Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Gabrielle, yours is a STELLAR nose, because it's perfectly centered on the seam as well as where the line comes down toward the mouth (what is that called, anyway? I know that our faces have a name for that indent between nose & mouth but don't know if we've ever given that thread portion a title!!??!) 
I often take screen captures and then flip the images upside-down to check for balance: the eye can see immediately when features are 'off' - yours is in prefect balance with itself and with the eye placement, which are also eqi-distanced from the face's centerline and horizontally leveled. I might have just moved the center indent for the mouth the merest fraction over to the teddy's right by about the width of one of your threads...but don't take this as a critique!! just one person's opinion... (I'll bet you didn't know that others might be checking you out so thoroughly did you!) You know I think the world of the work you do, in this and in the other areas!!!

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

Not only a perfect nose, Gabriele, a very charming face to go with  bear_thumb  I agree with you that many times the material and type of nose enhances a particular style and changes the character of the bear, but for my money, there is nothing like an embroidered nose!!!

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

As a collector and an artist, I prefer embroidered.  Many of my collector's prefer embroidered, too - or embroidered with layered wax.  I do believe it depends on the bear.  A well sculpted nose can be stunning on the right face.  Joanne Livingston's needle felted noses are superb, too!   Jessie, you can buy felt nose templates from on line bear supply stores - they come in various sizes and shapes.  You peel and stick it where you want it on the face and then embroider over it, so you can use that as a guide.  I make my own wool felt templates for each bear and embroider over that but with minimal eyesight, I would recommend the ready made templates!
Hugs,
Janice

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

:crackup: Michelle you cracked me up!  I used to have the same problems when varnishing clay noses.  And while they were drying my mother would always see them on paper plates and tell me they looked so much like candy they made her hungry!  :crackup:

When I make my bears I like to think of them being on some future episode of Antiques Roadshow in 2080 for evaluation.  bear_rolleyes   Crazy I know but we all have delusions of grandeur.  And this is why I do the noses with the three steps the way I learned from the Perfect Nose course at EBearz University.  I have added a fourth step and I seal the nose with a matte varnish that you can't see or feel.  I want them to stay on!  I adore the look of the clay noses and I think they add a "cuter" look to the bear but I don't want my bear to be without a nose on Antiques Roadshow.  That's all I'm sayin.  bear_grin

I embroider with the thread that is used for needlepunch because I like the look of it compared to the shinier looking embroidery thread.

Paula, your noses are outstanding!

DBears D-Bears
Dayton Ohio
Website

I would love some tips on needle felted noses  if anyone is willing to offer some help. Thank you in advance bear_original

Robin-Bears Posts: 158

I have a question:
How do I do a small polymer clay nose, I mean do one always use wire????
How do one fix the polymer clay nose to the fabric?
many many thanks.

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

I have made a tutorial explaining how I do it a while ago:
Making a polymer clay nose:
http://kaleideascope.blogspot.ch/2012/1 … orial.html
Attaching it:
http://kaleideascope.blogspot.ch/2012/1 … eedle.html
I hope it can help you!  bear_original

Thank you Francesca  bear_original
I only wonder when I want some more smaller noses, do I also use wire?
thanks in advance

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Yes, you can use wire on small noses. I have done some minis in the past, and used the same technique. With a small nose you can simply make a loop with some thin wire, curl tight the two endings and bury them in the clay, instead of using a looped glass eye!  :)

With very tiny and 'flat' noses, such as cats' noses for example, I simply glue them with a very strong glue.

thanks  bear_original
I will try that the next time.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

DBears, what is it exactly that you would like to know. Maybe I, or someone here can give you answers to what it is you need.

Board footer