Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Hi everybody!

I am getting nuts tonight because of an all new trouble happening to me.
I am using an iBook G4 with osX tiger.

Up to this afternoon, all ok.

Now impossible to connect to my google account or facebook without having my browser quitting suddenly. It does that with every browser I tested : safari, firefox, opera, camino, icab. for all these browsers, I used the lattest version possible.

Opera told me that it was not compatible anymore with Google +.

The problem is, I cannot update to more recent browsers as they are not compatible with my system!

I did not do anything special to have this happen. All was still fine this morning...

Does any of you have similar troubles?

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

I'm in the same boat, at the very edge before the Intel systems started. I think you can go as far as the Leopard 10.5.8? That's what I'm running. It's fairly stable. I only have problems once in a while with advanced videos. Saying that, it is strange that this would all happen suddenly? It may be some glitch in your computer. Have you tried emptying all your caches and doing a shut down/restart? How's the memory load?
Karen

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Thanks for your input, Karen.
I cannot install Snow Lepard on it as I have no version of Snow Leopard for PPC and see no point in buying it for a computer I only use once in a while. I have an intel G5 iMac but it is currently back in the shop where I bought it as its hard drive failed. So I use my iBook as a replacement computer. My iBook is also useful for the photography workshops I go to every ever saturday. Not the best for it as I have only photoshop elements 2 to work with my photos. I bought Adobe CS5 for my G5 but it works only on intel mac. I cannot afford to change my laptop and hate the idea to have to change a computers that works fine.

Back to my initial problem, I already did what you suggested and it changed nothing.

What do you mean when you ask "How's the memory load"?

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Found this for Power Mac: If all the browsers are crashing that means a plug-in is causing it. So go to the folder /HardDrive/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ and find the plug-in that is older or causing the crashing.
(Also, heard that the Flash player app can cause problems.)

Karen

Us Bears Pennsylvania

First off...

"Tiger" = OS 10.4
"Leopard" = OS 10.5
"Snow Leopard" = OS 10.6
"Lion" = OS 10.7
When OS 10.8 is released next summer will be named "Mountain Lion."

Confusing but what the heck are we going to do?  ;)

I suggest checking all your software updates.

Go to APPLE > Software Update... to see if your system has any updates waiting.  Allow your system to download and install them.

You might need to install an update for Java.  Check this page to see if you do:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/Java … _Release_9

I agree with Karen, somewhat.  You should check your plugins.  Make sure they are all up to date.  Yes, Flash is one of the plugins that causes the most trouble.

However, I think you should check to make sure that those plugins aren't messing you up.  Some plugins block cookies or other important features that you need to access certain websites.  If your cookie blocking plugin is stopping cookies from a certain website, it might not let you in.

I get onto plenty of websites with OS 10.3, one generation OLDER than yours.  I also have OS 10.6.
Neither of my computers has problems getting onto 99% of all websites I want to see.

gugu"s teddies gugu;s teddies
durban

Hi Ladies
Please excuse my ignorance but what are the above used for osXtiger,Leopard.Snow Leopard.ect ect
Ive never heard of these packages in SA What am i missing out on,imput would be appreciated
Thankyou Paula

Us Bears Pennsylvania

They are just the code names that Apple gives to the different versions of Mac OS X:
Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion...  In that order.

Lions and Tigers and Bears!  Oh, MY!   bear_grin

gugu"s teddies gugu;s teddies
durban

thanks for the info thought i was missing out on something
Hugs Paula

Us Bears Pennsylvania

People think it's funny because Apple is beginning to run out of cat names for their new upgrades.

They can't use "cougar."  There's a negative connotation with that word.
"Lynx" might be difficult because there are other companies that use that name.  Apple got sued for using "Tiger." (TigerDirect.com)

We still haven't used "Ocelot," "Caracal," "Bobcat" or "Jaguarundi" but I don't think any of those are good names.

The first version of Mac OS X was code named "Kodiak."  Why don't they start using bear names again?
We have a thousand little paws in the air voting for that, right now!  bear_laugh

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Just a little note to say nothing I tried worked to solve my problem...

So I just gave up and will wait patiently for my G5 iMac to be back home! I expect it to be ready by the begenning of next week. Fingers crossed I will have no problem reinstalling all my favorite apps on it. When it will arrive, it will come as "new" with Snow Leopard installed on the brand new hard drive, hehehehehehe! I asked for a bigger hard drive : 1 To instead of 500 Mo and will be charge 25 extra euros. So quite a good deal. I will not bother changing my Os X... Snow Leopard is fine. No need for Lion.

I miss my iMac's big screen (even though it was the smallest screen available when I bought it, but around 21" is big enough, more would have not fit on my desk).

Anyway, this was supposed  to be a short note and here I am telling you all my life!  :crackup:

Thanks again for your input.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

You don't need "Lion."  "Snow Leopard" is good enough.
I have "Snow Leopard" on my Mac Pro.  It runs fine.  No problems.

Yes!  A hard drive is a good thing to upgrade!  A Terabyte will be fine!
I've got 3 1T drives on mine plus a 500G as the master drive.  You can never have enough hard drive space.  ;)

It is also a good thing to get a 1T external, USB drive if you can afford it.
Mac OS has a feature called "Time Machine."  It automatically backs up your hard drive every hour computer is turned on.  All your files will be stored on the backup drive.  If you ever lose a file, even if you delete it, you can recover it from the backup.  All my files are backed up since the last year.  "Time Machine" has probably saved my bacon a half dozen times.  A backup drive is a good investment.

One other thing...  If you can afford to upgrade your RAM, it would be a good thing.
RAM is selling for approximately US $10 per gigabyte.  Upgrading your computer to 10G or more should cost you around $100.

For the speed and convenience, you get from having more RAM, it's a worthwhile expenditure.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Go to APPLE > Software Update... to see if your system has any updates waiting.  Allow your system to download and install them.

And this is a good reminder for all of us... every time that darned ole Software Update Window pops up and we click 'Not NOW!' (puuulEASE!) - as this is sometimes the outcome... (just checked now and there was only an iTunes update waiting, but I'm not waiting to be told again!! Heaven forbid I should lose one podcast episode!)
I've learned my lesson the hard way and say "Yes, Mom."
And shut down what I'm doing (even when I've got a kajillion windows open) and let it do its thing.
Trust me.
It's worth it in the long run.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

You can set Software Update to check automatically on a daily, weekly or monthly basis or you can set it to not check at all so that you have to manually go looking for updates.

Further, you can set Software Update to download updates automatically in the background.  Your computer runs pretty much normally and, when an update arrives, you get a message to install them.  Background installation is fairly painless.

Many updates require you to restart your computer but will allow you to delay the restart for an undetermined amount of time.  They are often applied automatically when you shut down the computer, anyway.  Basically, you just wait until you go to bed at night and, when you shut the computer down for the night, the updates can be applied then.

No fuss!  No muss!  bear_laugh

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Before bringing my iMac G5 to the shop to have its hard drive changed I bought a 2To external hard drive to be able to save all my datas.

So far I do not use time machine. I save my datas every few months on an external hard drive and so far, this is enough.

I will try to learn more about that time machine stuff. I know I have got it. It might come uselful when I use more my computer.

I do not feel like I need more RAM on my iMac : it runs perfectly and I will already have to pay a lot for the hard drive change : more than 250 €. That added to the external hard drive... Plus planned expenses for other stuff not related to computer... Already too much for that month!!!

My iMac is already a Ferrari to my view point. Why boosting it to a plane?  bear_tongue

Anyway, looking forward to have it back home.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

suburban Chicago

Hi Sophie,

I run Time Machine, and it's very good for looking at an older version of a document from yesterday or 2 months or 2 years ago. But it's still on this computer and if this computer fails... I'm toast!

I had a 500 GB external HD that saved every night at 2 AM and was humming along beautifully for a few years - - - until one March when we discovered that for some unknown reason it had stopped functioning in December. I felt very vulnerable—loads of business data: mailing lists, invoices, suppliers, N/L columns, book research, patterns, etc—were in danger of being lost. (At least we Macs don't face that dreaded Blue Screen of Death....) but crashes happen to every computer brand.

In July I purchased Crash Plan, one of the more recommended off-site programs for saving all of the data on your computer. For $25 a year it is a wonderful feeling of relief to know that all of my computer is 'somewhere else - on a cloud'! And I have no state-secrets or any sensitive material on my computer so I'm not trying to hide anything. It did take a little more than 3 months to completely  back up all of the hard drives however, as I just gave them the green-light to begin, and it slowly went through the entire 300+ GB used, though one can certainly choose individual files to save or to begin with.

The only thing not backed up was email: for that I opened a private Yahoo group (I'm the only member) and I just forward the mail I want to save to it.  Other ways I'd looked into just sent the mail forward as a non-specific, sequential number. Not good, as there was no way to identify any particular individual email you would be searching for.
I feel pretty well covered now!

Us Bears Pennsylvania

If your computer fails, there's nothing you can do regardless of your backup plan.  A backup plan is not for keeping your computer running.  It is for recovering AFTER your computer fails.  Keeping your data on a backup drive allows you to restore your data onto another computer or onto the same computer after you repair it.

It's like having a spare key to your car.  Your spare key doesn't prevent you from losing your car key.  A spare key is there to help you WHEN you lose your car key.

Yes, sometimes external hard drives will fail.  They are machines.  Machines occasionally fail.
Just replace the malfunctioning drive and back up your data again.  That's all there is to it.  With Apple and Time Machine, it's easy.  Just click a few buttons and you're back in business in a little while.

This is like the spare tire on your car.  Yes, spare tires sometimes go flat before they can be used.  If they do, that doesn't mean you can't drive your car.  That means that you have to go to the mechanic and get a new spare tire in case you get a flat while you are on the highway.

On-line, "cloud" backup is worthless, as far as I am concerned.  If your computer fails, you will STILL have to repair it or get a new one.  You will STILL have to restore your files to the new or repaired computer.  The thing is that you no longer have control of your data.

I don't care what you think about data security.  I am talking about CONTROL of your data.
Your computer data is YOUR PROPERTY.  Nobody has the right to tell you what you can or can not do with it.  Turning your computer data over to a third party allows THEM to control it.  THEY can tell you when, where and how you will be able to access it.  A third party now has control of your data and they can deny you access whenever they want.

On-line backup is like putting the key to your house in a safe-deposit box at the bank.  Yes, your key is safe but the bank now has the power to lock you out of your own house.  IF the bank is closed.  If you don't pay your safe deposit fee.  If the bank goes out of business.  If the bank is robbed.  You will be LOCKED OUT OF YOUR OWN HOUSE!

One thing that Time Machine does that on-line backups don't do is to back up your SYSTEM FILES.

If your computer fails or if your operating system gets corrupted, Time Machine can restore your computer back to the way it was on a given date.  If you get a virus.  If your computer crashes.  If your computer gets destroyed.  You can restore your entire system onto a new or repaired computer using Time Machine.  On-line backups don't necessarily do that for you.  If they do, they might charge extra.  Even if they don't you are still at THEIR mercy to get your computer back.

Time Machine is easy to set up.  First, get an external hard drive large enough to hold your data with space to spare.  A 1TB disk is usually sufficient but you could get a 2 TB.  Next, go to APPLE > System Preferences... and look for the Time Machine icon.  Open that icon and your Time Machine control panel will be there.

Mac Help can also tell you more.  Go to the HELP menu and type "Time Machine."

suburban Chicago

Oh, yes, I do understand that nothing will put the hard drives back into running order once something goes wrong. Fortunately we're only 2 miles from a major Apple store and the tower (MacPro) fits into a rolling suitcase and that goes into the car and then to the mall.
Well.. I've covered all of my bases, haven't I, Randy, with Time Machine, Crash Machine and the email backed up?

If your computer fails, you will STILL have to repair it or get a new one.  You will STILL have to restore your files to the new or repaired computer.  The thing is that you no longer have control of your data.

But it's not the control that I'm concerned about; nothing there is that time-sensitive that I must get at it within a matter of hours or days - like the bank analogy.

Just replace the malfunctioning drive and back up your data again.

But if the data has been lost, that's kind of hard to do! I'd rather know that it's been saved into 2 different types of systems, than put my trust into just one.

And if it's as you say, it's only the files and not the keys to the files, then those are still in the Time Machine, which should be recoverable when the HDs are restored (unless they're totally corrupted, which has also happened) and the link to access them is broken or missing?

I'm considering Crash Machine to be just a secondary set of 'folder & files' (for lack of my knowledge of a more technical general term for the guts of my machine) just because I don't want to put my trust into another external HD, because of the expensive one that once let me down.
And it's not in the budget to purchase another one if I did want to go that route.
So this was my best-judgment call of the feasible options I saw available to me, at least those that I could maneuver in and understandably operate by myself...I guess that's the bottom line.
Perhaps I'm not seeing this from a techy-enough angle, I know that you work in this every day and are 1 million times better at explaining this. I only know what works and what doesn't (or hasn't) because it's failed me in the 15 years of PCs and even the 18+ Mac yrs and I need to have it simple enough that I don't even have to open the " - - for Dummies' books.

One of these days I'm going to give myself the present of one-on-one, in-store time with a Mac Genius and get to ask all of the questions and get instructions for what's most important to me for the way I use my own computer.
Now THAT would be true luxury!
I will check into Mac Help, though, to see what they tell me about Time Machine - to refresh my memory!

Board footer