Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

FrancesAnne Isle of Wight

My latest creation (a yorkshire terrier) has what I can only describe as one or two bald patches  bear_sad   I haven't pulled the hair out, it's just not a very dense pile.  The long wavy hair seems to hide that until it's parted like on the head gusset seam lines.  Is there a way to root bits of hair into the thin areas, and how do I do it?  He's only a few days old - he's too young to be going bald!!!

binglebears bingle bears
Upstate, NY

Joanne of DesertMountainBears shows how she root extra mohair into a felted face on her blog using felting needles.  You can see it here:  http://desertmountainbear.blogspot.com/ … -face.html .  Joanne does such amazing work and is so generous with help and information.

Warmly,
Cheryl

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Thanks Cheryl,

Joanne

Thank you Cheryl for pointing m ein the right direction.  I should have guessed Joanne would have a solution for this problem!  That's so clever!  Just one other question - if my dog's nose is not needle felted how can I lock the strands of hair into the mohair backing fabric?  The head is stuffed with polyfil, will it just lock into the filling?

Joanne, I've spent ages browsing your website and your Blog, it's so INTERESTING.  It's very kind of you to share your bear knowledge with other people, and I love the tour around your Studio - how TIDY you are, puts my craft room to shame!!!  Must tidy up tomorrow.......

wrote:

FrancesAnne ......how can I lock the strands of hair into the mohair backing fabric?

I've just found the answer to my question, thanks to Bobbie Ripperger.  I 'needle sculpted' tufts of hair into the head where I wanted them.  He looks so much better now!

Thanks again!

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

I love Joanne's blog too Frances, and I look at your workroom Joanne and wish mine looked like that! Mean while if I spent as much time tidying our own studio as I do drooling over everyone else's, it would be spotless by now lol.

Glad you found the answers you were after Frances bear_original

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I am a neat freak, it is sad.  I can not function with clutter. 

The mohair will lock into the polyfill.  Polyfill will also felt. Glad it worked out for you.

Joanne

Board footer