, Ali

Dreli-Bears Dreli-Bears
Salzburg
Website

well I hope somebody will share this secret with us, I just do the hand-embroidered noses and once I tried to do a felted nose ...... well only once!!!!!  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Hope to find more posts of those fantastic artists, who are able to do this wonderful job!!!!

Geralye Belper, Derbyshire

Are they perhaps talking about needle felting?
bear_wacko

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

The ones I have read have used apoxy sculpt, a type of resin that hardens once the two parts are mixed. I haven't used it myself, but I imagine you just shove it in place and then shape and mould it while it's still malleable and it sticks to the fabric. I do wonder, though, whether in the long term, it will react with the fabric and break it down (and subsequently fall off!). It sounds pretty noxious, so I would be inclined to keep away from it. I have always preferred to use natural materials in my bear making. Perhaps those on this forum who use apoxy sculpt can enlighten us further.  bear_original

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Yes they are talking about epoxy clay. You mix to parts together to make it harden.  When you first mix it it is very tacky and sticky.  You can stick it directly onto just about anything.  I have never used it directly on fabric, but I have used it over a needle felted nose.  I can tell you that it did not want to stick directly onto the wool.  I had to seal it first and sand it a little then it did adhere. 

I know that some people can be bothered with it, but it does not bother my skin.  I know nothing about it deteriorating fabric.  It seems once it's hard it is done with its chemical process.  I have not noticed any adverse reactions to the wool where I have applied it.

Joanne

ps  I have used Apoxie Sculpt and All Game, they are pretty much the same except for the color.

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

I don't sculpt directly onto the fabric, but I use Milliput Epoxy clay for noses.  You can buy it in black.  I use a different application method.   I use sculpting tools to shape the nose, and while it is still pliable, I gently press it against the fabric where it will fit on the face. I continue gently moulding so that the back of the nose is a good fit on the face.  I then remove it and carefully place a glass teddy eye into the back of the clay, with the metal loop sticking out.  I leave the nose to harden overnight and then attach it in the same way you attach an eye (thread through loop, then flatten the loop using pliers).  I add a little glue to the back of the nose just to stabilise it. 

Regards

Sue

K Pawz Guest

desertmountainbear wrote:

Yes they are talking about epoxy clay. You mix to parts together to make it harden.  When you first mix it it is very tacky and sticky.  You can stick it directly onto just about anything.  I have never used it directly on fabric, but I have used it over a needle felted nose.  I can tell you that it did not want to stick directly onto the wool.  I had to seal it first and sand it a little then it did adhere. 

I know that some people can be bothered with it, but it does not bother my skin.  I know nothing about it deteriorating fabric.  It seems once it's hard it is done with its chemical process.  I have not noticed any adverse reactions to the wool where I have applied it.

Joanne

ps  I have used Apoxie Sculpt and All Game, they are pretty much the same except for the color.

Ditto what Joanne said! the primer is the key to get it to stick to the needlefelting.

hugs,
Krista

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

Hi,

Andrea I've not tried needlefelting yet - was it fiddly is that why you only did it once?  bear_grin

Geralye - no I think it was epoxy clay that was used   bear_original

Linda - that was what I was thinking.  bear_ermm

Joanne - thank you for explaining it for me.  It does sound fiddly, but I love the bears that have them.

Sue - Whilst looking for epoxy clay on ebay, I found Milliput and before your post I was going to ignore it, but I think I might just give it a go.  It sounds very similar to how I use the fimo but without using the oven.   I loved the nose you made for your latest bear (and of course the rest of him. bear_grin )  It looked so realistic (almost wet).

Krista - thanks for confirming that this is the way you do it too!

Thank you all for answering me - I can now sleep at night NOT thinking of noses  :crackup: 

Hugs Ali

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Lovethosebears wrote:

Thank you all for answering me - I can now sleep at night NOT thinking of noses  :crackup: 

Hugs Ali

LOL!!!  I know what you mean bear_happy

Board footer