Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

I am making a white bear and decided to use a dusty rose for the nose.  When I normally do the black noses I touch them up here and there with a black fabric pen.  I didn't think about this when I selected the dusty rose but it will be next to impossible to find a fabric pen the same color.  This color really show any imperfections and there are a couple of spots where the embroidery spacing is just a little off.   I'm making this bear as a special gift for someone and any thing that could go wrong has. Any suggestions?

starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

Don't know if this will help but maybe if you rub a little beeswax on the nose and then buff a little - I have found that a little wax like this will smooth down the embroidery thread (spreads it a little to fill gaps  - however  maybe try it on another try out nose embroidered on fabric first!!
Hope someone else comes up with a better suggestion
PS tape aroudn the nose first with masking tape!!
:hug:
Anne

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Can you pop in another thread and just go back to the spots that are a little too far apart and fill in the empty space?  Or if it is around the edge of the nose, outline it is black all the way around the nose then use your pen if needed.  I always put a piece of felt or ultrasuede under the nose the same color of the embroidery floss so that imperfections don't show as much.  You could always do a second layer of nose, uuuuugggggghhhh!
Good luck, isn't it always the way that it works when you want something to be extra special you get all these challenges!
Donna

newbearland Christchurch, New Zealand

Hi Sandi

How about using a coloured pencil of a similar colour to shade the edges of the nose to hide/blend the imperfections.....you could then use the same colour around the paw pads, eyes, ears etc if you wanted.

Mel

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Just thought of one more trick.  Slide the blunt end of the needle under the stitches on the nose.  Run the needle up and down the length of the nose, this will help smooth out the stitches.  Learned that from Kathleen Wallace.
Donna

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Great ideas! I have nothing to add. My vote is to go back and fill in with another piece of the dusty rose floss! Sounds like a pain but in the end may be less risky than anything else?

Good luck!  :hug:

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I agree with Donna and Daphne go back and fill in

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

Thanks Ladies - I ended up going back in with the dusty rose floss and filling it in.  I would have done that when I was doing the nose but I didn't realize I had a problem until later.  The nose now is hard and very hard to stitch but I did it.  My first reaction was to wax it but since that is a new procedure for me I knew that would end in disaster.  Also filled in and blend around the edges.  It looks much better now.

Sandi

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Yay, Sandi! I'm glad all is well!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

UGGH! arent noses a pain! LOL This is why all but one of my noses have been black! I can fill in with prisma marker and then I lacquer the nose also... both of which fix any imprefections bear_original

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

I just wanted to say I love your avatar bear, Sandi  bear_wub .
Glad you managed to fix the nose of your latest bear :).

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

Thanks Marion - Thanks every one

newbearland Christchurch, New Zealand

Don't forget to show us piccies when you are finished.

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

I'll post a picture when she is finished.  Unless something else goes wrong and I go nuts and chop off her head or something.  My problems started right from the beginning when I cut it out.  I had two pieces for the same size of the head.  I haven't done that since the first bear I made.  He had two left arms. 

Sandi

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

I was going to suggested cutting out a piece of duct tape, paint it to match and stick it on the nose... he he  bear_grin  bear_grin

But seriously, I would do just want you did go back in and fill with the floss that is the easiest.

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

I have completed my troublesome little bear and posted her picture in the showcase section.  When all was done the nose looked OK.   

Sandi

Board footer