Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

I have often wondered what happened to all of the artists that I "grew up" with through magazines like Bear Creations.  So many of them don't appear to be doing bear making any more, their websites are down or no longer exist.  I guess I am curious why someone with such a great talent just stops doing what they do best.  Or maybe they just get caught up in life  bear_ermm ?

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Leanne,
From my experience, I'm a long timer, there are many reasons why, particularly, well-known artists leave the spotlight. Working full-time in the bear field is very hard work; you have to be constantly evolving and creating new designs. Then there is the promotion, shows, and selling of your work. Also the years of work take a toll on your body, wrist problems, nerve damage, back problems. And as you have said, sometimes the Muse just leaves or other parts of your life become more important. With this tight economy some artists are forced to seek other work to make a living.
Karen
P.S. So far I'm hanging in there ~ Full-time bear/cat artist

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Me too!  I've been creating bears for way too long to know what else to do with myself now! bear_tongue

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I wonder if anybody knows what happened to Diane Guard? I love her bears? Also Wanda Shope? Anybody know?

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

Thanks for your replies - I can understand why they drift off into other things - I guess I just miss them.   bear_cry

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I left for a long time while I raised my daughter.  When I first started there was no internet so shows were the way for me to sell.  It was too hard to do shows with her in tow.  We live far from our families so there was no one to watch her.  When she got older I stepped back in, by that time things had changed and the internet had taken over for sales.  Took me a long time to learn how to use a computer, another hurtle, but I did.

Joanne

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I'm not sure, but I heard that Wanda Shoppe is now writing screen plays?  Someone correct me if I'm wrong!  Yes, sometimes careers change bear_original  I'm not an old timer...(meaning since the 80's/90's) but have been doing bears full time for 9 years anyways bear_original  The marketing takes up as much time as bear making!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Hi Laura Lynn: Wanda is writting screen plays. Wow what a career shift.  I think she made wonderful bears. I hope she is doing them for fun still....

Board footer