Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

FrancesAnne Isle of Wight

BENJAMIN.jpgHe took me about three days to make and now that he's finished I absolutely love him!  He's by no means perfect - one arm somehow got a bit twisted and his head's very slightly lopsided but my excuse is it adds to his character!  He's 13 inches tall and made from a 'Sunny' (Bear Basics) pattern using brown-tipped beige mohair with real suede paws. I attempted needle sculpted paws (not very successfully) and a little painted shading around his eyes.  He's weighted with Shot, and has nut & bolt joints and a growler, but sounds a bit like a sheep!  I don't mind his faults because he's just for me and I thoroughly enjoyed making him.  I'm going to use him as my avatar.  I'm now looking forward to making another bear.  Do you think I'm hooked....?  bear_original

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Well-done! :clap:  :clap:  :clap: That's a first-rate nose for a first bear, and he's just completely cute overall. (I've made the twisted arm before, and figured out it was my pinning that caused the twist, which I then sewed into place. It helps me if I pin using opposite points--one on top, one on the bottom, one on the left, one on the right, etc.--instead of pinning my way around the limb clockwise as I used to do.)

Enjoy your new addiction! bear_flower

Becky

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Oh yes, very well done, FrancesAnne!  :clap:   It's hard to imagine this is your first bear.  bear_thumb

He looks really great: lots of bearsonality and very huggable.  I am sure you are hooked now and that the next bears will get better and better.  :dance:

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & the bears

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

I agree with everybody else, you are hooked! But when first attempts are so succesful as yours, it's difficult to think you would stop at one bear!
He's lovely, I expecially admire the shading, it took me many bears to gather the courage to try it, and I still have a lot of learning to do on the subject. You must be proud!  :clap:
Welcome to the 'addicted' clan!  bear_laugh

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

He is very well done - and there will never be another one like him in your heart, no matter how perfect they become!  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

FrancesAnne Isle of Wight
dangerbears wrote:

......... figured out it was my pinning that caused the twist, which I then sewed into place. It helps me if I pin using opposite points--one on top, one on the bottom, one on the left, one on the right, etc.--instead of pinning my way around the limb clockwise

Becky

Thank you Becky for that tip.  As soon as I read your comment I realised what I'd done!

Thank you all so much for your encouraging comments!  He really is my first bear - I once made a huge lion for my small sons (about 25 years ago) big enough for them to sit on, but that's the only other 'cuddly' I've ever made.  My second pattern and some more 'bear bits' arrived in the post today, so I'm really looking forward to starting another one now.

Frances

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub  bear_wub What a great bear.  the nose is perfect, and the face well trimmed.
The color is beautiful.  I would keep making bears, your talent is showing.  Thanx so much for sharing
Hugs Pat bear_flower

HeidiBears florida

Beautiful bear!!!! Really well done!  bear_original  Congratulations!  :dance:

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

:clap:  :clap: He is an amazing first bear!  You should see mine.  Poor things are so ugly only my mother loves them.   :doh:

I love his nose especially.  Just like Becky, I pin opposite points on my arms also so they don't get twisted.  Sometimes I have to do this on the bodies as well if it is a particularly "slick" mohair.

A tip for lopsided heads that I read on TT ( I think that is where I got it) is to hold the bears head up and look at it in the mirror.  It really works!  For some reason you get an entirely different perspective on it.  This works for eye placement as well.

Great job on a handsome first bear!! :hug:

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

Wow, what a wonderful first bear!  Congrats ;O)
Hugs,
Janice

Board footer