Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I thought I'd throw this out there to see if I could find any takers.  I propose a challenge where we make a bear entirely by feel without using sight.  You can use sight to cut out the pattern because I can't even do that, but the sewing should be done by feel.  For those of you who don't know, I'm almost totally blind and I'm a bear maker.  I've had challenges that most people don't have.  I just thought it would be fun to see if anybody else would try this.  If you do it and you think your bear looks weird, I know a collector who would adore them, BTW.  Bearlove to you all.

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

I'd be in that  bear_original I'd love to try a bear made in your shoes (figuratively lol) and think it would be a good lesson in so many ways. Count me in if the challenge goes ahead  bear_grin

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

Jessie, you know I would try but I don't know if it would turn out to be a bear at all... :crackup:

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Lenora, you should still try it.  If he looks goofy I would still love him.  I had one little guy that came out as not a bear at all.  I gave him to a kid at church and she loved him.  Actually she was a teenager, but she likes bears.

I don't think mine would look great either to be honest but that's not why I want to give it a go, I just think it would be a good learning experience. And I make alot of griffons, dragons and unusual creatures anyway ~ my bear made by feel couldn't look less bear-like then them lol.

Count me in if the challenge goes ahead.

Jodie Ruhrgebiet

Count me in, please. I'm just a beginner in bearmaking, but I want to give it a try.  bear_thumb

Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Missouri
Website

So, we need a due date for our braile teddies?

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Would some time in February be okay?  I know the Christmas season is coming up, so I figure that would give people plenty of time so they can sell their bears they have to make.  BTW, it doesn't have to be a bear.  It can be anything you want.  The only rule is that you can't use your eyeballs except for cutting out the bear because I can't ask someone to do something I don't know how to do.

Missouri
Website

Works for me!

Jodie Ruhrgebiet

Okidoki, I try to do my best.  bear_thumb

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Yay.  I can't wait to hear everyone's experiences doing a braille bear.

Jodie Ruhrgebiet

I think it is very difficult for a person who is able to see, make some things without looking, only touching with the hands.   bear_wacko  Before I start to sew, I look for a simple teddy pattern which gives me more chance to make my bear look like a bear and not like something else.  bear_grin

I'm so glad we have until Feb as I have about 17 custom orders piled up to work through and I think I'm going to be working on them for quite some time, but I'd love to enter this challenge so if I get time I will try and make something for it.... maybe it will be a dragon or something so it doesn't have to look like a bear lol.

I hope I get the time to enter something..... I recently entered a comp on another forum and since then my bears have really taken off. Trouble is, no one wants to buy the bears I already have for sale - they all want custom made ones and I can only do so much, around 1 bear a week so I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the minute but will try to make something for the challenge! If I don't get it in on time for the challenge I want to give it a go anyway, just for myself as I really want to it's something that is important to me. bear_original Can't wait to see everyone's creations!

KiddoBears KiddoBears
California

Hi Wubbie! If I am not too late I would like to give it a try. I can cut vegtables and peel potatoes in my hands closing my eyes. I get cut if I use a cutting board. I have done this since I was very young.
One of my mothers that raised me was blind and she used to do everthing. Cooking,sewing and raising children.
I think I would be able to sew a bear just by touch. It would be a challenge for me too. I know I would poke my self many times with the needle in the process but its worth trying. bear_thumb in your challenge. What size does he have to be? :hug: to you
Something Xtra bear_grin Also if anyone belongs to facebook I would like to add you as friends. If its Ok.
I am new to it and still learning to move around you can find me with my name. bear_grin  :hug:  again to all!

Stuffed Lincolnshire

This is a brilliant idea for a challenge! I wanna join in, too. :)

I normally jab myself with the needle anyway....

Missouri
Website

My great aunt was blind and she cooked, washed dishes, cleaned her home and did everything for herself.  I remember thinking she was going to cut her fingers off but the last time I saw her was for her 75th anniversary!  Oh, yes, she also had glass eyes and the kids were always wanting her to take them out...KIDS!

Stuffed Lincolnshire

My grandad has a glass eye, I always dread him taking it out for some reason...maybe because I've never seen him without it.

I was thinking that a pattern that didn't need seam allowance would work out quite well, or you could mark seam allowance off with pins or something...

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

What I do with seam allowance is just do it by feel.  If you put the edge of your finger there and just have a little space, not right on the edge, you'll get it.  Of course you will stab yourself, but hey, all for the love of bears, right? 

There are no rules about size or style or anything, just that you have to sew only be feel.  If you think you'll have trouble with a regular pattern, I would highly recommend a flattie to start out with.

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

I'm willing to give it a shot.  Most times I'm paying attention to something else so I don't always pay attention to my sewing.  One time I sewed my finger to the bear. I didn't realize it till I went to pull the next stitch tight.  That was not a fun day.  But then I needle felt as well and anyone that does needle felting will understand what I mean when I say you grow immune to the stabs.  They happen.  I think to make sure that I do this only by feel I am going to work with my hands under a piece of cotton.  Light enough so it won't make it hard to move my hands but dark enough so that I can't see through it to what I am doing. Might be an idea for anyone that wants to peek. LOL

KiddoBears KiddoBears
California

Hi! again Wubbie bear_flower I deeply admire you... those that say I can't you show us its possible. I have read your blog which I liked very much you should make a children story book.and I promise to have one of your little ones for one of my grandkids that always tells me I can't. :hug:  I am planning in making my bear by feeling and touching just like you say.
But...I wanted to ask you Wubbie if we could use a thimble in our fingers so we don't get too many pokies on them.  I used to see my mother in law use these,they are metal.I make chile sauce for my family often and I do not mind the poke but no...no... want to feel that pain when I get chile to peel or smash it the old fashion way :crackup:  :hug:  :hug:

Missouri
Website

I use a lot of hot chilies in my cooking too and I know what you mean.  They always say wear rubber gloves but I don't.  I have rubbed my eye after chopping them though...ouch.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

You can definitely use a thimble.

Missouri
Website

How about a nice bright light and a magnifying glass????
C#

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

That would be cheating, C-sharp *throws a bear at Lenora*.

Board footer