Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

The "club" I have consists of my cousin's nine-year-old daughter and me! bear_laugh I made her a special teddy bear for her third birthday (which she named Trua), and now that we live nearby, I get to see Trua quite often, and she can see the bears I have in progress and all my supplies and photos. I am helping her learn to make a bear (which I'll do most of the work on), but that way she'll have a companion for Trua when we finally get it finished. At least it's cut out--of some synthetic fur I've had for a few years. (Heh! Reminds me of the synthetic challenge!)

Have fun forming a club!  bear_flower

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Thanks for sharing, Daphne, and for all the good ideas. Well, except for the teaching bit. I'm the one who needs a teacher! bear_laugh

bearlady13 Posts: 177

I don't get out much except to grocery and doctors. I make most of my bears while waiting at the doctors for my husbands appointments. I take care of him, he has a lot of medical problems.  I did teach my 10 year old neighbor girl how to make miniature teddy bear about 6 inches tall.  She has made 3 so far. She just moved this month to the new home they bought but came down to get more information and to make sure she understood the other patterns and stitches before she moved.
I wish I could find a few more kids that want to learn. Not to many people around here, even know how to sew a button on something. A bear club in the neighbor hood sounds wonderful. I am glad you all are here to share and talk too about bears. Thanks for being here. :hug:

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

I would love to be in a bear club.  I don't believe there are alot of artists in TN but I would be willing to drive a distance to participate in one.  bearlady13 I think it is great that you have taught your young neighbor how to make bears!   :clap: I love it when craftsmanship of any kind is passed along to another generation.

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

I would just love to be in a bear club however I don't really have the time either ~ starting one sounds like fun I just don't think there are many bear-makers where I am or even near where I am ~ they're all doll makers here.

And teaching a younger generation how to make bears is great! When they want to learn that is lol. There was a little boy who used to live near our studio and he'd come around and watch us sew - then one day he asked if we could teach him how to make his very own bear. WELL was that a challenge! He sewed one arm (on a 6" bear - so not big lol) and decided it was easier to buy one of our bears. When I explained that our bears were quite expensive, he pulled $150 out of his pocket and offered it to us for one of our smaller bears!!!! Can you believe some of the kids these days?

Most of you would probably be surprised that I am quite young, too, but I have always been aware I'm totally different to most people my own age ROFL bear_original Not insane just different!!  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

mulberrybendbears Posts: 16

Oh I wish there was a bear club around me - I'm in San Francisco. We don't even get bear shows around here! :(

It would be so wonderful to learn in person and share. Likewise, I wish there were teddy classes near me - there's certain parts of sewing I have lots of trouble with (as silly as it sounds, tying off my knots and burying them are STILL a mystery to me. I can't seem to figure out how to do it right ever!) and ...I thiiiinkkk I do the back-stitch right?? but that's really just from looking at diagrams online!

My noses and smiles also need some work. Sigh! bear_original it would be great to meet up with other bear artists and just have it shown to me the right way.

Board footer