Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Have any of you bought that fur that is on special for $39.95 ? It's 1/2" ultra sparse  peach  with a dark brown back...I just got mine...

I bought it to experiment with...oh my....What am I gonna make with it  ? What would you all make out of it ? It would be fun and interesting to know...come on...spit out those ideas...
I know ,a peach catapillar , nahhhhh, not fuzzy enough. What the heck is an animal that is peach but has dark brown skin...sort of a  weirdie animal , a bird ? NO ...a bird would not choose this even as a disguise.

What were they thinking of when they made this fur ? Even more wondersome is why did I buy it ? ..to experiment with as suggested ? I need a kick start... maybe I should try and over dye it ? or under dye it, he, he...can you do that ?  I think Intercal shoild give me a prize if I can actually come up with something other then a bear....Winney

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I bought a yard of this mohair and love it.  However, I make a lot of the old looking bears and this will be perfect.  I also will probably do an old rabbit.

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Ooh, yes, Millie. I can see a chocolate/peach oldie looking rabbit.  I think I might like to use it for some extra wonky amimes.  Gee!  I guess I better buy some before they sell out. :rolleyes::lol::D

White City, Oregon

Oh...you gals will get me going yet...yes, an old chocolate bunny would be just the ticket...and some extra wonky animes...what else ?... Chocolate cats...chocolate dogs ...chocolate chickens...???

I am strongly inclined to overdye it with red ...or blue...I have a strong compulsion to do it......it's like I can't help it...it is holding a spell over me...maybe a curse ..LOL

Well, I need to hit the hay. Maybe I will have  dream about what this new critter will be..I know it sure will be different...Winney

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

It sounds like the kind of mohair that would do wonderfully, once you finish whipping up your critter, with one of those folk-art, vintage treatments.  Like a pinked-edge, gigantic bow.  Or a tea-dyed plaid neck ruff.

I never thought I'd be able to make a nice bear out of the very short, very sparse, MINT GREEN mohair I had in my own stash, but in the end it sold wonderfully well and I'm now using it in my avatar!

White City, Oregon

And, indeed a very nice bear at that  Shelli . First off  the  attention is to the smoothness, a velvety look, soft...goes with the bears face, soft and snugly....

I did not dream last night , what happened ? My husband had Jim Nori on, altho he was asleep . I got side tracked from peach sparse fur to UFOs ....then I was abducted into a deep sleep.It's  true...LOL

OK...so now, does anyone else have any other ideas ? I don't yet...Winney

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

A moose... chocolate moose.... I have a pattern if you are interested. It's my own... it's on my website if you want to see what it looks like. Seriously, moose are very mangey in the spring as they loose their winter coat.

I'm always looking for something unique and different to use.... I think I'll go have a look at this peach mohair. Anyone able to give me a quick link, I have to be honest, if I go searching for it I'll find 5 other mohairs I'll want to try in the process of trying to find the peach!!!

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website
White City, Oregon

Daphne...Great idea...No, I want to design my own pattern for whatever it is...stay tuned ,as I will come up with something ..no telling  when but I will...he, he..Winney

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Ladies, I think I just bought the last yard of the chocolate-peach mohair.  The ad said there was only 1+ yards left, so I ordered a yard and asked for the remnant too. bear_laugh

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Good, I knew if I just waited til morning it would be gone... I have so much mohair I ought to be using. It's like quilting fabric... I buy anything I see that I like, with out a plan for it... I could make a hundred quilts... of only there was enough time.... SIGH!

Laure, have fun with it! Be sure to let us know what you make out of it!!

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Well... like you, Daphne, I have much more mohair than I'll ever know what to do with, but can rarely resist an interesting buy on it.  Johnna called me and offered me not only the extra 1/3 yd, but said she had another 1/2 yd of it as well, and did I want that too?  Well, duh!!!  Of course, I took all the extra pieces.  It was such a great price that I will feel fine about torturing it all kinds of ways. bear_tongue  I will be sure to post the results.

Ohio

Just thought I'd show you a picture of Arthur.  He is made with the same mohair as is on special just a different color.  This was a piece in the bargain list with some nap reversal.  As you hopefully can see, I have done some distressing on him.  I even found some old fabric in my grandmother's things that I made a patch with.  He also has antique shoe button eyes.
IM001241.jpg

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh Millie he is just awesome!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ooooh, Millie, . . . . sooo cute!

White City, Oregon

Milli...He came out wonderful ! NIce antiquing , something I will try someday....Winney

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Millie what a beautiful man! Love that color guys. I was expecting something lighter but am pleasantly surprised. Wonderful color and wonderful bear!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Hugs Louise

Ohio

Thanks everyone.  I love making these old looking bears.  My imagination goes into high gear when I look at the mohair Intercal has available.

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Very nice bear, Millie.  Your distressing looks great too.  I'm eager to try some more distressing.  A technique I've been hearing about in the cloth doll arena is for baking the item.  I'm not sure just what that does to the item, or if you have to treat it some way first, but all the ones I've seen appear to be made of muslin and they come out kind of grey-black.  I'm just wondering if someone knows more about that technique, and if it might do something interesting to mohair.

White City, Oregon

Sounds kinda  smoky to me...old Smokey the bear... Smokey the doll. Grandpa  & Grandma Singe-ers.
Just don't try it out with synthetic fur,,,he, he,,, you will have a melting goopy looking  bear  but.... that could be a new style?
Don't laugh..I read about someone who was taking those cheapie bears you  get a Walmart and hanging them in some caves somewhere. The caves drip some sort of  whatever that forms a crusty mummified look to the bears then they take them out and sell them to tourists....true, no kidding ..LOL
Then I am sure some of you have seen the " scented waxed over bears " ? Same Walmart bears ( man are they making some money ) they are imbedded with wax and have a wick...you can still see its a furry bear underneath.
I wonder how far you can burn that candle for before you have a " Bear Fire "....LOL... Winney

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Wierd stuff, Winney! bear_shocked  There is an offbeat bear trend that really irks me; it's the politically incorrect bears, with mean, ugly, scary, gross, or otherwise inappropriate themes.  I'm sure that irking me is just the thing they were intended to do.  I wish they were banned from the market.  A teddy bear is supposed to represent all that is good, wholesome and loving.  It is obscene and perverted to twist their traditional image bear_angry

White City, Oregon

Politically incorrect , with inappropiate themes? ...where did you see them ?

May be they are the ones  I saw in our Ted magazine ....some bears that were Halloween type, monster, mummy. etc. they did not appeal to me. I thought they may appeal to some people who collect folk kinds of bears ,altho these were very dismal  looking to me, not cute at all....I would say they go along with the " Gothic " style you see some kids wearing today..suppose to shock people...which I think they look like aneorexic vampires..LOL...Winney

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Ooh Lovely bear Millie! Just gorgeous!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Millie , your bear is super superb  bear_laugh

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Sorry, I can't tell you where for sure I saw those, Winney.  I don't dwell long when I see stuff like that.  I graze past it in a hurry.  I think I saw that there were some on ebay, although I didn't take a look.  The others I think I may have seen in a magazine, and yes, I saw the ones in the teddy bear magazine too.  I probably shouldn't have opened the subject because I don't want to discuss the themes.  Hope you will understand. bear_noexpression

Board footer